April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. bill

I don't ever remember being welcomed in mexico as a young G.I. what i do remember is as i waljked across the international bridge is having my wallet lifted by the federales so many times that when i got to the first block off the bridge .i didn;t have enough money to drink or shop with. they didn't want to see no stinkin I.D they wanted to help themselves to your cash, in the 70's the federales were theives and i don't think much has changed.

I had a black friend who they just harrassed up the wazoo because he was black, just theives and racist, a good representation of the population............

April 27, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Buzz Lightyear

Mormons, Polish, Icelanders

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jo

@Cris – My family was never here illegally. Both sides registered at Ellis Island, as did millions of immigrants. Your premise is seriously flawed.

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Al-

I really don’t see what the big deal is, if you are here legally, what do you have to worry about? I would show my ID whenever I am asked, Mexico with all their drug kidnapping and murders, issuing a travel alert, now that’s funny….

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. James

Hey Thomas (post #354) when's the next chapter of your book coming out?

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Love

Dear Racist American:
    I'm black, but a lighter black..i guess brown. Mexican Americans speak Spanish to me first and I have to say sorry son Mexican talk here...So will i get profiled in Az when I come for vacation this year. Just asking...and then will the officer believe me...I guess I could go ghetto accent on him and all will be fine.....LOL

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GA

The 4th Amendment is for the citizens of the US. Not criminals. Illegal aliens are criminals and not citizens of the US, they should not have the same rights as us. That is why they keep coming.

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Al Sharptongue

If I get pulled over for speeding today, I'll be asked for my drivers license, which is a document that only citizens or legal immigrants can obtain. I will freely offer the license to the policeman who will probably write me a ticket, which I know I deserve. What I won't do is start smearing refried beans on his car in the shape of a swastika, or start screaming about unconstitutionality,

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hurakan11:11

I am glad this bill went through.

It will definitely wake up the Giant (THE LATINO COMMUNITY).

The signs are already here. Look at all the bill supporters (DYING BABY BOOMERS)... Look at the opponents (YOUNG LATINO STUDENTS).

Whites are so selfish and irrational. They were the ones that hired THESE illegals.... They are the ones that restricted free travel between the countries locking the "illegals" withing the country, thus allowing the Latino community to grow.

THey are the same people that BENEFIT from the hard labor of these people and when the times get rough... they vilify the same people that have served them for a long time.

BUT TIMES are changing... and they are now dying fish caring more for their DAMN pets than for other human beings.

Latinos will wake up and we will continue breeding human beings.

It is time to end the WHITE oligarchy in our Latino countries (THE MOST CORRUPT PEOPLE in Latin America).. It is time to take change our destiny in the US and rise up against the oppressive class (WHITES)

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Gabs

People need to start realizing that the problem is not them asking for some sort of identification, is how officials are going to go about it. The reason why it is such a big deal is because everyone that "potentially looks" like an illegal immigrant (aka isn't white) could potentially be treated disrespectfully.

I'm Mexican and I've never lived in the US but have had to travel through it many times to go to other destinations (Asia, Europe, etc). Although I have all my papers in order and I wasn't even STAYING in the US, customs officials would always treat me and my family as if we were 'trying to illegally stay in the US', sending us to a separate room to get inspected, asking us for bank statements, and being EXTREMELY rude to us.

I understand that the US has a HUGE problem with illegal immigrants, but they are not all Mexican, and neither are they all 'dark skinned/black'. To make that kind of statement is racist and ignorant. This new rule could be the solution to the problem, but knowing how the US likes to base everything on ethnicity and skin color I doubt they will implement it correctly.

Mexico has every right to tell its citizens to be careful about going to Arizona. After all, if white people were pretty much being legally persecuted in Mexico I am 100% sure that the US would send a warning a thousand times more dramatic than the one the Mexican government sent out.

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bill

YES ............PLEASE. All you mexicans stay the hell home. Worthless POS illegals

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. brian

I love the tax argument from the Xenophobes. Hey, guess what, a dishwasher making $8/hr is not going to pay any federal income tax anyway. He/She does however pay state sales tax. So leave that argument out, because it just does not hold water. I bet if they rounded up all the American Citizen meth-heads living in their Mesa trailer parks they might be able to restock the landscape companies and restaurants that will suddenly need employees. Have any of you people actually washed dishes or cut grass for a living? Not exactly what I would call lazy. What's next a stamp on our arms or a Star of David on our right breast? Arizona, "Papers please..........." Gee, where have I heard that before......

April 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Michael...

Is Arizona becoming Germany of early 1940????????
    or Russia in 1918???????
    please?????????

April 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mike

People saying that "If you come here legally then you have nothing to worry about" are completely missing the point. This law allows police to harass anyone based on anything. How can you look at someone and know if they're illegal? This law is basically saying that if you're white, you'll have no problems. If not, then prepare for the worst. It's an embarrassment.

April 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. WhatHappenedToUSA

I am against illegal immigration. I am disgusted reading most of the comments supporting/praising this racist law in AZ. It is beyond comprehension how racist/ignorant some of the people are.

April 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100