April 21st, 2010

Workers missing after oil rig explosion in Gulf of Mexico

[Updated at 7:47 a.m.] The company that owns the rig that exploded, Transocean Ltd., said most crew members are safe.

"A substantial majority of the 126 member crew is safe but some crew members remain unaccounted for at this time," the company said in a statement.

The company describes itself as the "world's largest offshore drilling contractor and the leading provider of drilling management services worldwide" and says it has 140 offshore drilling units.

[Posted at 7:04 a.m.] At least 11 people were missing and seven were critically injured after an explosion on an offshore oil rig 52 miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana, in the Gulf of Mexico, the U.S. Coast Guard said Wednesday.

At the time of the explosion Tuesday night, there were 126 people on board the rig, said Coast Guard Senior Chief Petty Officer Mike O'Berry.

Four helicopters and four Coast Guard vessels were in the area searching for the missing people, he said.

Post by:
Filed under: Louisiana • U.S.
  1. Ricky Stewart

Currently on board Maersk Resolute, Jack Up, North Sea Denmark, got up this morning and saw the terrible events on Sky News, the first thing that came to mind was not another Piper Alpha..I still Clearly remeber that one...I just hope to god they find the guys that are missing, and the injured men make a speedy recovery...My thoughts go out to the Families....

April 22, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. B_Theriot

I was on one of the vessels that received a distress call last night, we were 25 miles away and we searched all night for anyone that may be in the water, we didnt see anyone. I dont know if thats a good or bad thing.

I have been working in the oil field for about 5 years now and this is the first accident that I hear of that has lead to human casulties. There are tens of thousands of people working on thousands of rigs and platforms at any given day, I'd say the oil industry has a good safety record.

April 22, 2010 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Stu

we will live on, with, or without electricity. learn how to farm.

April 22, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. Concerned

I have a friend that works on that rig and I was going to come to work there too. I sure hope he is alright. Is there anything we can do to help. I kind of feel a little helpless here safe at home with only thought and prayers. Please GOD watch over the missing and injured.

April 22, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin

I work on oil rigs in the gulf and first I hope that the missing people are found, and like other people have said here this is an extremely rare occurrence and won't stop me from going back offshore in a couple weeks, But this will not increase gas prices. The oil that this one well would have produced is a drop in a bucket compared to the total in the world Shame on everyone here who is worried about gas prices when people are still missing out there.

April 22, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  6. janice

i hope and pray that ever one missing will be found.may god bless each of this famlys and give them strenght to handle what ever is to be and each and ever one of us should be greatful to the men and womenwould do this kind of jobs to make life more easier on us all. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.

April 22, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Melissa

I am trying to find out if a friend of ours was on that rig.And to let akll of you know we are praying for you

April 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BornOnDaBayou

This is such a terrible tragedy. My grandfather was on the Gulf Platform that exploded in 1968. He and the people on the rig that day recount the horror 40 years later like it just happened a minute ago. My prayers go out to the missing workers and their families and to everyone connected to the oilfield industry in any way shape or form.

To all the people who are just concerned about your Gas prices, STOP DRIVING. Do us a favor and set the "Example" and save fuel so that our families can live safer longer lives. Sounds rather trite and stupid, but that' the point, that's how your comments sound in the wake of such a disaster and loss of lives.

April 23, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Zafar

Who was the client Exxon or total.....rip for those who died and prayers for the faimilies...m also a oil feild engineer and i knw hw horrible is ths in the cntre of ocean....i have wrkd wth trans ocean in middle east...God safe all....

April 23, 2010 at 5:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. john f

There is no excuse for this tradgedy. When the final safety reports come in- It will boil down to a underbalanced mud weight to contain the high pressures encountered ,faulty safety equipment monitoring and some dumb-ass not paying proper attention to signs of too much gas return on mud circulation. All very much avoidable.When will thes companies STOP cutting corners on costs and putting the costs of human lives over the price of a barrel of oil- then things might change. It all unfortunately boils down to Insurance to cover there loses now-and they just expect to lose (workers) every now and then.Pathetic.
    God bless those families that have encountered losses in this tradgedy and other other accidents in the oil field. After 27 years working in the oil field and oil rigs I realize that we are taken for granted Bigtime on safety and costs. My best friend from Texas A&M died in a similiar tradgedy that they tried to sweep under the carpet with lies and money. His wife and kids were fortunate to hire a very powerful Attorney in Dallas-James Holmes that did not cowl down to the Big Oil Companies powerful position in Texas courts. May the good Lord bless these families in some way thru this tradgedy and may something drastically change in the way the Oil companies drill these potentially life changing wells

April 23, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. Shawn

My husband is a crane operator and has been working off shore for 12 years .. He knows when he goes out, the potential danger in the job that he does. But we can wake up today today and get in our car and get killed in an ACCIDENT .. You have to give it to the higher power..God makes the choice on when we meet our maker.. It is already written.I shared my tears yesterday for the familys of the missing...My heart goes out to them...Being an offshore wife . I also understand the danger of his job.. but we cant stop living our lives because ian accident MIGHT happen... Thats like telling a policeman, firefighter to qit there job its to dangerous...Then what we do...My prayers go out to the familys of the lost.. But believe in that time that they went HOME the good LORD was there to take their hands .. They werent on their journey home alone.. I hope you take some peace out of that...

April 23, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. offshore worker

Everyone that posted, worried about the safety of the platforms and whether or not some were going to be built off the east or west coast- no one has mentioned that this particular rig was made in malaysia and WAS NOT up to the full standards of the rigs we produce here. If there is one made here, by American companies, it will be set to a much higher standard. Also, this was not a NEW rig. It had plenty of years of work on it already and many miles of travel. That would also account for some of the lacking safety standards normally required. And... I seriously doubt that ONE rig loss is going to drive up prices on gas or oil. They look for excuses everywhere to do so, but this is just not viable. The reason that prices go up is demand based on timeframes for high travel.

April 23, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. lopez,c

I work on a oil rig.Not for the same company but we are like a family none the less.I pray for the missing,and the love ones.LOVE & RESPECT FOR MY FELLOW BROTHERS!!!!

April 23, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RBGTX

To those with family and loved ones involved, healing thoughts and prayers go out to each of you. My husband is in the Oil & Gas Industry, I'm all to familar with the dangers involved. Blessings from Texas
    R. Sinclair

April 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mark

I work in the gulf also, and my heart goes out to the families who lost their loved ones.

To the people concerned about offshore drilling and its safety:

1. This is an extremely isolated incident. There have been thousands upon thousands of wells drilled in the gulf, with no accidents/major spills or impacting of property values.

2. You don't shut down an industry because of an incident. When a plane crashes you don't say "I think that we need to do away with planes". Statistically this is a safe industry.

3. To those of you concerned about property values. Grow up. At 6 foot of height, the eye can see 3 miles at sea. At the 20 miles the oil and gas industry is wanting to drill, you would need to be 1000 feet high to see the rig. At which point it would be a tiny spec on the horizon. How many of you live in 1000 foot high rises? And those who do....would a barely visible spec on the horizon really bother you that much? Greed.

4. We have enough oil RIGHT HERE IN AMERICA