April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. robert

as many here have already stated, if you're here illegally then you should expect to be questioned, the people here legally can just show their documentation and then go on their way, so what's the problem?
    if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, i bet it's a duck.

April 27, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. LAMARD

FINALLY WHITE PEOPLE ARE FED UP,I GUESS THEY REALIZE IN ABOUT FIVES YEARS.WHERE DID ALL WHITE PEOPLE GO ,GOGET THEM CHARLIE.........GIVE THEM HELL..............

April 27, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JD

Cops do NOT have the right to ask for your proof of citizenship without probably cause that you are in violation of a CRIMINAL offense that would cause you to be removed from the USA. For all of you dimwits who listen to everything the liberal media portrays, being here illegally is NOT a criminal offense, it is a CIVIL offense. They cannot ask for proof of citizinship because they think you are illegal, the only criminal offenses associated with being illegal in this country is identity theft, smuggling minors, and return to this country illegally after being removed prviously.
    So I ask you, how is this racial profiling again?

April 27, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. steve

So I just read all the comments. Only 2 have a problem with this law. Other either are amused or are totally for it and want it in their state too.

I am all about this law. Every state should enact this as well. People working in the US and not paying taxes hurts the economy all around. People are receiving benefits but are not paying it back. I for one am tired of paying for someone to live off my dime.

It doesn't profile anywhere. If you put the same laws in NY, I'm sure all minorities would be in the air because there are Asian parts, Russian parts, African parts, Latin parts, etc etc etc...

As Lethal Weapons put it: "The sign says 'No Vacancy'."

April 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. keithmoore1

Mexican government playing their pity politics. The law's not even in effect yet–and might not even go into effect, depending on the legalities. It's in their interests to be portrayed as the victim.

April 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lulu

"Kim" made a comment that she does not carry proof that she is a legal American. Do you not carry a driver's license on you?

I think ALL states should do this. There are too few jobs in the states as it is and many are given to illegal immigrants because they will takes pennies to do the work. There is a reason they are called "ILLEGAL"! Personally, everytime you come across one, they should be deported immediately!

April 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kara in Oklahoma (lots of Mexicans here)

You know, the law doesn't actually say anything about mexicans. So, if they suspect a particular white person is Canadian do you think they will ask to see their papers? What if they run into a black person with a foreign accent...? What about all the nail shops with Viet Namese people working in there...are they going to start demanding to see their papers too? I think this law is stupid...but what irritates me more is that they won't just call a spade a spade. I'm curious what all the feed lots and pig farms are going to do without illegals to work them...they might have to pay real wages to real citizens...

April 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

It would be best if this law was Federal! The US should go back to its roots. Anyone without a felony should be allowed to come in legally and pay taxes. The rest should not be allowed in and if found illegally then they should be jailed for a year and deported!

April 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jo

@Elisabeth – I wouldn't take my family and immigrate illegally into another country. So what if members of their families get carted back? They shouldn't have been here illegally.

April 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ian Charles

This law is bogus because it allows police to arrest anyone if they don't have ID on them. If I walk outside and take a jog without my drivers license, then an officer in Arizona could arrest me on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant. It seems common sense that we shouldn't be forced to carry ID on the threat of jail. Why would you guys prefer to have hassle, occasionally serious inconvenience, and potentially a HUGE misunderstanding by leaving this decision of what is "reasonably suspicious" with each individual officer. This is racial profiling.

April 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BrownLegal

I did my MS here in US. Living here for 12+ years. Got citizenship legally. I am NOT going to visit Arizona soon. I do not want to be stopped because I look Asian. Good/Responsible cops in Arizona is supposed to stop me because of my color (my skin color suggests I am Asian American, but it does tell the cops I am legal!!!!), because that is what the law says.

April 27, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Andrew

There is an immigration problem, but the answer is not to start giving away or abandoning major precepts of the Constitution.

Anyone in America... citizen or otherwise... has a constitutional right to "freedom from unreasonable search and seizure." The Constitution says so.

To those who think that "if you're legal you'll have no problem": here's a reality check. If deemed suspicious, the person is going to find themselves detained and questioned adversely.

In some cases, people are going to be stopped by heavily armed paramilitary police, isolated and questioned intensely. Each of these "stops" is going to be a terrifying incident for the one being pulled over and it's not going to be "over" so quickly or easily as you might want to believe. The result of this will be an extremely keyed-up police force operating in a hair-trigger manner.

We have this in Miami already. You don't want to have any contact with police here, not even in innocence: in front of these police, you must simply shut up and let them say/do what they will with you; or you will be detained longer, ticketed for trumped-up infractions, or arrested if you dare question what's happening. It's power out of control. Add these immigration powers to that mix and the situation becomes heavily overweighted against even the innocent citizen.

Generally this is not what we want in the USA: policing is expected to be civilian in nature and the presumption extended to members of the public is innocence until proof of guilt. When government adopts the other attitude, assuming an untrustworthy public, that government itself has ceased to be a free, representative government. Rule founded on suspicion is the sign of a guilty ruler.

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jason from Hollywood

"every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned" – yes that's the whole point. If they were American citizens there would be no outrage and no problem.

If I moved to France, took my family, didn't pay taxes, enjoyed the country and took advantage of their state paid services such as health care, fire, police, and free schools, demanded that all signs have an english translation and that there should be english-taught classes in their public school system – what would the reaction be?

Oh, and I would also proudly display my American Flag all over town, paint my house to match, and make sure I have miniature flags to post on the windows of my car...

I would get arrested and laughed out of town. Why do illegal mexicans have this entitlement issue. What do we owe them? When is it enough for them? What do we owe these people who are infesting our country and why do we pay so much attention to their complaints?

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. luis

Horrible idea gives the cops more rights to pull anyone over if their name comes up on their system as a foreigner wow how racist.God makes the final choice my friends.

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. fish192

When will Washington State do a similar bill? I'll be the first to sign it!

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100