April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Bebop

Based on many of the posts I've read here it proves this point. When given an open forum, many ignorant people in this country can't wait to reveal themselves. "Man believes only what he truly believes, but never thinks to question beyond that." There is not one person here who wouldn't be irked if questioned several times a day about citizenship.

April 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nellie

I was born and raised in Arizona as were my parents. My children and grandchildren too were born and raised here. The truth of the matter is that ALL mexicans will be targeted not just the illegals. My son is being deployed to Kawait and his son is also serving as a United States Marine. It is OK for them to serve this country and put their lives on the line so that everyone, white, black, brown, etc can go to sleep safe but they cannot walk the streets without worrying whether they will be stopped and harrassed by the police. That is the issue here, that is why we mexicans are opposed to this bill. It will happen, it already is.

April 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Richard

Don't people see where this is headed? Already the rich would like to keep the poor out of their neighborhoods. A few years ago Arizona was allowed to pass a law requiring id for voting, not a bad idea, but it raises the question: How many people opted out of voting to avoid the hastle? It won't be long before they start checking your income taxes to see if you are "legal" to be protected by the police. Evil starts small and always appears so friendly and warm until he has you firmly in your grasp and you are justifying all manner of evil in the interests of protecting what you have.

April 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RandyT

Sunshines siad "Maybe Mexico and Obama have awakened to the fact that American's do not want illegals here."

Dah, I think it is the Republicans that say they will not take up immigration.

April 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JD

If you don't want to carry around your legal documentation, then DON'T give a cop any reason to think you broke any other law besides being here illegally, because that does NOT warrant a search under this law....

April 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jody White

Arizona you should be one proud State, Hoo Rah for your leaders. If you are not in the United States Legally, get out. Mexico stay home and keep your crime and thugs in your own country.
    Texas get off your butt and follow the leaders in this historic reclaiming of our American Borders and the United States of America.

April 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alex McC

But if your of a latin background and always are harassed for papers that can impact your life. I would be pissed if everyday when I walk to school I was stopped

April 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gina

This law is bullsh**. I have Hispanic blood in me, does that mean If I go to Arizona and don't happen to have my drivers license on me or leave it at the hotel I'll be deported?

I bet those of you that have 'no problem' with that law haven't got the slightest worry. Then again, I can also see your intelligence level through the grammatical structure of your comments that you leave so it doesn't surprise me all that much.

It's racial racial profiling. If they're going to pick on those who fit the bill of 'illegal immigrants' appearance wise, I honestly think they might as well bump it up so that any and all citizens of Arizona will be required to have proof of legality on them at all times. It's only 'fair' that way.

April 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Puerto Rican US Citizen

The problem with this legislation....is that the cops are enforcing it (a group notoriously bad at making "judgement" decisions).

Being a Puerto Rican American citizen.....I can easily see myself or my daughter being stopped and asked for documents in Arizona. That is BS. Although, I am all for stronger immigration laws and for removing anyone illegally in the U.S.

I just don't like cops enforcing it....they're not good at these types of things.

April 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. @ROB

@ROB are you leaving the state?

April 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brian

What virually all posters are conveniently ignoring and, thereby essentially lying in their posts, is this only pertains IF the person is detained as part of another crime!!!! This in no way means the police can just go up and ask you for your paperwork. If you steal a car they're going to ask you for the paperwork.

April 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steven Winter

This new law does not go far enough, but it is a good start. All states should adopt it and even make it more severe. What part of "illigal" (immigrant) is in question? Our country has been greatly diminished because we didn't STOP ALL IMMIGRATION years ago!!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lisa

@Skippy

I think your are 100% correct......I would be mad if I was stopped over and over again. I am a citizen, and hispanic. It would upset me if I had to carry my social and or birth certificate with me evrywhere...not to mention I served my country and this is what I get!!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. robert

my comment was removed?

the truth must hurt when it's told to the illegals.

when an illegal is caught driving after causing injury and death which happened to my aunt and she's now a widow because of an illegal that conveniently disappeared after his court hearing.
    about 20 years ago when in court on a traffic hearing, the judge was told through an interpreter that the individual couldn't pay the court ordered restitution because he sends 3/4 of his money back to his country.

April 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Matt

I am amazed that many people's belief that if they are legal, they have nothing to fear.

If the government is going to stop people and check their papers, they should require EVERYONE without regard to race or "suspicion" and keep statistics of who they have stopped. I am quite sure many Arizona residents who care so much about their freedom and hated any government interference in their life would enjoy this exercise. Letting the police use an unspecified "suspicion" is just racial profiling in disguise.

April 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100