April 22nd, 2010

Coast Guard: Oil rig that exploded has sunk

[Updated at 7:23 p.m.] Read the full CNN.com story

[Updated at 1:43 p.m.] An oil rig that has been burning in the Gulf of Mexico has sunk, said Lt. Cmdr. Cheri Ben-Iesau of the U.S. Coast Guard.

[Posted at 10:50 a.m.] The U.S. Coast Guard resumed its aerial search Thursday morning for 11 people missing after a "catastrophic" explosion aboard an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, an agency spokeswoman said.

The rig was still ablaze Thursday morning as a plane and helicopter rejoined rescuers' search for survivors of Tuesday night's explosion, Coast Guard Petty Officer Ashley Butler said.

Butler said oil was leaking from the rig at the rate of about 8,000 barrels of crude per day. The Coast Guard is also preparing for possible leaks of up to 700,000 gallons of diesel fuel, she said, but can do little to protect the environment until the fire is out.

An investigation was underway to determine what caused the blast aboard the rig Deepwater Horizon, which occurred about 10 p.m. (11 p.m. ET) Tuesday.

The mobile rig was about 52 miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana when the explosion occurred, said Coast Guard Senior Chief Petty Officer Mike O'Berry.

"It obviously was a catastrophic event," O'Berry said.

There were no indications it was a terrorist incident, the Coast Guard said.

Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. SeanyBinNJ

Hydro, Solar or wind power anyone????

I cant believe we are still trying to drill for more oil rather than concentrate on alternative technologies available, wake up US!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. mike c

this is a sad event

April 27, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. CD

Posted by: Proud WV Coal Miner's Daughter

...But to the tree huggers it must be said that if you don't want our services of coal and/or oil just go ahead and throw away your car keys and walk everywhere you go, and then flip your breaker and sit in the dark. If you're not going to appreciate the recourses that people like MY daddy, husband, uncles, cousins, and in-laws risk their lives to provide for YOU then don't use them. Simply put. Go ride a bike and buy some candles.
    --–
    It's not as ridiculous/difficult to leave a small carbon footprint as you're suggesting. many electric companies allow their customers to request their energy usage be provided by renewable energy sources, I usually ride a bike or use public transportation. When i have to rent a car i make sure it's a hybrid. and it's become relatively easy to buy good made from recycled materials and to recycle your own waste. I absolutely appreciate the resources, and (more so) the work that people like those in your family do to provide the resources we all use that make our quality of life better, but it doesn't mean I'm not excited to support the new industries and new means of energy that are emerging – the people employed by "green" jobs are hard working too. I'm not able to live entirely without using oil or coal, but whenever possible, I prefer to support an industry that will have a less harmful effect on the environment and provide less dangerous working conditions for it's employees.

April 27, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. ryan

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh survival of the fittest once again its not me hahahahahahaha

losers and i steal gas so i hope the price goes up you all are flakes

April 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. AML

RE: CD post

Well said. Not all who attempt to live a more sustainable lifestyle, even if marginally, are tree huggers. We all want what's best for our families. I would think most people would agree moving away from sole reliance on resources that, as CD asserts, have such a harmful effect on the environment and such dangerous working conditions, is a step in the right direction.

April 27, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Guest

This really is a tragic incident that will change tons of lives forever. God bless the men and women that have died in this accident and their families also. My <3 goes out to them. But I do think that setting the oil on fire is a very STUPID idea. Why do I say this? Well it's oil set it on fire anyone there is doomed. Flame plus oil equals BOOM!

April 27, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Elaine Worth

This is a really strange thing to happen, right after Obama said something about drilling for more oil off the eastern coast. The mine that took the lives of 29 workers is also a strange thing because of the finding it was not gas that caused this. Then Obama shows up to give the eulogy after he went to see Rev. Billy Graham after he told the Pentagon to take the invitation away from Rev. Franklin Graham, which was wrong for National Prayer Day.

April 27, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Elaine Worth

I forgot to ask where has SEIU & AFL-CIO been? Also, where has the UAW been who was suing GM & the American people who bailed them out also?

April 27, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Micheal Scott

I blame all of this on Obama! including the girl who got stung by the jellyfish!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. beth

This is why we should not have off shore drilling because of the mess that it can make. Lets invent a new kind of power with electronics instead of primitive crude oil. We have the brain power Lets use it

April 27, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Micheal Scott

Beth your an idiot. if your so smart, why dont you invent something. “you have the brain power” remeber? ok think before you talk

April 27, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anthony Ratcliffe

#41 Learn to spell before slagging of someone elses brain power!!!!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. B.gall

It's funny how a Californian can talk about helping the eviorment. I wonder who needs the most gasoline in our country. Who has the most cars and who is bulding houses on every tiny piece of land they can find. Califorinia is the reason this country is so screwed up. I say, California should suceed and save us the from their greedy ways. Yeah, Califorinia is who we want to model our country after, PLEASE.....

April 28, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  14. Allison Friedman

First of all, my heart goes out to the 11 missing people and their families. Second, I don't like when arguments over topics like this get extreme. Let's be reasonable. We all use energy in some ways, but we should all be doing more to reduce what we use for all kinds of reasons, environmental and financial.

I don't see why we can't just agree to look into better solutions like wind and solar and even tidal power (and really look, with huge financial investments). It is time to change our economy anyway, as we can. Oil won't last forever anyway. And to those who might say this will cost jobs, I first don't believe that our use of oil and coal will disappear tomorrow. And I second think that it is always important to take steps to make sure people have good jobs. That's the only way to make the big changes we need to.

I also feel terrible about the wildlife effects – I know the people and animals of Alaska are still suffering the effects of the Exxon spill years and years later. And no, I wasn't happy when I heard more oil platforms were being approved. I don't agree, but that's only my opinion and I certainly use energy. I do work on a green building website to do some good!

We have to make some big changes – I hope we can do this together as a global community instead of just seeming to enjoy arguing. If not, we are living in the past and won't compete anyway. Other countries get this and are transforming their economies – let's adjust our education and job training and show them what we can do! And let's not leave anyone behind. I believe it's possible.

Allison