April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Linda in Los Angeles

Legal? Illegal? or simply living in the wrong hood? I am a white Fe living in a predominately minority hood. I have been followed in my car, stopped in my car by police and also followed and stopped even walking my dog where I live. I have spent most of my life being reverse profiled. You can't escape human nature – or the law. Either enforce the law – fairly – or get it off the books. In-between is a waste and causes the unrest we see today.

April 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ana

I agree that you shouldnt be here illegally, my question is what would happen if i get stopped? I look Mexican, but Im American so if I'm stopped and say here is my Driver's Licence or ID, and they think they are false documents.... I'll be arrested????? And if so sue??? Mmmmm...... I'm sure that will be a BIG ISSUE

April 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. irisson2

I will be more than happy to prove my citzenship as many times as it takes if it will help identify and deport illegals. (Ilegales no son bien venidos. Adios y buena suerte en su pais.) Translation: Illegals are not welcome. Good bye and good luck in your country.

April 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cacacabeza

Duh, OK Bob, maybe I should carry my birth certificate around, because a driver's license is too difficult. Duh. OK.

April 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mikepc45

Does this mean Mexico is going to secure its border until the US adapts an immigration policy similar
    to Mexico's?

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Buzz Lightyear

Cacacabeza 438 Your intellect blinds me!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brett

Do any of you really know what you're talking about? How many of you actually live in Arizona? How many of you have lived here for most of your lives? I'm white, and I can see how ignorant this law is. I agree that legal means legal and illegal means "not legal." However, the fact that my State has passed a law that it says doesn't racially profile illegal immigrants is f#$%ing ridiculous. An idiot can see that it does. Plus, it's a waste of resources in our State. The police should be more concerned about violent/malevolent criminals than be granted authority to do what the federal authorities jobs are for. Maybe you didn't realize this, but there is a bigger picture involved here. The Governor has cut funding to education, law enforcement/public safety, and several other key programs. In addition to this, we have been asked to pass a 1 cent State tax increase because our useless Governor can't balance a budget. It's hard not to pass this vote since she plans on cutting more funding if we don't. Many people will lose their jobs, including law enforcement/public safety officials. Law enforcement drive around in SUV's and trucks. How does this benefit law enforcement? Shouldn't we be cutting wasteful spending, and worrying more about increasing benefical spending such as education since our State is currently 50th in the nation for it? If you're not from our State than you shouldn't have an opinion on the matter. None of this really affects you, except that you may not get your shitty tasting burritos in Michigan (believe me, I've been there and they don't compare to here!), or your lawns manicured by people who actually do a way better job than you lazy white people could ever do. I apologize for making this about race, but that's what it's about. Wake up people!

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. William Maneval

In order to operate a motor vehicle on the streets you need a "drivers license." Even if you are a licensed driver if a police officer has reasonable suspicion to stop you and you do not have your drivers license you WILL be fined. Why is this bill any different from this? If a police officer has reasonable suspicion to pull someone over and finds out that they do not have their green card or other form of naturalization paperwork on them, how is that any different? Hey maybe we should just start changing all of our laws in accordance with this to accomodate illegals and criminals.

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Paul

I am amazed at where the Republicans are taking Arizona and want to take the country. How quickly people forget that not so long ago people were asked to carry and show their identification papers by 'police' – also known as the SS.

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. NYC-Independent1664

ID ALL CITIZENS ESPECIALLY HISPANIC, AFRICAN, ASIAN, MIDDLE EASTERN AND EUROPEAN. ANYONE DISCOVERED TO BE AN ILLEGAL ALIEN SHOULD HAVE A STAR BURNED ON THEIR FOREHEAD AND MADE TO ATTEND REEDUCATION CAMPS. AFTER 5 YEARS, IF DECIDED THEY HAVE PASSED THE CAMPS, THEM CITIZENSHIP MAY BE GRANTED -AFTER A 10 YEAR WAITING PERIOD.

SEE – PROBLEM SOLVED IN ARIZONA.

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

The United States didn't bat an eye when it came to occupying Iraq. Maybe it's time they did the same with Mexico then work with the Mexican government to clean up their own house, to create a productive environment for them so they will stay the hell out of MY BACK YARD.

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Al Sharptongue

Are all you crybaby liberals going to pony up and pay for the free services they receive?

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joseline Mcnight

To make everyone happy whay not send all the racist people to Arizona and that way everyone is happy.

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LegalinWA

If you migrate or visit, just do what all Americans have to do to prepare – get your documents and permissions in order before arriving. If you are already here illegally, then you know it and you must visit your consulate to see if you can get your status. If not, you must leave. Pretty darn simple. You know if you are here illegally and if you brought your family or had one here, then you have no one to blame if you are separated. This should be enacted in ALL states immediately !!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kurt

OK, let me make sure I have this straight . . . US Travel Advisory for Mexico warns its citizens that they may be killed due to drug violence . . . Mexican Travel Advisory for US warns that the cops may ask you for your passport? Yes, yes. Fear us and our mighty paper cuts!

April 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100