April 21st, 2010

Workers missing after oil rig explosion in Gulf of Mexico

[Updated at 7:47 a.m.] The company that owns the rig that exploded, Transocean Ltd., said most crew members are safe.

"A substantial majority of the 126 member crew is safe but some crew members remain unaccounted for at this time," the company said in a statement.

The company describes itself as the "world's largest offshore drilling contractor and the leading provider of drilling management services worldwide" and says it has 140 offshore drilling units.

[Posted at 7:04 a.m.] At least 11 people were missing and seven were critically injured after an explosion on an offshore oil rig 52 miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana, in the Gulf of Mexico, the U.S. Coast Guard said Wednesday.

At the time of the explosion Tuesday night, there were 126 people on board the rig, said Coast Guard Senior Chief Petty Officer Mike O'Berry.

Four helicopters and four Coast Guard vessels were in the area searching for the missing people, he said.

Post by:
Filed under: Louisiana • U.S.
  1. Kerri

On another note I pray for all the missing and injured as well as their families.

April 21, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jeanne

My husband works for Chevron and works often on various rigs. It is very dangerous and safety is top priority. My prayers are with the missing and injured and their families.

April 21, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joe Canales

My thoughts go out to the family and friends of those missing and recovered. It's a horrible thing to have happened, and the most important thing at the moment is to pray and support those in need. It's an open forum, but remember, they were working to support our way of life.

April 21, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jason B.

Even if every piece of US territory that can be drilled is drilled, it still won't end our dependence on foreign oil. It may reduce it some, but it won't end it. And doesn't all oil go on the open market, regardless of where it's drilled? So even if we drill it here, there's no guarantee it will stay in our country.

We have thousands of square miles of desert we can use for either solar panels or wind farms. We just have to decide to do it.

April 21, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jennifer

God Bless all the men and women on that rig. May he help to bring them home safely and heal their wounds. May all the family and friends of the oil rig workers find peace in their heart that no matter where they are nor what condition they be found in, the Lord our Christ is with them. May our Lord be with those that consider themselves enemies of the oil workers and companies and help them to have compassion for their fellow man in thier time of need. Amen.

My husband and I both work in the oil and gas industry. What many do not understand, unless you have had experience in this industry, is that safety is the number one concern of all major oil and gas companies and their employees. They understand that product cannot be found, retrieved, processed, and delivered for your pickup truck in an unsafe manor. If the beforementioned process fails, the public needs will not be met and the providing company, their employees, and their contractors will net negative profit, thereby going out of business and causing unemployment to rise higher than what it already is. I say all of this to make the following statement: Please do not be quick to judge the men and women working on the oil rigs and platforms, nor the companies sponsoring/owning them. There are safety measures taken and policies and procedures strictly followed to the fullest extent humans are capable of. OSHA is there for a reason and will do all parties justice with their investigation.

At this point in time, the men and women involved in this accident simply need human compassion rather than aggressive, hateful words and actions!

April 21, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Concerned

Ok I have only skimmed through this post and I see there are poeple concerned for the workers and their families, but some of the post Ive read are very agravating. My husband works in the oil feild on land not offshore, but it is very dangerous either place and for 2 weeks straight all I do is worry. There are men out there missing with families at home worried sick and all some of you can post about is how we need to figure out how to get rid of oil rigs and pollution and stop puttin up drilling rigs that is ridiculous and a very stupid comment for a lot of american the oilfeild is their only option for a job and is the way they support their families and also support americas habits of consumption so get over it and be like a normal person and be concerned for the families and say a prayer for them!!!!!

April 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kelly

My husband also works for Transocean and they are very safety conscience out there and theses guys are (safety freaks) but like any job there are risks. Are you gonna stop driving your car because you can get killed doing that to.... My heart goes out to all the families that don't know what has happened to your family member and to the ones that are hurt. I will keep everyone in my prayers.

April 21, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Vasquez

re: post #1: Rick from Tampa:
    How about *YOU* start by turning off your computer? In fact, just get rid of it.

April 21, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jenn

my thoughts and prayers are with all of you who are going through this crisis...stay strong...

April 21, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Darla Seneca

I am trying to find out if a friend of mine was on that rig, have they released any names yet?

April 21, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • friend

Yeah, he was on the rig.

March 4, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. jonrighteous

We need to find out what caused this. Liberals and Dems will try to use this tragedy to limit drilling because they will use if not cause a crisis in order to promote their anti-American agendas. We need to drill more in America and depend less on the terrorists overseas so we can stay strong and free!

April 21, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Barbara

I am praying for the missing men as well as their loved ones. I have a friend in Virginia who works in the gulf drilling oil. I have not heard that he was there and pray that all those men are safe.

April 21, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. corey grice

I got family on that rig and i can't find out anything. All Ive heard he was one of the eleven that was missing . I watched one of the news channels an d it seemed like they were more interested in stopping the oil than finding the ones that were missing. They had about 15 boats spraying water knowing its not doing any good why why not use the boats to go look for the eleven that they haven't found yet. I think they ain't worried about saving what is left of the rig
    and saving the oil than they are ofn finding the missing workers.

April 22, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  14. Carolyn

I have a nephew that works for this company and my heart and prayers go out to all of the families that have loveed ones on that rig. May god bless and keep all of the men safe and my prayers go out to the families.God bless you all Carolyn

April 22, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. worried family

My stepson was on that rig. Thanks for all who are praying for the workers and families. Those who are leaving nasty comments are entitiled to their opinions. Please remember these are human lives. Some of us are still waiting to hear and you cannot imagine our pain. The men who are not injured or worse have seen their friends and coworkers maimed and possibly killed. Please try to at least have small amount of compassion for the workers and families before posting a nasty comment.

April 22, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |