April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. shopPrincess

The issue is that the Arizona Gov. has yet to define how law enforcement is going to determine what is suspicious enough to warrant asking for papers? Many illegals do not commit crimes, they are hardworking people so I feel a lot of people with tan colored skin are going to be unjustly stopped.

If you are not a person of color you cannot understand how humiliating it is to be harassed by law enforcement for absolutely no reason...I am a US citizen born and raised. I am thankful that I don't live in Arizona and wont be coming to visit.

If you are worried about illegals crack down on the businesses that hire them...heaven forbid that...

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tom Jacobus

What I don't understand is the civil rights concerns of all these protestors. From everything I have read, Arizona's law emulates the Federal law and the state is only steping in to enforce what is already on the books. Sounds to me like Arizona should be protesting (and charging) the Feds to pay for the enforcement actions that not performed.

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Buzz Lightyear

Seig Heil Arizona!
    Allus git!!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mike

Kelly and Kim.....as far as someone that has traveled all over the globe.....I have never failed to cary documentation with me...it's their country, it's their laws and by entering, I agree to follow those out of respect for their authority. last thought...i hear you say we should tolerate "illegal" if it puts money in our pocket. Personally, I refuse to prostitute my morals for money. Sounds like what started the demise of our country in the first place.

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. alceste

Man! In other words, the United States of America has lost its soveraignity – how long do we need to wait to see that the UN buffoons issue a "genocide-concerned" statement regarding this situation?
    I tell you what – a few days ago, I had a quite "balanced" regard towards this matter – now, because the hard pressure of the left, I'm really incensed, and I SINCERELY HOPE that California, N Mexica and Texas pass (among other states) a similar law, too –
    This time I simply had it – and this comes from Los Angeles, so from now on I will encourage legislation in this matter in the harshest form –
    Sometimes when it;'s over, it is simply over – STOP THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION NOW. IT"S DESTRUCTIVE, IT"S INSANE, IT RUINS THE FUTURE OF THIS COUNTRY –
    Adios –

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John

2:53 pm ET Yo... the Natives want their land back and want all you illegal white folk to get the fcuk out immediately. You don't need to show your papers, just pack your shyte and leave. You white folk have jacked this country up enough already...

ha ha yeah you mexicans have done so great with yours

April 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mike

You think this is an ok law? seriously?

I'm sorry, I was born here. My parents were born here. I shouldn't be stopped by a cop and asked to provide proof of citizenship on their whim, just based on what I look like.

The vague "reasonable cause" can cover just about anything. It's way too broad.

Fix the issue - don't let illegals here in the first place. It's a border issue. Address the root causes.

April 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Love

Are there any Indians left telling white folks to go home???

April 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hourdrum

if only we could do the same for all the EURO TRASH DESCENDANTS who have overstayed their welcome for over 200 yrs. YOU GO HOME!

April 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. nookly23

Mexico is issueing a travel warning? WOW, that is like Iraq saying the Gaza strip is dangerous. Maybe if the Mixican government was not so corrupt, people might stay in that cesspool of a country. The boarder area should be turned into a live fire range for the military.

April 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jammerm

Our travel advisorys about going to Mexico are about your chance of being shot and killed, their advisory is we might harass citizens. STill looks like the USA is the better place.

April 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cris

@SHAUN

If you are going to bash on another country's economy, you might want to take a look at your own economy. BTW...crime is not just based on race.

@DAVE

I AGREE

April 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MAMI

it is when an american citizen will be questioned on legality because of color, i am mexican american citizen, born here along with millions of other mexican americans. that is when the real problem will start.

April 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sonia

The nerve of the Mexican Government is amazing. So the ones loosing here in Tucson are going to be who?: Marshall's, the Dollar stores? give me a break. Maybe now business will go back to greeting people in English for a change!

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JohnTheAppalled

It's not a huge leap to consider showing identification to buy alcohol and tobacco. Is it profiling to only ask young looking people for their identification when buying this stuff?Would anyone consider the act of showing I.D. when buying those things illegal?

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100