April 20th, 2010

Michael Douglas' son Cameron sentenced to five years

Actor Michael Douglas is photographed as he walks into court for his son's sentencing Tuesday.

A judge sentenced actor Michael Douglas' son Cameron to five years in prison Tuesday for selling cocaine and methamphetamine.

Cameron Douglas, 31, was arrested July 2009 at the Manhattan Club in New York City and later pleaded guilty to drug charges.

“I apologize to the court for my decisions and actions that put me in front of you today," Cameron Douglas told the judge.

He added that he wants to take the right path, "the true right path."

Cameron Douglas, wearing a suit and his voice trembling when he spoke, looked at his parents Michael Douglas and Diandra Douglas throughout his time in court.

"I ask for an opportunity to be a role model to my younger brothers and sisters," Cameron Douglas said.

His father, actor Michael Douglas, cried as his son addressed the court.

- CNN's Julian Cummings contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Justice • Showbiz
  1. bro

It is easy to avoid this,,Just say no to drugs,,is that difficult to understand??

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jack W

May you truely find strength in sobriety, Cameron. Be thankful your family is behind you. Together you will make it through this. My family is also suffering from the effects of our oldest son's cocaine addiction. We are not where you are yet. But we take inspiration in the support the Douglas family shows. This can destroy you or make you stronger. The choice isn't easy, but it is your choice.

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. double standard

so let me get this straight, plaxico burress gets one year in prison for discharging a firearm inside of a night club and lil wayne gets one year for drug and firearm charges but someone that isnt as famous gets 5 years for a similar crime.... where is the justice system now?

April 20, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. marjory

If it were anyone else, they would have thrown the book at him. Five years for ruining countless people's lives... again another example of people's fame and fortune being able to buy justice.

April 20, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Craig

This is in Federal Court, which means he will have to serve at least 85% of his sentence, which is 51 months, before he can be released. Serves his right. I have no pity for him.

April 20, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris

The family showed a lot of class in how they handled this. I can't blame them for trying to use their celebrity but they never came across as acting entitled.

April 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. matt

A bad situation for all parties involved. All I know is that I have a friend doing a lot more time in prison for the same crime. He was caught with a lot less and got 3 times the amount of jail time. Just saying?

April 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. jsutton

That's very sad. I'm so sorry for all of them.

April 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Candace

WOW ~ i feel sorry for him but he has to get help some kind of way. Evidently everything that was offered to him in the past had no affect on him b/c here he is in more trouble than before. I hope this will be his wake up call.

April 20, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. HH

5 years of a minimun mandatory 10 years for this particular crime. The law is not blind like they say. It looks at the color of your skin, your pockets and your name. Any regular person will get the minimum.

April 20, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Linda

We all think money is the answer to happiness and if we have it life would be so much better. How sad it is for this family to have to watch your child go to prison and all the money in the world couldn't help him. Hopefully, he will come out of prison and realize that he needs to take a better path. My heart goes out to all involved.

April 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. claudette

Yes it is sad for the family,but the son must pay for his crime he is old enough to know what he was doing,if he was taking it fine,dont agree with that,BUT TOBE SELLING IT well that is really bad,I do hope while in prison he can change,but then sometimes it is even worse there

April 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lwilrey

I think the judge ruled fairly. Hopefully, Cameron will be clean and sober from now on.
    I know someone whose son was in court ordered rehab for driving under the influence. I guess it is a more serious charge if you are selling drugs. My heart goes out to the family.

April 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. George

Why is there such sympathy for this guy? Is it because his father is famous? He had the opportunity to live a privileged life and instead he decided to become a cocaine and meth dealer. If that isn't the definition of a loser I don't know what is. Thankfully he's young enough to turn his life around when he gets out, although, I don't know why we should assume he'll become an upright citizen anytime soon.

April 20, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mike scourby

federal court that's why he go 5 years determinant sentence ny state courts sentencing is indeterminate sentencing, so there is a sentence like 5-15, 1-3, all dependent on the sentencing schedule. NY Judges really do not have much leeway, There is a minimum minimum and a max max but all tied to schedule. he will get help in fed prison, non violent crime, it wont be hard time.

April 20, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |