April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Alex

Their produce will more likely rut in the ground because their legal citizens are too good to pick it.

April 27, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AshamedinVA

How could you tell if one is a legal resident or an illegal resident of Mexican ethnicity? You would have to have them pull out their papers like in Weimar Germany! And if the cop has a bad day and you're not pulling out your papers fast enough....then too bad because when you piss him off he'll crack that baton over your head. This law that was past is targeted racism and I am ashamed that a state in my country has past such an outrageous law. Who next? Should we profile, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, North Africans at our airports? Have we convinced ourselves of probable cause in our small minds? Then what about blue-eyed jihadist? Should we start profiling people of northern european descent....of course not because then it would be plain to see that it's reverse racism. It has just begun....what the fascists tried to do to us....we are beginning to do to ourselves.

April 27, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jaja

Earth to People:

They ask me for my driver's license in the drug store or grocery store to buy cold medication or anything with alcohol. I am well over 50 years old. Does that mean they are profiling me when they swipe my driver's license? Get over it poeple, and quit expecting a free ride in life. If you are here legally then you have nothing to be concerned about. We now live in the age of information, and you can run, but you cannot hide. Ask anybody what a DNA test is, and I guarantee they will know. No difference.

4. Michael

Foreigners are asked to carry legal documents such as passport with proper visa, Green card to prove their legal stay in the US. What about the US citizens? Are we going to carry our birth certificate or passport all the time to prove our citizenship if we are asked by the police? I don't think driver's license is a proper document to prove you are a US citizen. Anyone thought about this? This is quite a burden to the US citizens too.

5. Rob Rochester

Whats wrong with comming to this country the LEGAL way? Illegals must all leave and be treated like criminals after all they are ILLEGAL!!

6. Jo

@Jaz – Please learn the difference between legal and indigionous. Google it.

7. dave

DM you do not pay attention - THE PROBLEM IS STOPPING LEGAL RESIDENTS AND US CITIZENS JUST BECASUE THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE FORM mEXICO

this law REQUIRES police to harrass people WHO LOOK ILLEGAL those people are going to turn out to be legal

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A LEGAL CITIZEN WHO LOOKS MEXICAN GETS STOPPED AND HAS NO ID FOR HIS 2 YEAR OLD BABY DO THE COPS ARREST THE BABY

8. Tito Fuentes

I say put a fluorescent orange I skin dye on the forehead of illegals and a L on the legals then they would only be stopped once!

9. Manny

I am here illegally. Takes too long for legal process...fix it. For now, I work here and take my dollars home to Mexico. I use your medical when I need it, take your food stamps, and I laugh at all you fools who pay your taxes, wear your nice clothes and live in the nice houses. I cut your lawns and you pay me cash. I paint your fences and do repair work for you. You always pay me in cash. So how do I pay taxes? You are all idiots. You make it all so easy for me and my friends to live and work here. I do not live in Arizona, so I have no fears for now. And there are plenty more who will join me from Arizona when this becomes law. I laugh at all of you.

10. USN Retired

Will they crack down on illegal Canadiens and Europeans?

11. Interested

I am sure that it was already mentioned, but what a great political play by the gov of AZ. Pass the law that won't go into effect for a few months. Get everyone in an uproar, and MAKE NoBama and his cronies address this issue! NO ONE at the federal level has done a thing about this. Now that you know what's coming, and you're so against the bill, let's so your plan to fix it NoBammy!

12. Brady

Probable cause= of Mexican descent. What is so hard to understand about that?

13. max

If Mexico's gov't wasn't a corrupt sham then Mexico's people wouldn't be running over/under the US border. It's about time a border state like Arizona stood up to the problem of illegals who the rest of Americans are supporting with our tax dollars. Try entering Mexico illegally–you'll find yourself in a jail, or worse. My brother's car broke down in Rosarito and he found himself in jail for a week. No charges against him, but it cost my parents $1,000 to get his release and the police kept the car. These people are crooks and liars. Come to the US legally, or stay out! No more free education, welfare, and medical. And if your preggo wife slips through the border and has a kid, that kid should not be considered an American!

14. Mr Phil

And all this from a state that just gave preliminary approval to a bill (SB-1024) forcing presidential candidates to have their proof of citizenship certified by the state's Secretary of State. In other words, these idiots still believe what the useless "birthers" are telling them.

15. MrMaprentice

Everyone who is saying this is the right thing to do has obviously never had to fear being pulled over by police because you "fit the description". I am a citizen, born and raised in America, and as far as I know my ancestors back to my great-grand parents were born and raised in America, so I don't really have a need to carry my "papers". However, if a policeman in Arizona, just for snitz and giggles, decided I look "suspicious" and I don't have my "papers", I can get locked up for up to six months. WHAT THE.......???? How is that even REMOTELY the right thing to do?

April 27, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100