April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Paul Rever and his Horse

Stop all this fussing or I will ride at you and my horse will bomb you

April 27, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joe

Mexico should detain all the Americans, do mass sweeps in Cancun and Cabo beaches....make sure they have their legal paper work ON them. Arrest those who do not and ship them back to Arizona....

Arizona...the same state that didn't celebrate MLK day, the same state that brought up the crazy birther legislation, now this.....The New Arizona Party Slogan is "Yes We KLAN"

April 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bob

OMG People....... Look at Arizona and where it sits. Open your EYES......
    They are bordering Mexico and all the people that flee to our Country illegally. They have there drug runners, illigal aliens, killers, rapest and all kinds of radicals. Heck one property/ranch owner was killed by the Mexican's coming across.
    They come across an leave litter on peoples properties.
    I think Arizona did the right thing and they are protecting the citizens of the USA. I have nothing again people coming to our country but for god's sack do it LEGALLY.
    So my suggestion to the people of Arizon, carry your I.D. because it is for your safety.

April 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wilson

Under the new law police in AZ are also allowed to search homes of non-whites without warrants to make sure nothing illegal is going on.

April 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PABLO

ARRIBBA TODOS LOS MEXICANOS

April 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

Hope it hurts Arizona where it hurts: the economy. Racism by any other name... this is exactly how Hitler cam to power. A major boycott of Arizona needs to be organized.

April 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fbysea

I hope Governor Brewer has a lot of money set aside for all the lawsuits which will inevitably result from abusive profiling.

April 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. George W Bush

Get Dick.Cheney
    Tell him h is hunting
    He will shoot em'
    Won't even know he did it.

April 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PABLO

MEXIXICANS THE BEST

April 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ben Franklin

Long Live Teabagistan!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim T

This whole business is rediculous. My familiy immigrated to the United States, legally. I am a first generation American born of Italian parents whose families traveled here in the 40s and 50s. They took the legal pathway to becoming naturalized citizens, they took the time to LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH and teach their children to speak english and to obey the law.

When I traveled to Russia last year I had to register my travel visa at a local magistrate's office within 72 hours of arrival, if I did not their immagration department would have fined and potentially arrested my girlfriend's mother who sponsored my visit. After registering my visa I was required to keep it and my American passport on my person at all times, if I were stopped for so much as crossing the street the wrong way and did not have my papers I would have been put in jail.

The communities protesting this law they are not made up of "immigrants" they are composed of ILLEGAL ALIENS. When you enter another sovereign country you obey their laws or you face the consiquences of your actions.

My best friend and my girl friend both have green cards, federal law requires them to keep it on their person at all times – this is nothing new.

April 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Vickie

Will it include what a legal immigrant or Mexican-American looks like for comparison? What will be the difference between the two photos? It should make for some classic comedy too. I REALLY REALLY hope they make that training manual.
    ********************
    The illegal one is the one heading South of the border without American taxpayer support. Do you refuse to show a picture ID if you write a check or if a policeman asks you for driver's license? The bum class is howling large and loud.

April 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Elise

I am a legal citizen or the United States!! Born and raised and proud of it!! I will carry my US passport everyday just ask I don't mind showing it!!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BosBos

Two things: I don't think anyone, on either side, is saying those that are here illegally have a right to be here. What they are saying is, regardless of citizenship, they are entitled to particular rights as humans ncluding access to medical care in emergencies, and freedom from discrimination, to name of few.

Second thing is, there seems to be a lot of conversation suggesting Mexicans or other immigrants leave their homeland because either their country is in shambles, they don't like their country or the US is just somehow exponentially better than their homeland. Though it may be true, the real question is, how did their countries get in to such dire situations that they feel the need to leave their country. Often the answer is related to decades of US foreign policy and exploitation. Not to say now it is the responsibility of the US to let illegal immigrants roam free in the US, but it might help if the consumeristic populous of the US was a little more aware of their actions and the effects they have on the world. Maybe there might be more sustainable solutions offered once that awareness is reached.

Might be good to translate the lyrics of "Frijolero" by Molotov.

April 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John Smith

It's about time someone took action and made a "decision!" I love that law!

April 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100