April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. LegalinWA

Joseline: This is not racist, it is adhering to the laws. Illegal is illegal !!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Carl

So for all those people complaining about being "harassed", what is YOUR solution to the issue of illegal aliens? Americans are fed up with non-action by our federal government resulting in the rest of us being taken advantage of. If you are here LEGALLY, then you may occasionally experience the inconvenience of having to show identification. Tough! I have to show identification every time I get on a plane, check into a hotel, or visit a hospital. Get used to it. Unfortunately we can't put ankle-bracelet trackers on illegals, or even on people who visit legally, but then refuse to leave when their visa expires. This is a solution that will work, and if a few are inconvenienced for the sake of the other 300 Million of us, too f*****g bad.

April 27, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. smartone

stupid ignorants, I can not wait for a new law that requires all people that look stupid and ignorant to show documents.

let's see what do you think about that. Be afraid very afraid, because that maybe next.

And go and read the Constitution, instead of chasing your cousin Morons!

April 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. J Holmes

I guess i better get my ammo and guns ready..these white folks is crazy massa

April 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Danny

I understand the reason behind it but why do I have to be subject to being stopped for no reason other than being a latino? i am a US Citizen and have served our country in the military so why do i have all sorts of paperwork to prove myself?

April 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Al Sharptongue

Mexico warning it's citizens about coming here because of safety issues? HA! HA! HA! HA! Thanks for the laugh.

April 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AL

Alex,

We won't go to AZ anymore. I live in CA and there is no way that I am visiting that state any more. My co-workers and friends won't go to AZ neither. I always felt uncomfortable when I visited my family in AZ, white people always look at us as if we have killed someone.

April 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ray

Wow!!! Some of these comments amaze me!! I can't understand what the big deal is here! First of all, racial discrimination and profiling is illegal so this should not be the issue. The issue has to do with legalities and as a previous illegal immigrant myself, I have no problem with the new law. I am now finally a legal permanent resident and it was not a free ride by any means. However, before my legal status, I was illegally here for many years. Yes, it was definetely tough and hard being here illegally and I worked hard and all that BUT I realize that this still didn't excuse me from any immigration laws and I was breaking this law and I took responsibility for it. Luckily I was able to legally become a permanent resident BUT I still had to go back through the proper immigration channels to become legal. I fully support this Arizona law and I am very proud and happy to be in the United States and fully support the laws here. And my advice to any illegal immigrant is to please see a lawyer and seek legal ways to be in the US. It may not be an easy process but it sure does NOT pay to be illegally in the USA. Please respect our laws and this is coming from a previous illegal immigrant himself.

April 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Armadillo

The 4th Amendment of the US Constitution:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Where are all the Teapartiers who are so worried about "their" constitution? What a bunch of hypocrites.

Oh, I forgot, a dark-skinned look is enough to raise suspicion.

April 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Charlotte

I keep reading what if's ie: what if a drivers license isn't sufficient what if I get stopped 35 times in a week. Have any of you read the bill? A law enforcement officer has to have probable cause to stop you, like speeding, broken taillights, tresspassing and then they can ask if they suspect you are here illegally. Since in the state of Arizona you have to show proof of residency as a requirement to acquire a driver's license this will be sufficient in the eyes of the law. I happen to live in Southwest Phoenix and know that we are under fire from the gangs. A man was shot dead in my neighbors yard at a party by a person who was here illegally, my neighbors husband was abducted from a walmart parking lot and found 2 days later in the desert shot 3 times, when they caught the shooter he turned out to be illegal and it was a case of mistaken identity??? My children couldn't get into early childhood development because of the illegal children filling those spots. Something here has to change, I'm not for amnesty but a program to get people to register and issue a green card to be renewed every 2 years would work. If they choose to apply for citizenship then get in line with everyone else.
    As for the Nazi remarks, I personally take offense to that. My father still carries his star with him and his papers from Holland that show him as a Jew. My family was killed there for being jewish and gassed in a chamber or starved or beaten to death. Very different than asking someone to go home because they are here illegally. My father carries his papers everyday and always has. I carry mine – in the form of my drivers license and social security card.
    Get your facts straight before posting or protesting or gossiping to your neighbors. Speak with som intelligence and from your head and not your heart blindly.

April 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Buzz Lightyear

Al Sharptongue
    you are such a wise man.

April 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jorge Schwartz

Si si officer, me no have papers, me left them in other car, si si!

April 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Michael

Rogelio said: "For instance, when I travel, I normally leave my passport in the hotel, because I dont want to risk it getting stolen and then loose a week getting a new one because I can not go back home. "

----------

I just got back from a couple months in the UK, where there is a huge immigration issue... lots of EU people illegally coming into their country...

I also used to leave my passport in the hotel for "safe keeping"... until the cab we were in got pulled over for not having the proper license registry on their cab... the cop asked us for ID, and all I had was my US Colorado Drivers license... he told me it is a UK law that all foreign citizens maintain a current valid passport AND CARRY IT ON THEIR PERSON AT ALL TIMES! He didn't arrest me, but I had to get my passport and bring it to their "station" the following morning..

He took down my hotel information, my name, and home address in the states, also my mobile number.

For those who are crying racism because a police officer might ask if someone is a legal immigrant, what if the police officer was hispanic, looks in a car and there is a person who doesn't speak ANY english?! Would it still be racist if the LEGAL IMMIGRANT hispanic police officer asked the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT hispanic for ID?! hmmm.. .didn't think of that one did you?

Everyone imagines cops in the far south to be "white"... that is a racist assumption in itself... I would say, from experience, that over 1/3 of the law enforcement in TX, AZ, NV, and CA are hispanic...

April 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. IaCheNeHe

This truly is sickening and the "haters" on this blog are so ignorant and disrespectful of humanity. You come to this land, rape, kill and relocate the natives and then have the audacity to believe you are the rightful owners of the Americas. I'm sad to call myself an american. What has happened to your country??? Why are you people so mean to each other?

April 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. George

This is not a racist thing as some on here have stated. I laugh at the signs some people have been holding in protests like, "No Human is Illegal." This bill nor the current federal laws state that any human or race as being illegal. You need to come here legally. Period! If you are illegally here, then you have broken our laws and thus you are a criminal. It is not our place to bring in everyone from the world, or in this case primarily Mexico, so that they can have a better life at our taxpayers expense. As far as those on here that state the Arizona economy will suffer from the lack of illegal's dollars, we that would be made up exponetially by the fact that they will not be spending tax payers dollars to pay for their emergency room visits for the sniffles or worse issues. We won't have our jails full of cartel/gang members, and our schools and social services would not be running in the red so much. Many here have made good points, if we go to another country then we have passports. Why can't illegals follow the law. For those that state that they were born here and don't have papers, WRONG, you have a birth certificate, SS card (not falsified), and you have other documentation. As for one that said that we needed to amend the law to include European looking illegals, well the law is for illegal aliens, it does not state Mexicans only, but Mexicans and other latin America countries are the biggest violators mainly due to their countries being so piss poor and how close they are to us. If you want all of these illegals here then you pay for it and let me keep my tax dollars or send it to what I want to support. My uncle has gone back to college and 4 of his classmates are not from this country and they don't pay a red cent for their education, but he has to pay through the nose and can't get help even though his grades are very good. Illegal aliens are a part of what is bleeding our country dry of money and resources. More money is going out than is coming in. Oh by the way my wife is a LEGAL RESIDENT and we have the bills to prove it.

April 27, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100