April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Phil C

OK, Cisco, etc.; when you were last out of your home, what document(s) did you have on you that proved you were an American citizen? And don't say your drivers license, because possession of a drivers license does not demonstrate citizenship.

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JO LOPEZ

So I get it the only ones not targeted are the American Indians okay got it ..

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Amanda

The problem really isn't whether someone is here legally vs. illegally. The problem is how the law enforcement is going to enforce this law = racial profiling. That is illegal.

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JD

@ Ian Charles
    Cops can already arrest you without an ID if they have probable cause that you are in violation of any criminal or civil offense...This is no different, all it does is extend that law to illegals, because previously state officers could not enforce federal laws that only violate civil offenses, only criminal. Now it is a civil offense to be on Arizona land illegally...get a clue.

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ron

hey in the state I live in I have to show ID to buy a pack of cigerettes , everyday I am 59 years old , so what is all the fuzz about your here legally or your not .plan and simple.

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Vaughn B

A "negative political environment" is still better than the alternative of being shot, robbed, or beaten in Mexico.

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brandon

This law is unconstitutional at best. At the worst, I feel that otherwise legal residents of the State will be subjected to interrogation without just cause. We know immigration is a problem, both legal and illegal. The problem can only be resolved by the Federal Goverment as required by the Constitution. Yeah, that document written about 1789. Remember that? Oh, wait, I guess it doesn't matter anymore? I emplore the Federal Government to address this issue immediately before other states follow suit in this ridiculous act.

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cf

I'm here legally – I immigrated from the UK and became a naturalized US citizen... But I don't carry my naturalization papers around with me. I just carry my driver's license, which does not prove legal status.

SO, are you people truly suggesting that every person in this country should be required to carry their birth certificate and/or passport and/or naturalization certificates so we can all prove we are here legally in case you are stopped by police and questioned randomly?

Who here that is in support of this law is willing to start carrying their "papers" around 24/7 or risk going to jail, just because you went to the store for a loaf of bread? Or for dropping you kid off at school in your pajamas.

"Sorry, officer, I forgot my legal papers. I just have my driver's license and registration" "Well, if you can't prove you are a citizen I'll have to arrest you then".

WOW! THAT SOUNDS REALLY FUN! WAKE UP PEOPLE!

April 27, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jaz

Illegal Aliens: Anyone who is NOT 100% Native American needs to adhere to the law. This country has had a problem with Illegals since the 1500's and has become over run with Illegals since the 1500's. The Natives held this land in perfect pristine condition until the last 200 years.

I agree, we have too many illegals here. Namely white folk. Blacks were brought here against their will, so we don't mind if they stay. Those of you that claim to be "part Indian", you're mostly white, so please again, pack yo shyte and go back to your motherland. We Natives will gladly see you to the port doors and gladly shut the door on your arses.

April 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JD in VA

The problem with the bill is it opens up legal immigrants to constant harrassment. I believe that is the big issue here. If you are here legally, and you look Hispanic, what is to stop every cop from asking you for your papers. You have to carry at least 2 forms, sometimes 3 forms of ID to satisfy your legality. How many white Americans carry around 3 official forms of ID with them everywhere they go? That being said, I am strongly opposed to illegal immigrants using the roads, schools, public land, and emergency services that we legal taxpayers pay for. If they are here illegally, most of them are not paying taxes that legal citizens are expected to pay. Those here illegally get to drive on our roads, go to school with our kids, have our police keep their neighborhoods safe, use our hospitals as doctors offices, and have our military keeping them safe. I dont want to pay for someone to be here illegally to use the stuff I work to pay for, when they send half of their money back to Mexico or El Salvador or wherever they are from and dont pay any taxes to contribute to the public works in America. I applaud Arizona for attempting to address this situation in a workeable manner, however this is far from perfect. It will partly accomplish what it is trying to do, stem illegal immigration, but it will also cause an additional burden to legal immigrants and Hispanics. This is by no means a perfect law, but I am glad to see someone in government trying to do something about this epidemic.

April 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. NancyLV

So I have to carry my drivers license when I go out shouldn't you anyway? I have forgotten to put my proof of auto insurance in my car and all I had to do was to show that I was insured and all is forgiven what is so bad about showing you are here legally then on your merry way. I am proud of Arizona for standing their ground I live in Nevada and it is bad here too you can't even go into a store without everyone in there speaking spanish they don't want to learn english. Someone had to stand up. Kuddos to the govenor.

April 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MATT DENVER CO

and this is to ALL THE PEOPLE PREACHING 'LEARN ENGLISH'. ARE YOU TOO STU PID TO LEARN ANOTHER LANGUAGE? TOO DA MN LAZY TO ENRICH YOUR MIND AND YOUR WORLD? I'M WHITE. I TRACE MY FAMILY BACK TO THE FIRST PILGRIM BORN ON AMERICAN SOIL. I LEARNED SPANISH. I MARRIED MY WIFE AND HAVE A BEAUTIFUL SON BECAUSE I DECIDED TO VISIT ANOTHER COUNTRY AND ENRICH MYSELF. YOU CAN LEARN SOMETHING FROM THIS YOU INGNORANT..

April 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. @letitia

are you a native american b!@tch?the article is not about your sister in law, or did anybody ask.Who asked you to come to this country? read the article, it's about the mexican gov. warning there citizens to be prepare an show proper i.d.B!@tch. if for any reason mexican citizens are beign harrassed or discriminated, they have human right and can file legal complaints, JUST LIKE OUR goverments protect u.s. citizens abroad

April 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tom

Mexico is a huge country as is the USA. I'm sick of hearing you rednecks saying the whole territory of Mexico is a land where you'll be kidnapped or you body parts will be sold. The border regions ARE violent but if you go to other parts like not along the border, it is very safe. The border areas are the way they are because of the policies that the US has and because most of the guns come form the USA. duh!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rob

In about 4 months I'm sure we wi'll see a drop in female beating and rape cases in Arizona!

April 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100