April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. D Reid

Let's expand this policy. Police should inspect people who look poor and make sure they have car insurance. Let's check black people for drugs and white teenagers for guns. Let's make it easy for the police and make all the "Legal Mexicans" wear a symbol on their clothing. Maybe Blue Diamonds or Purple Horse Shoes. Anything from Lucky Charms, Way to go AZ! A state ful of AZh@les!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

Sounds like little Liberal C N N has many conservative view points on this issue. This tells me the American people have awoken!! No more illegals! Get your butt out our country and stop leeching off her hard earned tax payer money, Now if only we can deport you know who back to his home country.

April 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John

YES USA is a BAD place please stay HOME!!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ds

How is it that the federal goverment can spend my tax money on illegals.They would be at my door if i spent my money on something illegal.Ithink we should sue the goverment for using our money on illegals.The time has come.

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fred sission

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Greg

At least Arizona has it's act together. I have long admired maricopa County there.

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. steve

Need to do the same thing in Oregon.

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. david

Ivan #52- to the contrary,you have lost Mass. seat,NJ gov. seat,harry reid will be out[ see the poles] and chicago will rid itself of Blanch Lincoln. Don't be a osterich, get your head up and come join the tea party revolution ,it's like winning the superbowl

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dave

My American family history goes back - not only to our founding fathers –but well beyond that through my Native American side of the family. My skin is therefore a little darker and I happen to have a Spanish last name. Does that mean I will be challenged every time I turn around to prove I am a U.S. citizen? How degrading! Who in the world carries around Birth Certificate papers to prove you belong? Is this a Police State? What is happening to our FREEDOM people?

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Patrick

to jennifev, your a fool to think people are racist because they support this law. This law is not about hispanics, whites, blacks, asians, europeans, or even middle easterns. It is about people coming into this country illegally. You should really stop playing the race card, it is tiresome and played out. And another note, for those that call your self mexicans but are born her in the USA, guess what.... Your American!

I've been stopped by border patrol several times in my life over the years checking to make sure I'm legal. Guess what, I showed them my Drivers licences (which by the way proves citizenship) and they sent me on my way. This law is a good thing and does not promote racial profiling. There are many countries that require outsiders to carry papers saying they are allowed in the country, why should we be different?

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jen

This is not a race thing, it's an ILLEGAL thing. What don't people understand about that? If you have and can produce papers, then there is nothing to worry about. I am asked for id to drink alcohol. I don't put up a fight. It's part of our laws. If you don't like our laws, go back to your home.

April 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Paula M.

I can't help but feel sad about the Arizona law that passed. Ppl should not have to walk around with documentation. A state ID should suffice. It's like slave papers in my eyes. Arizona wants to know if you're a free slave. I do understand the immigration issue but there has to be a better way. It’s a sad day to be American

April 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. James

Hey angel.and the rest of you sympathetic hacks.....most, if not all of us LAW-ABIDING Americans and LEGAL immigrants have NO problem with Mexicans coming across the border to visit, work, or live here. JUST DO IT LEGALLY! Why should they get a free pass to enter, get a job (pay no taxes), and get medical benefits while my wife from just above the Canadian border took several years to get in legally through the immigration system? So screw all of you bleeding hearts who want to "just let them come in and live with us in peace." Obey the law!

April 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Roberto (Legal)

Out of all the hysteria and hyposcrisy in this situation is the passionate umbrage that comes from Mxican government officials constantly. The terrible behavior that they encourage their citizens to perform in the United States is not based on any legal or moral standing. It is MONEY, MONEY, MONEY! Money sent by Mexican citizens back to mexico is that country's SECOND LARGEST SOURCE OF REVENUE! Money untaxed in the US where it was earned while the illegals demand free public education, free healthcare in our emergency rooms, free welfare programs (private charity and government), while housing drug and human trafficers, and account for 5 times the violent and property crimes than their proportion of the poulation! About time Arizona, and hopefully other states will finally wake up and take the action of protection that the federal government is constitutionally required to provide, but has not for the last 30 years. Bring on the lawsuits – it has been a long time since the Supreme Court has "clarified" the ninth and Tenth Amendments for us.

April 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Coaster

I applaud the citizens of Arizona for having the gutts to do something about the problem of illegal immigration. If the federal government, and our congressional representatives won't do something, then maybe it's time for the states to get it done. I'll go one better: If you are in this country illegally and you have a child, that child should not automatically be a citizen of our country. The United States can no longer afford the welfare and warfare mentaility that has permeated our policies. This isn't about racism. It's not about being bigoted. It's about asking people to either come to our country legally – or don't bother coming at all. Stop the automatic citizenship, where the United States becomes the financial parent of illegal immigrants' chiildren, and you stop some of the reasons for illegal entry.

April 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100