April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. David Flores

My brother served in Iraq as a Marine

My father served in the army during the Vietnam era

My grandfather and step-grandfather fought in WWII

I have distant relatives (great uncles) who fought against Mexico on the side of the Republic of Texas with Juan Seguin and the Tejanos.

However, if I go to Arizona, I could be harassed and arrested for not having a passport because I look Mexican. That's a bunch of crap.

April 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  2. just a thought...

I'm a native born US citizen but since i don't normally travel in the US with either my birth certificate or my passport, I have NO way of proving I'm a native born US citizen to the Arizona police either. Granted, they would NEVER question me since I'm a fair skinned blonde with blue eyes. So I'm just saying, in this case the only way they would suspect me was if I had brown skin, i.e. racial profiling. But if they would stop me because oh... they suspected I was Scandinavian or something.... I would have no way to prove I was a US citizen either. This law is a violation of citizens' civil rights . To those who are making the comments of "if you're here legally, then what's the problem", do you make it a habit of carrying around your birth certificate and US Passport when you go to the grocery store? If you don't, you better start doing it. Otherwise, how are we to know that YOU"RE who you say you are and in fact from the US?

... Just a though

April 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Buzz Lightyear

Break dance testing.
    that is the best way to id them.

April 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Frank

If two US born citizens, one caucasian and one hispanic, are stopped by a policeman in Arizona, who do you think the policeman will ask to prove legallity?
    Now all the minorities born in US living in Arizona will be carrying their Birth Certificates.

Question for Caucasian US Citizen in Arizona, do you think you will care to carry your Birth Certifcate?

Same question to a minority US Citizen in Arizona.

I am a US citizen by birth. I am a minority. I live in Arizona. I have a strong feeling that one of these days a policeman will ask for my status and I will not have my Birth Certificate in my pocket. I guess I will have to get a copy of birth certificate for each member of my family and put it in my car along with my Car Registration and Insurance documents. Do caucasians from Arizona on this forum feel the same way?

April 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. J Holmes

Does anyone realize that our food in America is making us sick? 3 to 4 corporations are running the show and all we can fight about is some folks trying to make a better way for themselves. Get a grip people. There is more trouble out there than some people from south of the border. And for those TRUE idiots that think you'll get you job back.....YOU WON'T WORK FOR THAT WAGE....AND those companies don't want you.
    F.N. IDIOTS
    Protect our FOOD

April 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pancho Villa

I am a half white half mexican american. I always carry my drivers licences becasue when a cop pulls me over he asks for ID. I don't think he is rascist he wants to know who I am and if I am up to something legal or illegal. So if I am an immigrant here legally or just a us citizen who is mexican and I am pulled over or stopped by a cop. I give him my ID/licences/green card whatever.. he determines what I am doing and we part ways. What a god awful scenario right. This should never happen. How cruel of Arizona. Oh and Jaz as for American Indians. Sorry you sold your land for tea cups, beads, and blankets. Sorry the rest of it was taken by war. War winners always give what they have won. No other nation in the world has given an indigenous population special land of their own to put casinos on. When is the American Indian going to assimilate into American society so they can come off the reservation and their doulbe wide trailer home and actually be a productive member of society? Cheap college and free American money for being born an Indian isn't enough? Mexico already lost the southwest in the war in 1848. Sorry they aren't getting it back and it will be defended.

April 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dave

It wouldn't bother me to live in AZ with this law. I grew up in Moscow in the 70's. I'm used to a police state. Just get used to having no civil liberties – this is where you're headed. Better to have percieved secuity than liberty and justice. You're just learning what Hitler already knew.

(In answer to "What does an illegal immigrant look like? – Whatever the nice policeman wants him or her to look like.)

I'll give you a clue – don't make eye contact, never report a crime, file, safety hazard, etc., and ALWAYS carry bribe money. This is your new reality.

April 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cacacabeza

"Another question, have you ever been running late for work and forgot your wallet? So what if you do?"

What are you, a lamebrain? Oh wait you're Mexican.

April 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. david

#77 say it aint so joe; I have a better idea.Get that button on your shirt, go to mexico and display your solidarity with the hispanics and when a drug cartel member kills you, we will all sing kumbaya at your funeral service. Now thats a grand slam

April 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Former Illegal (I promise its ture!)

It is a good law this law targets illegal immigrant's not legal immigrants like me ... face it whether you like or not IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO BE an ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT from Cali to NY so get over it. AZ is just giving their police force the right to ask is you are illegal or not WHY BECAUSE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH BORDER PATROL. Are they going to racial profile YES/MAYBE as the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT racial profiles people from the Middle East and Muslims. People need to relax AZ is doing what the constitution allows it to do... you want to fight a REAL BATTLE fight health care where ALL that do not have insurance WILL pay a fine it does not matter if you are white, black, yellow or green. Get over it fight real issues that matter to all AMERICAN Citizens and stop being sheep! Now if you think that I am hating on illegal immigrants I am not since I was one (f8ck my entire family has been) and at a young age I knew it was wrong for us to be in this country undocumented
    I almost forgot if you think this country is such a bad country then move somewhere else! Go to Mexico and see how they treat illegals there, BTW ALL POLICE IN MEXICO, GERMANY AND A LOT OF EUROPEAN COUNTRIES CAN ALSO ASK YOU IF YOU ARE LEGAL OR ILLEGAL ARE YOU GOING TO BOYCOTT THEM TOO GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!

April 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nelson

Is this tantamount to an admission by the Mexican government that they are completely ineffectual when it comes to providing a safe, economically fortuitous environment for their citizens to be able to create a better life for themselves?

April 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chief -scalpthemsoon

My people the apache nation are the true Americans in this here land, the anglo dog has stolen our land and killed our braves, the comanche and the apache are the true americans in this land, all these thief europeans that invaded our land have some nerve, saying this is their land, its not your land you white anglo dogs, you have no rights to this lands, its not your land, the only illegals here are your descendants whordes.

April 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Buzz Lightyear

Move all the whites out of Arizona and then it will be easy to id the rest!

April 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bill

I am white so what's the issue with being asked to see my drivers lic or state I.D? doesn't bother me,
    we have a lot of greif going on in okinawa over the marine base, the japs like our money and security the marines provide just don't like marines, so why doesn't our goverment wise up and move the marines to the arizona border area. build a nice compound, and support the border patrol. what? we can't get the marines from arizona to a conflict?

beside if the marines are moved to arizona, the mexicans may feel they are about to be invaded.

I don't think we hate immigrants we hate "illegal imigrants" because they bleed our social services and give nothing back.

if all the illegals were innovent and snowy white well maybe but it seems a big group are criminals, can you say criminals.

April 27, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. nicholas

To all of you who think this is misguided, unfair, or racist, I'd advise you to check the what Mexico's constitution has to say about the same issue. Arizona is only doing to the illegals here what Mexico would do if you were caught there illegally. Dont believe anything the MSM tells you without properly vetting it first. I say bravo to Arizona and her governor for showing some spine on an issue that is becoming more and more dangerous if not addressed. Oh, and they'll save some money in the long run, too, without having to worry about healthcare, incarceration, and welfare for the illegals. BRAVO!

April 27, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100