April 19th, 2010

Security Brief: Radical Islamic Web site takes on 'South Park'

"South Park" showed the Prophet Mohammed disguised in a bear suit.

The radical Islamic Web site Revolutionmuslim.com is going after the creators of the TV cartoon series "South Park" after an episode last week included an image of the Prophet Mohammed in disguise.

Revolutionmuslim.com, based in New York, was the subject of a CNN investigation last year for its radical rhetoric supporting “jihad” against the West and praising al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. Its organizers insist they act within the law and seek to protect Islam.

On Sunday, Revolutionmuslim.com posted an entry that included a warning to South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone that they risk violent retribution after the 200th episode last week included a satirical discussion about whether an image of the prophet could be shown. In the end, he is portrayed disguised in a bear suit.

The posting on Revolutionmuslim.com says: “We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show. This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them.”

Theo van Gogh was a Dutch filmmaker who was murdered by an Islamic extremist in 2004 after making a short documentary on violence against women in some Islamic societies. The posting on Revolutionmuslim.com features a graphic photograph of Van Gogh with his throat cut and a dagger in his chest.

The entry on Revolutionmuslim.com goes on to advise readers:

“You can contact them [the makers of South Park], or pay Comedy Central or their own company a visit at these addresses …” before listing Comedy Central’s New York address, and the Los Angeles, California, address of Parker and Sloane’s production company.

Contacted by CNN, the author of the post, Abu Talhah al Amrikee, said that providing the addresses was not intended as a threat to the creators of South Park but to give people the opportunity to protest.

Over still photographs of Parker, Stone, van Gogh and others, the Web site runs audio of a sermon by the radical U.S.-born preacher Anwar al-Awlaki, who is now in hiding in Yemen. The sermon, recorded some time ago, talks about assassinating those who have “defamed” the Prophet Mohammed citing one religious authority as saying “Harming Allah and his messenger is a reason to encourage Muslims to kill whoever does that.” U.S. officials say al-Awlaki is on a list of al Qaeda leaders targeted for capture or assassination.

The clip ends with a warning on a graphic directed at Parker and Stone, saying “The Dust Will Never Settle Down.”

Al Amrikee said the purpose of including the al-Awlaki sermon in his posting was to remind Muslims that insulting the prophet is a severe offense for which the punishment in Islam is death. He said RevolutionMuslim may hold protests about the show.

Calls to Comedy Central were not returned.

Post by:
Filed under: Religion • Security Brief
  1. John

put these extremests in prison and take away all of their rights and see how much they like that, pieces of crap....

April 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chris

Southpark is amazing. They have every right to exercise the free speech that this country affords every citizen. Muslims need to enter this century. The Muslim people should be outraged about this website and its insinuations.... but they aren't because if they went on the computer they would be executed for practicing sorcery.

April 19, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. S

It's interesting that so many people are moved to comment about a comedy show, yet stories about the ongoing oppression and destruction that claims lives in countries around the world on a daily basis get significantly less comment and discussion. Very telling of our society.

April 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

Haha that website has been shut down, just tried to go to it, either the web provider dropped it or someone is DOS attacking them. I love it hahaha!

April 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

Do you really think the creator cares about a cartoon? Do you really think he wants to hear your whining and begging him for favors five times a day? That's just it, you don't really think about anything.....you ignorant brainwashed camel jockey. And for all of you "good" Muslims, your silence on the matter is an endorsement of their activities.

April 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mattie

These radical muslims are cowards in my book. They have yet to show me
    that there religion is peacefull.

April 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lance

goverment should close down the web site and deport these islamic bums.

April 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Schmit

I agree with most of these postings, great dialogue. As we can see in the majority of these conversations, we agree on the topic of personal liberty... free speech. Imagine that! Sweet sweet fellow Americans..I love you!

As someone said, if you don't like it, don't watch it. I'm a Christian and watched a few episodes and didn't like a lot of what I seen. Then came a day when they were poking fun at Jesus. Fine, that's their personal liberty to do so. My personal liberty is not approached upon because I chose to watch, and I then chose to change the channel. I always have a choice. I now choose to not watch the show. No harm, no foul.. no stress.. no big deal...and most importantly – no hate, strife, arguing, and a decrease in my chances of heart disease. 🙂

Did I agree with how they expressed their freedom of speech? Nope, not at all... but I cannot, in the name of my personal beliefs, say that they cannot have the same personal beliefs (liberty)... that's called hypocrisy.

Extremism says "They can't have the liberty to say things that I don't agree with!!! Kill them!" or basically "I don't have a choice in how I handle this anger... It's their fault!!" – pure hypocrisy. A real man (or woman) who stands for righteousness and good moral behavior says – "I don't agree, but it's ok. They have their own choice and I have mine. I choose to change the channel." end of story..

April 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Aaron

You guys should be happy it was a bear custome and not something like peter pan or a smurf

April 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. John

These so-called "Muslim" extremists making these threats are just a bad combination of anry and stupid, but every religion can claim a slice of that demographic. You'd think it silly to suggest that Christianity is a religion of violence and intolerance because some extremist so-called "Christian" groups have made terroristic threats, and carried through with them (Dr. Tiller, most recently). You could go into any church, mosque or synogogue in this country (or even a room full of atheists!), and find it populated with eminently reasonable and nice people who would never wish death on someone for a cartoon.

I say let the angry and the stupid enjoy their first amendment rights to the fullest degree. Allowing them to say their piece probably diffuses a lot more anger than shutting them down would. It also exposes their inanity to daylight, which is a fabulous disinfectant for such toxic ideas.

Nice work posters - there are some very thoughful comments on here! Yay free speech, comedy, discussion, and understanding. Boo stabbings!

April 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

why should there be a limit or a consequence to our freedom of speech? who has the right to declare what is right to say or what is wrong? if someone has a problem with an image or a video or something in that nature, you can protest or whatever...but even more simply put...do not watch.

April 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Vincent Brown

To Shahiq (comment#7) Say whatever you may about Jesus, make fun of him and exercise your right to free speech. And as Christians will do, we will forgive you, not threaten to take your life or try to send someone else to do it.

April 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The Crizzle

I watched that episode of south park and I wondered if i might hear something about it later... unfortunately I was right. I have to really admire the balls of the comments posted by whoever @ revolutionmuslim.com. When has islam not been in the middle of a revolution? In any case I would have to call BS on this because while extreme... if you can say that "I'm not threatening you.. I'm just saying that someone might kill you on my recommendation." I can say "Islam is truly evil and must be destroyed to have peace (not that i want christianity to replace it)... I'm not saying that i will destroy it...or even anyone i know.... but people might because I said they should!"

If that statement seems unfair then I think you need to ask yourself how that's the case. Southpark is satire and if you love america then you will discard this garbage and say tough shit if they didn't go "out-of-thier-way" enough to not offend another pushy religion.

April 19, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Guy

Totally side with the sentiment that we need to stand up for free speech. Europe let the world down by not standing up to defend this to begin with.

BTW, strictly speaking there is no injunction against depicting Muhammad visually in Islam. There is an injunction against depicting God visually in physical form, which has morphed thru the years into a general proscription against the use of human forms in religious art -hence all the geometric forms in Islamic architecture, the mosques etc -which are quite beautiful.

The best way to understand the importance of Muhammad in islam when comparing Christianity and Islam is to do this bit of translation: man to book and book to man.

Jesus theologically is the same as the Q'uran and Muhammad plays the same role as the bibie. That is to say that in Christianity salvation comes thru Christ and in islam through the Q'uran. The word of God is broadcast in Christianity through the bible and in Islam through Muhammad. hence, it should be more theologically offensive to defame the Q'uran than to insult the prophet, as Muhammad was only human and was never raised to the level divinity. His role as the Seal of the Prophets leaves him still as a mere mortal - nothing more.

But as in most religions, over time, there are additions to belief that do not conform with orthodoxy and are often used to impose outcomes on people. This is such a case. It's hard to believe that any devout, pious Muslim believes that Van Gogh deserved to be killed for his art. But the absence of criticism from the global Muslim community is deafening.

There is absolutely no room for threats when it comes to creatibve expression.

April 19, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bill

I find it amazing that our goverment continues to import muslims and allows them to threaten the population, if these backward people want to act like they did in the old country . then they ought to stay in the old country.

as far as images of mohammed go nobody alive today has ever seen him and there if there is no image of him allowed thru history, then he could look of be anybody , so any caricature.art work of him is imaginary, so what's to get upset about. these people do nothing as a group to promote america , so let's send them back , if needed revoke their citizenship, I am sure they would do much better in iraq.

May the ReaL GOD BLESS THEM