April 21st, 2010

Workers missing after oil rig explosion in Gulf of Mexico

[Updated at 7:47 a.m.] The company that owns the rig that exploded, Transocean Ltd., said most crew members are safe.

"A substantial majority of the 126 member crew is safe but some crew members remain unaccounted for at this time," the company said in a statement.

The company describes itself as the "world's largest offshore drilling contractor and the leading provider of drilling management services worldwide" and says it has 140 offshore drilling units.

[Posted at 7:04 a.m.] At least 11 people were missing and seven were critically injured after an explosion on an offshore oil rig 52 miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana, in the Gulf of Mexico, the U.S. Coast Guard said Wednesday.

At the time of the explosion Tuesday night, there were 126 people on board the rig, said Coast Guard Senior Chief Petty Officer Mike O'Berry.

Four helicopters and four Coast Guard vessels were in the area searching for the missing people, he said.

Post by:
Filed under: Louisiana • U.S.
  1. Siara Delyn

How horrible. RIP to these hard working decent folks and prayers for their families.

Does this mean that there's a giant oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

April 21, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bert carter

So sorry to hear of this disaster. Is it an Exxon Mobil platform?

April 21, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rusty

Now this is quality journalism,,,,hello ,,,how about a few details,,,,,whose rig was it ?

April 21, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dee

My husband works on a rig so I am extremely worried. I am praying...

April 21, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  5. Victor Jaja

What could result to such an explosion?

April 21, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. unlikelyoilfieldwife

As an oilfield wife myself, I cannot imagine what the wives and family of those missing are going through right now. My thoughts and prayers are with them, hoping for a swift rescue.

April 21, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. laura

May God bring peace and comfort to the people involved and their families at this time.It seems that Oil rigs can be just as dangerous as coal mines. We really should make more of a push for electric cars and solar/wind energy, just to protect our fellow citizens from danger.Or at least to lessen it.

April 21, 2010 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tom Bishop

I am currently at MC 711, near the rig that exploded and the report is that there are at least nine feared dead. The fire and smoke could be seen from miles late last night.

April 21, 2010 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Georgeous

Oil rig explosion? Pretty terrible. A nightmare that reminds me of the possibility of oil pipelines, tanks and wells being attacked by these freaky terrorists.

April 21, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. flintstoner

Well. this will give the Oil companies a great excuse to "jack up" the gas prices for a week or two

April 21, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. brandi

My brother was headed out last night to return to this rig when he got the call that it had exploaded. I am so thankful he was not on it. I pray for those who are missing and wounded and also for their families.

April 21, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. David

My Prayers go out to the crew and their families, I hope everyone is found and in good health

April 21, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  13. Seth Platt

But I suppose we should believe the Oil Industry when they say that it is SAFE to Drill off shore.

April 21, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. RobMac

Drill, Baby, Drill!
    Inappropriate? You betcha. But maybe you should tell that to the relatives of dead soldiers who are fighting our war for oil in Iraq. Until we end our dependence on oil, tragedies like this will continue.

April 21, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. Melonie Cox

Thank God my son is ok!!!! My son, Christopher Duhon age 23, works for Transocean and had left last night to pull his 21 day shift. While on his way, he received a call saying, "turn around' and go back home. The rig is "gone!" He wasn't sure what that meant until the person calling announced "theres been an explosion!" So, thankfully my son is home and ok. However, we are praying for the men and their families that were injured, or, not found yet. God be with them. Thank you. Respectively, Melonie Cox 318-765-2940.

April 21, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |