April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Buzz Lightyear

Out with all Polosh people!!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike T

I say everyone start a complete boycott of Arizona. Hmm, other than a big hole in the earth, not sure of the value of that state anyway. A drivers license doesn't prove a darn thing. Neither would a SSN, I mean how many fakes are there already floating out there. Oh wait this is the state with so many birthers, I hope some white guy gets busted for not having the "original" birth certificate to prove he was born in the U.S. HAAHA. If some cop stops you, how can you really prove you are a naturalized citizen? Say "wait a moment, let me fly back to the city I was born and give you a copy of my birth certificate." All Americans now will have to start walking around with their passport. I forgot the copyright on the phrase "SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS" is now public domain, since its been so long since Hitler or Stalin have died. Way to go Arizona, bring back Communism or Fascism. This is one American who is going to tell ten other Americans to boycott your state.

April 27, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

Wow! The first time Mexico has issued a travel advisory telling its citizens to not enter Arizona illegally, who would have ever thought. The US issues travel advisories telling its citizens to not go to Mexico legally because of the inherent dangers of physical harm. Sounds like this law is working just fine on both sides of the border. HURRAY and FINALLY!

April 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. KDL

as I read the comments, I think people fail to see how this can and will spiral into something else.... IMO, we are on our to a one-world gov't where everyone will need to carry some type of ID on them.... and this ID will be needed to do anything.... and of course, there WILL always be an excuse, usually using fear and national security... where are all my Liberatarians on this issue....

is it just me, or is this starting to sound like the worst part of the book of Revelations?

April 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marc

So let me get this straight...I am American born and raised...I go out for a ride in Tempe and get stopped at the gas station by a random police officer. I can't produce my passport or birth certificate (because as an American I do not have to carry it)...so I can be detained for that or held until I can prove I am legal? This just opens the door for trouble. The lawsuits that will stem from this are terrifying to think about. Arizona just opened themselves up to a wrath of harrassment suits from bona fide Americans.

April 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ustaxpayer

Hey Louis in Brooklyn – do you have a driver's license like all the other citizens of this great country? If you were born in the US I'll assume you do. In case a cop has any reason to be suspicious of you (in Arizona) and asks to see some credentials, you just pull that trusty license out and show them... and then you'll be on your merry way. End of story.

April 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tbartsch

C'MON TEXAS!! JUMP ON THIS BANDWAGON!!!!

Now I know why Mexico can't even control their own country! This whole statement is just stupid!!! Do we need to examine the Mexican policies for illegals going into their country??

April 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Buzz Lightyear

Ged rid of theBrits – we don't need them.

April 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Nick

Sure, this is profiling of Mexicans and other south of the border peoples but it's not like Arizona has a problem with millions of clammy, white Brits invading their state. I don't have a problem with it. When I visit Mexico, I always have my passport with me.

April 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NC Vet

All of you are correct in saying that if you are here legally all you have to do is show your papers and move on; the problem is how many times a day or week does a person have to show those same papers? You all make it seem like if a person shows his papers to one police officer thier name automatically come up on the good list. How would you feel if you were on vacation in the Bahamas and were asked for your papers two or three times a day for the entire trip?

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Vickie

I hope Arizona has enough money to pay for all the law suits...idiots.

Posted by: karina
    ****************************
    It has got to be cheaper than paying for the prenatal care of thousands of anchor babies, Section 8 housing, food stamps, ER and public health department medical treatment, education, criminality, law enforcement and jail.

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Buzz Lightyear

Does anyone really like all the Irish?

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rich Johnson

Watch Crime drop in AZ.I plan to vacation there this winter!

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SaintGenesius

This is how tyranny begins –it all seems so simple. How about this, legal immigrants –and the children of legal immigrants –should have to wear a pin, or better yet sew an emblem on their clothing. Just so we can quickly identify who is legal. That would work.

May I see your papers please.

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fred

I think I'll get all bent out of shape and scream racism and that I am still a human being and rant and scream when a cop asks me for my drivers license. I'll expect the President of the United States, the UN and Mexico to be up in arms when the cops threaten to arrest me for failing to comply.

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100