April 23rd, 2010

Obama slams Arizona immigration bill

President Obama criticized a controversial new immigration bill in Arizona on Friday, calling it "misguided."

"Our failure to act responsible at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others. That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," the president said at a naturalization ceremony for members of the military.

"In fact, I've instructed members of my administration to closely monitor the situation and examine the civil rights and other implications of this legislation. But if we continue to fail to act at the federal level, we will continue to see misguided efforts opening up around the country."

He added, "As a nation, as a people, we can choose a different future - a future that keeps faith with our history, with our heritage, and with the hope that America has always inspired in the hearts of people all over the world."

Read full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Immigration
  1. young

What you idiots fail to realize is that this legislation will mess with people that are here LEGALLY.

Its bigoted legislation meant to get hispanics out of America, legal or not.

2. bw2004

i for one was a carpenter in oregon only to see my job lost to lower payed immagrants that work for 8 dollars hr now the construction work is all illegals most has collapsed because the government lets them break laws even if its our job as far as the town i live in used to be a nice middle class town with many american shops and was pretty safe to a place the shops are closing but maxicans are opening the shops back up it looks like mexico has been taking over due to criminals not enforcing the law except when it suites there desire to overun us i believe we should stop the war and use that to help americans first then help the needy then maybe americans will know the will of the people is being done

3. tyrdofit

Unbeliveable!

Illegal immigrants are by definition CRIMINALS! They are breaking our existing laws the second they step on American soil. Add to that the fact that a large percentage of these "immigrants" will break additonal laws in our country. They pay no taxes and take advantage of american tax-payer funded "entitlement" programs.

Where will it end? Our leaders are charged with safeguarding American CITIZENS first. This leader has a socialist agenda and intends to prusue that agenda in spite of the views and beliefs of the majority of Americans citizens.

This agrument has nothing whatsoever to do with LEGAL immigration or so called "civil rights". What about my rights as a tax paying American born citizen? I believe the rights of the many in AZ outweigh the rights of the few. It's that pricipal that is the central difference between democracy and anarchy.

I travel often to foreign democratic countries and I'm told immediately upon arrival that I must carry my passport at all times or face arrest and detainment.

This fish stinks from the head down!

4. wray

If this doesn't make it clear that his ego is out of control and he truly is operating as a dictator, I don't know what will? Time to stop him – someone get him out of that office before there is nothing left.....

5. Bobby

It all falls back to one thing under the table cheap labor.

6. sissy2004

Mr. President I voted for you and I think you are doing a great job, However I think you are dead wrong on this issue and the fact that you are a gainst this and you have no other option, makes me very angry. The new Arizona law would only be enforcing the original law that has not been used. You do nothing about the immigraton problem and it leads me to believe that you want them here for votes. I'm a dem but I think you are over in left field with your stance on illegals roaming our country.

7. common sense

cant we all just get along????

8. Tony

I know this is definitely inequality in action. To think that Mexicans are being denied the same right that every American politician has been given is not acceptable. Both they and Mexico should be allowed to continue to steal from the American taxpayer system without having to concern themselves over those pesky American laws. American corporations stopped worrying over them decades ago thanks to their buddies up in Washington. It's ridiculous to think in this day and age politicians and illegal immigrants should have to live in fear of being arrested for politicians stealing and mexicans murdering Americans in Arizona. I agree Obama the only slaves that should continue to exist in this country are Americans.

9. Marlynn

The only thing "misguided" is Obama, and those who voted for this anti-American moron!

10. Ed Guthrey

As usual Obama doesn't seemed to concerned about what people on the border states have to go through with all the kidnappings, murders and drugs. When is he ever going to get it and protect the people of the USA from these people. When is any president going to take action in this area? There is a proper way to become a citizen and have legal entry to the USA. Lets honor that.

11. George Douglas

Obama and the Democrats would rather have the approximately 20,000,000 illegal aliens in this country hoping to get enough voters out of them to out vote the real American citizens that dislike their policies. Approximately 8,000,000 American jobs are being stolen by illegal aliens, while 15,000,000 Americans are out of work. Many illegals work in skilled construction jobs such as carpenter, brick mason, plumber, roofers, etc. These are good paying jobs going to illegals paid less than market wage under the table. Illegals fill our schools, burden our health care system at tax payer expense, fill our cities with gang warfare, and change the character of our country to that of a latino third world country. This is not a racist statement. I am married to a latino whose ancestors cam to this country in 1840. She and her family detest people that come here illegally. We already have enough population in this country and we don't want to become Mexico Norte'. No one ethnic group should be allowed to come into this country in huge numbers. They will soon take over our country.

12. Dana in AZ

I live in AZ, and I can tell you all this: The illegal problem is huge! Notice that i said ILLEGAL and not 'legal'! That, in one word, is the definition of the law. I am all for anyone coming here to hese great States, but they must obey the law like the rest of us. I'm not too sure why some are fussing over over everyone having to be law-abiding people. If I wanted to live in another country, I would have to do so legally.

Dana

13. Gene

I wish Obama (or someone) would call the bluff of all these clowns yelling about "States Rights." I wish the next governor that cried states rights would get just what he asked for. No federal funding for anything. No highway repairs. NOTHING. If you don't think that would hurt, you must have missed how those hypocrites gobbled up that stimulus money, not hesitating to get in the photo ops at groundbreaking ceremonies and such. They only want states rights when it's in their favor.

April 23, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. Gary

It sends a terrible message when the President believes some of our laws are not important and do not need to be enforced. Immigration laws should be enforced like all other laws on our books until they are changed.

Most Americans want our immigration laws enforced. We do not want to reward criminal behavior.

April 23, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. Dylan

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

What I will never understand is how some Americans think they are better than other people in the world just because they were lucky enough to be born in a country with the opportunity that it has.

To quote one commenter, "scum illegal aliens". Perhaps being "scum" is to be one so selfish as to think oneself is even worthy of being a citizen of this country while believing that those unlucky enough to be born into poor countries deserve nothing.

April 23, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |