April 20th, 2010

Spring storm season off to slowest-ever start

The 2010 spring severe weather season is off to its slowest start on record, according to forecasters from the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma.

The agency, which is responsible for issuing forecasts for severe storms, releases daily forecasts that predict the level of severe weather and assigns it to three categories - slight, moderate and high.

Typically, severe storms occur most often in the United States during the months of April, May and June.

"It looks like we've gone the deepest into a year without our first MDT (moderate) or high risk," said Rich Thompson, a forecaster at the prediction center. "The previous latest date was March 21, 2005, so we're almost a month past that date."

The 2005 severe weather season got off to a slow start as well, but turned out to be a record-breaking year for severe weather and tornadoes.

Most of the tornadoes that occurred that year were associated with tropical storms and hurricanes that made landfall. The 2005 hurricane season was the worst on record, with 28 named storms, 15 hurricanes and seven major hurricanes –Category 3 or higher on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • Weather
  1. mike

i, for one, enjoy severe thunderstorms. it's not negative news at all, PrjMgr. in fact, i found myself wondering where the storms have gone and this article did well to put into official words something that i was already thinking.

April 20, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. El Nino

Blame it on me!

April 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ian

If you live in the northeast and the mid-atlantic, you already know they came early this year.

April 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bob

There is no normal in a dynamic environment.

April 20, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hockeynut

From this article heading it sounded like you would get an explanation as to why there have been less sevre storms. This article just says we are on a record low for sever storms. That is no surprise but I expected more from the article.

April 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RRMON

An interesting relationship with the low moisture/drought regions and tropical storms replenishment, especially during the 2005 season (Katrina). Keeping a watch this season on the moisture level in the upper mid-west through the Mississippi and Ohio valley will dictate the impact of any tropical storm replenishment.

April 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Texan

Its all in Texas. It was raining all last week and there was massive flooding in my city.

April 20, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. L

I live in Florida for now, and last year I noticed when a lot of storms came off Africa they immediately shot up northward instead of their usual track west towards the Caribbean or Florida. I thought something strange was going on then and I think it may be going on now.
    Has the government been messing with the weather on things like cloud seeding etc.?
    I thought I read somewhere last year that yes some one was doing that and that could be the cause of less storms this year.

April 20, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dofhacc

Perhaps I am wrong, but wouldn't the winter storms you mention Mr. Nor'easter be "winter" storms?
    I just thought that this article was about spring storms, is my point.

April 20, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dan G.

It must be global warming.

April 20, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Normanclature

The Spring Storms are at the unemployment office with everyone else. A few were laid off because of the recession.

April 20, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. South Texas

It's been raining for a week and a half in South Texas. Very unusual. Nature will balance out the equation.

April 20, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mill

Live in florida and the weather has been really strange. Still cool at night which i cant get used to. also the rain should be falling from noon to 3 daily. thats not happening. i have a bad feeling bout this. OMN (Old Mother Nature) typically doesnt play nice and when she's being unseasonably nice that just means she is going to get down right nasty at a later date. this hurricaine season will be a bear.

April 20, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dwayne

I am sure that some politician will now say that the lack of storms are due to global warming. It doesn't matter what is happening, it's global warming. In fact, I bet the volcano is due to global warming. Hey, maybe my "no raise in pay for the past 3 years" iis due to global warming.

April 20, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Connor in Texas

I guess storms that cause massive flooding and Federal disaster areas in the Northeast don't count as "severe."

They don't. A severe storm is one with 58 mph winds, 1" hail (.75" in some areas), or tornadoes. Of course flooding can be, and is, disastrous, but it doesn't qualify for the type of severe storms you usually see in the Spring in the plains.

April 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |