April 19th, 2010

Security Brief: Radical Islamic Web site takes on 'South Park'

"South Park" showed the Prophet Mohammed disguised in a bear suit.

The radical Islamic Web site Revolutionmuslim.com is going after the creators of the TV cartoon series "South Park" after an episode last week included an image of the Prophet Mohammed in disguise.

Revolutionmuslim.com, based in New York, was the subject of a CNN investigation last year for its radical rhetoric supporting “jihad” against the West and praising al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. Its organizers insist they act within the law and seek to protect Islam.

On Sunday, Revolutionmuslim.com posted an entry that included a warning to South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone that they risk violent retribution after the 200th episode last week included a satirical discussion about whether an image of the prophet could be shown. In the end, he is portrayed disguised in a bear suit.

The posting on Revolutionmuslim.com says: “We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show. This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them.”

Theo van Gogh was a Dutch filmmaker who was murdered by an Islamic extremist in 2004 after making a short documentary on violence against women in some Islamic societies. The posting on Revolutionmuslim.com features a graphic photograph of Van Gogh with his throat cut and a dagger in his chest.

The entry on Revolutionmuslim.com goes on to advise readers:

“You can contact them [the makers of South Park], or pay Comedy Central or their own company a visit at these addresses …” before listing Comedy Central’s New York address, and the Los Angeles, California, address of Parker and Sloane’s production company.

Contacted by CNN, the author of the post, Abu Talhah al Amrikee, said that providing the addresses was not intended as a threat to the creators of South Park but to give people the opportunity to protest.

Over still photographs of Parker, Stone, van Gogh and others, the Web site runs audio of a sermon by the radical U.S.-born preacher Anwar al-Awlaki, who is now in hiding in Yemen. The sermon, recorded some time ago, talks about assassinating those who have “defamed” the Prophet Mohammed citing one religious authority as saying “Harming Allah and his messenger is a reason to encourage Muslims to kill whoever does that.” U.S. officials say al-Awlaki is on a list of al Qaeda leaders targeted for capture or assassination.

The clip ends with a warning on a graphic directed at Parker and Stone, saying “The Dust Will Never Settle Down.”

Al Amrikee said the purpose of including the al-Awlaki sermon in his posting was to remind Muslims that insulting the prophet is a severe offense for which the punishment in Islam is death. He said RevolutionMuslim may hold protests about the show.

Calls to Comedy Central were not returned.

Post by:
Filed under: Religion • Security Brief
  1. guestHawk

weell.... i really don't care for south park...maybe i'm just too old and it is too juvenile...but these veiled threats have to go. turn the cia loose on them!

April 20, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. SGa

To all the proponents of free speech. How many of you would support disparaging comments on jews or the hlocaust on comedy central?

Posted by: commoner500

Um.. Again just watch South Park, seriously they rip everything. Family Guy has done some interesting episodes and jokes in reference to both. I agree with everyone else, if you do not like it, don't watch it. I support free speech, but I do not always love South Park, so when a show goes beyond me, I change the channel. I do the same thing with news shows and sitcoms. All I can say is nice job guys, you have done exactly what Scientology did, upped South Park's ratings, again!

April 20, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dan

Who are they to dictate to any given person what is or isn't offensive? This is why I hate religions. Religion has a tendency to tell you how to act, where to act, and when to act. God has given me free will to choose on my own path. God has put into me morals to allow me to know and to feel what is right and wrong. And no religion can or will take that away from me. To hold one person to such a high pedestal because of a religious belief is wrong.

April 20, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. Thomas

hmmm...i guess they missed the season 5 episode with the super best friends? Muhamamamed is shown without a bear suit, helping to create a gigantic john wilkes booth to murder a gigantic abraham lincoln. God i love south park, I'm sure they are loving this.

April 20, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Guest 242

The real question here is why do the western media continue to taunt Muslims by showing images,pictures or likeliness to The Prophet Muhammad (Peace be Upon Him) in movies,magazines and on tv when they well know that's it's a sensitive issue for Muslims?Was it really necessay to depict Him in this tv series and did they consider other possible alternatives to the story?Just leave the Muslims alone,respect their faith and keep them resposible if they don't do the same to other faiths.

April 20, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Keith

CNN reposted the image. Does that mean that CNN is going to have to worry now?
    Keep in mind they showed Mohammed in an earlier episode before the now famous cartoons caused mass riots.

April 20, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Raymond

I'm Muslim and I have no problem with South Park. I think its funny. They make fun of EVERYONE. Its the stupid Muslims who give the rest of us a bad name. I say carry on Matt and Trey I'm behind you 100%.

April 20, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jonathan

Oh, wow. I didn't know "some guy with a website" translates into "spokesman for al qaeda"

April 20, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jason

If they think the violent reaction from Muslims will be bad, just wait until the 18 to 28 demographic in the US gets their Southpark fix taken away. Do these terrorists even realize that they are talking about messing with one of the favorite shows of one of the most TV addicted yet well armed nations on the planet?

April 20, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Naz Chy

I got a feeling that the people at revolutionmuslim.com are big fans of south park! (or else why would they watch it?) And ofcourse they failed to notice that Jesus has his own show on south park. No religion promotes violence and we should not judge a whole religion on the actions of some ignorant fools.In my point of view, Islam is going through some tough times due to radicals, right alongside Christianity with few sick priests who harm children!! I guess the world will never be perfect, but the least we can do is preach peace and harmony.

April 20, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dan

South Park does not represent the worship of Jesus Christ or any religon. I have no problem with any religon nor do I like getting into any debates, you know WHY, because its up to the people to decide. And not agreeing with someone is not the means for death threats or death. Peace is not what your religon is showing in the media these days, and your actions are not helping your cause. Its a cartoon show. Represent your people and your God with great example, and in this land our boundries are made by our laws, so please do not try to implement laws of your own. If you havent noticed our country has allowed everyone to flurish because we are given the right, and the freedoms too. Its time to represent yourself in a different light, one with poise, peace, and resileance. I wish you the best in finding new tactics in making your points because trying to stike fear in the US is not good for your movements or for what you are trying to accomplish. All is well in the land of the FREE.

April 20, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. ed

Why not just go the the office of the Muslim organization and peacefully protest ? Show the supposed moral superiors how we infidels handle THEIR insults to our Constitution and the rights we enjoy ?

April 20, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ahmed

I'm a moderate Muslim. South Park is on comedy central and is a show which makes fun of everything. I find the show funny. I'm not offended. I'm behind the creators. As for the people who are making veiled threats against the creators and want to incite violence . . . don't call yourself Muslims. Grow up or get lost. Be ashamed of yourselves for misrepresenting Islam. It's people you that make it difficult for people to understand people like us. Seriously, get a life . . . and a sense of humor.

April 20, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Carlo

WOW..... this was a hilarious episode of south park and they intended it for stupid people to act upon it. Well you fell into the trap. You don't see Christians complaining about Jesus being made fun of on the show. People! We have bigger things to worry about like a nuclear crisis or new energy solutions. This is just one more fact to show religion only separates the masses and is irrelevant. Oh yeah and about the Mayans saying the gods would end the world in 2012; well if they could predict that, how come they couldn't see the Spanish coming to kill them all in their life time.... think about it. We all need answers to what we don't know.

April 20, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. Matt

It is funny they take this one episode so extremely when it affects only them. There are other episodes of like Jesus getting his throat slit and multiple comments making fun of the holocaust and you don't see them complaining then. I guess that is what you get when you have a religion that was founded on manipulation and war from it's beginning.

April 20, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |