April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Mari

Its my understanding from reading about this law that a drivers license ID is not enough verification for legal citizen's who are naturalised or resident alien. Also sounds like this can be expanded to born in the US citizens who look 'foriegn', to carry some other form of proof other than a drivers License. i.e like your birth cert

Perhaps I misread the news write up, I hope I did.

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike T

As to those who say I have nothing to worry about because I am legal. As if in the moment, the cops will just say.. Oh ok, go on your way..I have a feeling its more like "PROVE IT" .

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bebop

Someone said that Obama is realizing Americans don't want illegals here...LOL. You didn't want them here during 8 years of Bush, but because his corporate cronies were amking money off their backs, this issue was never addressed. What??? Repubs making money while taking advantage of the people??? Sounds like right now...can you say Wall St meltdown and Goldman Sachs?

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Buzz Lightyear

Germans do not pay their way here!!
    Remove them!!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brandon

Lets just be fair, Ive driven and forgotten my id card once in my life before.... there needs to be governance to protect our borders... But not to the extreme if obiviously targeted hispanics(not just mexicans because im sure people will be profiled of all latin decent) forget any documentation at any point and end up in jail... I mean if my id is left and I'm pulled over being black, I dont expect to go to jail... Or questioned of being deported, even if i am legal and cant right away prove it... they need to make the law fair then if anyone is caught without any documentation.. They will be subjected to jail time

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Josh

As American citizens, we are required to carry identification on us at all times. Even to report a change of address within 10 days. Why is it so hard... when I get pulled over, it's always license and registration.

April 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hourdrum

AMERICA = MELTING POT. IT'S THAT SIMPLE, BUT YOU GUYS KEEP PRAYING FOR AN ALL WHITE WORLD, WHILE WE SIT BACK AND LAUGH. so voice your opinions that no one gives a damn about.

April 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pablo

This is ludicrous. Mexicans are coming to this country regardless of any warning. Just look at their country. Its garbage

April 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ron

BREAKING NEWS MEXICO'S PRESIDENT CALDERON HAS REINFORCED ITS SECURITY ALONG THE ARIZONA BORDER, TO APPRENHEND ALL AMERICANS TRYING TO ENTER HIS COUNTRY ILLEGALLY RETALIATION FOR ARIZONA'S IMMIGRATION LAW WARNING IF YOU GET CAUGHT YOU HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHTS ,

April 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

Liberals and Mexican Rights activists are blowing this way out of proportion, they oppose any measures that would help stem the flow of Drugs, Weapons and Terrorists across our borders – besides, the law specifically states the officer can only enforce this law if they have already made a "lawful" contact, you can't just pull someone over for being brown. When a cop pulls you over, you have to produce a Driver's License or you're in trouble. How is this any different?

April 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. army wife

Those who complain about having to produce an id try living on a military base; we have to show ours everyday to do anything, (get to the house, buy gas, buy groceries, utilize services, etc.). And random checkpoints on the side of the road; yep we have those too-and you'd better have your drivers license and proof of insurance or you're walking and your car impounded. Quit your whining and just pull out your ID. Oh my, you might have to pull it out more than once in a day, Its 2pm and I've already been carded at least 5 times.

April 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Buzz Lightyear

Jewish – let's get them next!!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Michael

Bdub said :"I'm an American, I've served in the militarty, I have 4th amendment rights and I do not have to carry "my papers" with me when I walk the streets of my country. Should I go to jail because I left my wallet at home when I took the dog for a walk?"

-------
    You obviously havent had too many encounters with police / law enforcement.. ANYTIME you are on the "street" a police officer can ask you for "ID"... if you don't have your identification, they will either "run" your social security number, address, name/DOB via walkie talkie or on their car computer.

You won't go to jail for not having ID, but in all 50 states you WILL go to jail if asked for the information and you refuse to give it. Suppose you also don't know that below the 4th amendment, further down the list, the constitution says the government can then hold you for 48 hours without ANY charges... so basically if you are "on the street" or in your house, a cop could arrest you for no real reason and imprison you for 2 days...

In America, just like in Europe, Russia, China, and any other civilized country, you must either carry ID, or know your personal information to present when asked by authorities.

April 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dr. X

GET THIS LAW IN TEXAS – NOW

April 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lan

funny, wasn't Arizona once Mexico? If we want to talk about native americans and their right to be here..well, Mexicans are as American as apple pie.

April 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100