April 19th, 2010

Security Brief: Radical Islamic Web site takes on 'South Park'

"South Park" showed the Prophet Mohammed disguised in a bear suit.

The radical Islamic Web site Revolutionmuslim.com is going after the creators of the TV cartoon series "South Park" after an episode last week included an image of the Prophet Mohammed in disguise.

Revolutionmuslim.com, based in New York, was the subject of a CNN investigation last year for its radical rhetoric supporting “jihad” against the West and praising al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. Its organizers insist they act within the law and seek to protect Islam.

On Sunday, Revolutionmuslim.com posted an entry that included a warning to South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone that they risk violent retribution after the 200th episode last week included a satirical discussion about whether an image of the prophet could be shown. In the end, he is portrayed disguised in a bear suit.

The posting on Revolutionmuslim.com says: “We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show. This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them.”

Theo van Gogh was a Dutch filmmaker who was murdered by an Islamic extremist in 2004 after making a short documentary on violence against women in some Islamic societies. The posting on Revolutionmuslim.com features a graphic photograph of Van Gogh with his throat cut and a dagger in his chest.

The entry on Revolutionmuslim.com goes on to advise readers:

“You can contact them [the makers of South Park], or pay Comedy Central or their own company a visit at these addresses …” before listing Comedy Central’s New York address, and the Los Angeles, California, address of Parker and Sloane’s production company.

Contacted by CNN, the author of the post, Abu Talhah al Amrikee, said that providing the addresses was not intended as a threat to the creators of South Park but to give people the opportunity to protest.

Over still photographs of Parker, Stone, van Gogh and others, the Web site runs audio of a sermon by the radical U.S.-born preacher Anwar al-Awlaki, who is now in hiding in Yemen. The sermon, recorded some time ago, talks about assassinating those who have “defamed” the Prophet Mohammed citing one religious authority as saying “Harming Allah and his messenger is a reason to encourage Muslims to kill whoever does that.” U.S. officials say al-Awlaki is on a list of al Qaeda leaders targeted for capture or assassination.

The clip ends with a warning on a graphic directed at Parker and Stone, saying “The Dust Will Never Settle Down.”

Al Amrikee said the purpose of including the al-Awlaki sermon in his posting was to remind Muslims that insulting the prophet is a severe offense for which the punishment in Islam is death. He said RevolutionMuslim may hold protests about the show.

Calls to Comedy Central were not returned.

Post by:
Filed under: Religion • Security Brief
  1. John D.

Just a reminder that Mohammad showed up in a previous episode of South Park as one of the SuperBest Friends.In neither episode was Mohammad maligned.

April 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ali

i am a muslim but i am embarrassed by my own people and i would want to convert but islam is in my blood and i was born muslim and my whole family was muslim my religion is my culture but i have seen many shows like family guy and south park make fun of jesus but christians dont go crazy

April 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nate

I feel sorry for Muslims who live a peaceful life and are in the awkward position of portraying Islam as peaceful when it has so many soulless, violent animals trying to define it as well.

But it also makes me laugh to hear such delusional talk of retribution. Personally, I know of plenty reasons why they should fear for their lives. Americans still have a bit of pride to protect.

April 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. nancy

Not likely the creators of South Park are Christian...and they'd mock Jesus just as soon as they would anyone/anything else others may consider sacred. ...South Park isn't my kind of humor but so what. ...suck it up and change the channel...or better yet, turn off the TV.

April 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. KKhan

I'm a Muslim living in the US. And while I agree with freedom of speech this crazy website "Revolutionmuslim.com" I think clearly pushes the boundary of free speech. When residing in the US it would be great if people of all backgrounds could respect the law of the land. In fact even if they were based in Pakistan I would hope that crazy fatwa spewing sites like this would be held accountable. I understand the need to respect our Prophet's legacy (SAW), but clining to these medieval reactions is holding all of Islam back. Yeah I don't want people trashing my religion, but living in a just society means you have to put up with hearing things you might not like and not resorting to beheading people. Plus South Park is wicked funny.

April 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Muslim

As a Muslim and South Park FAN; I find no offense to what they portrayed, as they do make fun of EVERYONE. And a few crazies (revolutionmuslim.com) don't speak for every Muslim.

April 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. NotthatLance

All I know is that the God I worship can take care of any issues that He decides need taking care of on His own. Either in the here and now or on the day of judgment. Whenever and however He sees fit in His own time and His own way, period.

Any god that relies on mere mortals to mete out eternal punishment on his behalf is a god of very questionable "almightyness". No disrespect intended, just my opinion.

April 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Siri

To Z: Making fun of so-called prophets, is not a serious crime. It only becomes a crime is radicals (such as muslims in this case) act upon it just because their "feelings got a little hurt". Then the serious crime is on them, not South Park.

April 19, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Glenn

People make fun and mock Jesus all the time! Who cares? But if you mock Mohammed, it is an all out cry for vengence! this is crazy! I find it REALLY odd that a NEW YORK based blog is threatening a U S citizen. I hope the FBI is all over this. Freedom of speech is just that! If you don't like it, don't USE it

April 19, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mathew

This made me laugh, sorry. For sake. It's only a cartoon!

April 19, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Logan Dunn

If accepting and living with Western culture and it's customs is so difficult and so offensive, might I suggest a one-way ticket to the the third- world country of your choice? The result will be a happier population, at least in the West.

April 19, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CJ

Seriously, freaking out over a bear suit? Did you not see see Buddha doing coke? Hilarious.

April 19, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Siri

To Saad: Freedom of speech does has its limits. Its called the FCC and last I checked its a violation of our first amendment, you know, the freedom of speech. EVERYTHING and ANYTHING is offensive to at least someone. We can't constantly worry about, "oh whose feelings will this hurt" because someones feelings will get hurt and they need to ignore it and move on, not make threats to harm someone because of it.

April 19, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. P-Stryk

Obviously nobody watched this episode. The whole point of it was that South Park makes fun of every culture but for some reason Muslims are off limits. In this very same episode they showed Buddha doing lines of coke off the table! But they can't even show Mohammed's image?

April 19, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Anthony

A fictional show making fun of a fictional prophet of a fictional god... I don't see the problem.

April 19, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |