April 13th, 2010

Officials head to Russia after adopted boy's return

Top officials from the U.S. State Department plan to travel to Moscow this week to push Russia to allow adoptions by U.S. families to continue.

The trip comes after a U.S. family sparked outrage by sending an adopted 7-year-old boy back to Russia alone. Officials in Moscow have threatened to halt all adoptions by U.S. families.

"We were certainly shocked, as was everybody, about the return of the child. We are hoping to work with the Russians to continue the adoptions of children," said Michael D. Kirby, principal deputy assistant for consular affairs. "We have had over 50,000 children adopted from Russia. The vast majority are doing great here in the United States."

The woman who returned the boy, after adopting him last year, said he showed violent and psychotic behavior - and that officials in Russia had given no warning.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel • Russia • U.S.
  1. Kim

Shame on this woman. Does she think this child is a dog she can just dump and send back? I read about this last week in a British tabloid and wondered when US media was going to get wind of this disgraceful act.

April 13, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dan

So we can't adopt Russian children anymore. So what! We have enough children right here in the U.S. that need saving.

April 13, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. Tim

"The woman who returned the boy, after adopting him last year, said he showed violent and psychotic behavior . . ." Maybe so, but dumping a CHILD off on an airplane where he's at risk of god-knows-what from god-knows-who is a little on the psychotic side itself. There were better ways to handle this.

April 13, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. Adam S

Can someone please tell me why we need more children from abroad when there are plenty of children caught up in the foster care system already? Not to mention the fact the country has no jobs partially due to overpopulation. Is this all just a recipe for disaster.

April 13, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. jeff f

Like not being told something is a valid reason to return a kid!

April 13, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. MARLON LARA

Those people wjho adopted the child should be criminally charged. When you adopt, a child he or she must be accepted "as is". I knew the facts that those who had adopted the child already knows his condition before hand.

April 13, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. esmith512

The return of the adopted boy alone to Russia was an incredibly stupid, calloused, and illegal act. I completely understand the Russian authorities outrage at this action but would also like to advise them of the overwhelming number of successful and happy adoptions of Russian children to the United States. We in the USA are identically incensed at this action and cannot endorse the actions of the people who basically abandoned this child. These idiots do not represent us or speak for us and will be shortly brought to justice.

April 13, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

I think there should be an investigation into this before we rush to have Russia keep offering children for adoption.
    We don't know the story on the adoptive Mother or the child..
    But we do know enough about the Children from the orphanages who come to American families with many mental and behavior problems..
    It might be the right time to work towards having better outcomes.

April 13, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. Leeberson

Why in the world are we spending money on this? We have enough governmnent spending. And we have enough people here strugling. We don't need 50,000 more kids from Russia. Absurd!

April 13, 2010 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. Minnie

how do you go adopt a child, keep him for 1 year, and because he showed he had problems, you just put him on a plane and send him back? did you try therapy, counseling or anything to help this child? people shouldnt adopt if they cant handle the situation. these kids need not only a hoime and a family, but sometimes they need extra help. and if a person is not willing to do that, then dont adopt.

April 13, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

I myself would likely never adopt from within the US because of the news stories you see where the parents, after the adoption is done, you build a happy family, suddenly want to be part of their child's life and/or take them back. The US adoption system sounds moronic in regards to this, maintaining a life link to the parents who give up the child with the possible emotion and legal chaos looming in the shadows of what should be a wonderful experience.

April 13, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. CCB

I'm blown away by the lack of concern from this supposedly adopted parent. How can someone be so selfish, she was concern only about her needs and how he'd probably make her life better. When you adopt it's help the ones who can't help themselves. You can't give someone back for not working. a child is not a pair of shoes or a electronic device. This lady is a straight up whacko! And don't we have kids in the USA?? Where the hell is the love for are own needy children??????

April 13, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. deepwater805

Please Russia, don't close the door on these adoptions. There are hundreds of legitimate parents willing to give a child a good home. We promise not to let any more irresponsible whackos, like Hanson, get their sorry hands on anymore kids, and hopefully you won't allow anymore pyromaniac knife wielding Chuckies through either. So please don't close this valuable pipeline to a better life for some of your orphans.

April 13, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. Victoria

I'd like to respond to Adam S's posting about why we need to adopt from abroad.
    As an adoptive mother of two children from Vietnam, I can tell you why I (and many other people I know) chose to adopt abroad. If you want to adopt a child as young as possible in America, your choices are 1. to write a bio about yourself and hope a woman who is pregnant and putting her baby up for adoption chooses you or 2. to become involved in the foster care system and hope a child that you agree to foster has biological parental rights terminated and then you can begin adoption proceedings. I was not interested in waiting for someone to pick me or in welcoming a child into my home to later have it returned to the biological parents. I was 40 and I already have two biological children that I didn't believe should have "temporary" brothers and sisters. Also, many of the children in the foster care system are older and/or have special needs. If they have been abused or were born to drug addicted mothers, those are special needs that some parents don't want to choose. In adopting from Vietnam, I knew I was likely getting an infant from a young, poor mother. That's what felt right for me. There are certainly special needs with all adoptions and with biological children, as well. I would no more send an adopted child back than I would send a biological child back. Even though we had to wait a long time, I felt like international adoption offered an eventual promise of what we wanted. Domestic adoptions didn't feel like there was a guarantee that what I wanted would eventually be possible. Thanks for reading.

April 13, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. Yenta

There have been Russian problems with Russian adoptions before. There are seriously disturbed children palmed off on well meaning Americans. The adoptive parents are not provided with complete information. Then you get a situation such as this.

While the adoptive parents handled this situation badly, the Russians have to be more forthcoming with the dossiers of children put up for adoption. Sometimes they just get rid of their problems on the backs of well meaning Americans.

April 13, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |