April 20th, 2010

Latino lawmakers urge veto of Arizona immigration law

Latino members of Congress Tuesday called on Arizona's governor to kill a state bill that would require police to determine whether a person is in the United States legally, arguing that it unconstitutionally authorizes discrimination.

"When you institutionalize a law like this one, you are targeting and discriminating at a wholesale level against a group of people," Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Arizona, told reporters.

Grijalva and Rep. Luis Gutierrez, the chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus's Task Force on Immigration Reform, said Republican Gov. Jan Brewer should veto the measure, which the state Senate approved Monday.

The bill would require immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and requires police to question people if there's reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally. It also targets those who hire illegal immigrant day laborers or knowingly transports them.

Grijalva, whose district runs from the Mexican border to the outskirts of Phoenix, said the legislation "is not just mean-spirited, it is directed at a specific population." And Gutierrez, D-Illinois, said the measure infringes on the federal government's authority over immigration laws.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • U.S.
  1. KC

Having illegal aliens in our country does nothing but hurt America's tax payers. I don't feel like paying higher taxes because hospitals are taking in too many "charity cases" (people without insurance, which a good size percentage are illegal aliens). They want to work? They want to make money? Contribute to the economy and pay taxes, please. If a policeman has suspician that you are an illegal alien, regardless of race, he should be able to ask for proper identification. It's not race discrimination just because it's Arizona. It's protecting the rightful citizens of the United States of America.

April 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. david

i agree with this bill as i live in wisconsin and i am tired of the illegals here but being a welfare state these people get more goverment services then my girlfriend who can not get insurance because we make to much money but they get all the health care they need and now my son has to learn a spanish in school and we are not anywhere near a spanish speaking country

April 20, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ken

I don't like the idea of paying taxes and knowing that the taxes go to assist illegal aliens. I think they should line up to enter our country just as our fathers did before my time. They should pay their fare share for public services such as health care, education, border protection, etc.

I also like the fact that I can hire kitchen full of illegal immigrants to reduce my overhead and increase profits. The profits go towards my child's private schooling. I can get away with not paying for health care for the illegal work force because they don't count as an employee. I also don't pay any taxes on them.

I am a hypocrite.

April 20, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joe Korinek

Let us consider the flip side of this proposed law. Let us assume for a moment that the Targeted group is White Anglo Saxon. Then apply the law.

Now it is the whites that are tegeted for ID checks for "no apparent reason" then the color of your skin.

How would you feel about the law now? Different? Think about that...

April 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jack

We have to stop ignoring illegal immigrants, they are NOT protected by our constitution and are not in compliance with the LAW. If we really believe there should be a law against immigration that prevents them from being here legally, then we should finally start taking this seriously. Why o Why have we let it come this far? We cannot afford it!

April 20, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Shadow

Once again the race card is played. Leave it to a peticular race to yell foul when it's obvious they are losing the race of changing laws to be in their favor. No matter what race you are, we have laws here in the USA, abide by them or leave. Even more disturbing is the "Latino" lawmakers standing on the side of lawbreakers, they need to be brought up on charges of treason. We all have to have valid ID, get used to it, something that might seem new to many in our country but that's what happens when you break the law to get here then ignore the laws while your here.

April 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bob mclaughlin

What it does is require law enforcement to profile people. Do you think they are going to ask a blond, blue eyed person to show proof of being in this country legally. It is racist, and very mean spirited, and I have vowed not to visit the beautiful state of Arizona until they stop this nonsense. This is not the the United States of America that I grew up in and I am very concerned about the direction this country is taking at this time.
    Peace

April 20, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. FoolishLibs

I live in Arizona and I find most of the people are clueless when it comes to the real problems Illegals have caused this country. Hope Americans like being a third-world country because that is what is exactly what is happening. Thanks to all the crooks in Congress and the Federal Government who over the years have turned a blind eye to the problem. Do you ever wonder why the morons like Grijalva and Rep. Luis Gutierrez want to keep the Federal Government in charge? It is because the Federal Government has and continues to show that it is unable to be effective in enforcing basic immigration laws.

April 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Laura

Reading some of these comments just makes me think how ignorant some people are. This is unconstitutional and I hope this does not pass. I don't agree that anybody should be targeted just to see if a person is a legal U.S citizen or not. I oppose illegal immigration but i feel this is no way to fix it. In fact, illegal immigration is something that even undocumented immigrants don't agree on. I'm sure they wouldn't want to risk their lives to come to this country but they have to since they have no other choice. However for somebody to say that since they are not legal citizens the constitution does not protect them... wow, that is just brutal. So basically one can go ahead and not allow that person any rights that a human should have because he is not a citizen of this country. That is just ridiculous.

What gets me the most is that people assume that any "illegal immigrant" is Mexican and that if we don't stop illegal immigration, then it is a threat to or national security. It hurts to be discriminated for being Mexican and this law is going to do just that. What happened to our civil rights? Racial profiling goes against that.

April 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. James

if the people they are targeting are guilty of violating international laws, then I don't see a problem with it. I do, however, question the reputation of any "lawmaker" that is fighting to allow criminals the chance to stay here without being prosecuted. Clearly, they are making comments on a personal level, and not in the best interest of the United States of America. A crime is a crime, and a criminal is a criminal. "They aren't hurting anyone" except for every single tax paying citizen of this country. Where do you think identity theft came from?!

April 20, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rick from Boston

Finally, someone is saying enough is enough. All border states should enact this law immediately. of course if the police think someone is here illegally, they have every right to ask for papers. I have friends who are resident aliens and they never leave home without their proper documentation. Now lets get everyone else to follow Arizona. Its John McCain country and I would not have expect anything less. Am I the only one that misses President Bush? Keep up the great work Arizona. Now if we can Mass lawmakers to get off their seats and listen to their Arizona colleagues, we may be able to save all of us.

April 20, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Laura

I think its something much bigger than a personal level. It's a racial level. I'm sure they are not going to be targetting Anglo-Americans. They are going to be targeting the brown people, people that look like they just crossed the border.

April 20, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. brenda

Hooray for Arizona. The only state with a backbone. Makes me want to move there. I for one want all these people here who are here illegally sent back where they came from, they are destroying this country! Besides, what about this thing called "Homeland security"? I personally like to know whose comming into my home, as I'm sure most people do. I'm tired of them taking our jobs, forcing their language on us, and letting us pay their bills for them. Please stick to your convictions Arizona. I salute you.

April 20, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Craig

HELLO! Since Arizona is on the border of Mexico I think it safe to assume that the lionshare of illegal immigrants would be mexicans. Just saying. I have not problem @ all with Mexicans or any other immigrant from coming to our country LEGALLY. If they wish to assimilate and become Americans then they should do it the proper way. BTW, since when have you heard about illegals being a great help to law enforcement in the first place. PUHleaze.Its common sense people. Cheers to Arizona for using it.

April 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. john

I was told by law that I needed to carry some form of id that way they knew who was,Ever since then I always carried one so what the big deal.

April 20, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |