April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. james

what in the hell are mexican citizens doing in Arizona anyway?

April 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gator

Funny thing when ever you mention the words "illegal immigration" that the Mexican populations gets all in an uproar. This is all about people breaking our laws and nothing to do about what your nationality is.

April 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Concerned

What does an "illegal" person look like? I'm as legal as it gets but would prefer not to go through the hassle and harassment just because a police officer profiles me. If I'm cited for a traffic violation, breaking the law, or trying to enter a bar or airport then please ID me all you want...but don't mess with me for no other reason than because I look like an illegal.

April 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mister Zippy

This just in... Mister Zippy of California has just issued his own travel advisory to Mexicans living or working in Arizona illegally: '"STAY OUT OF CALIFORNIA.."

April 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

The funny thing about this issue is that the "new" Arizona law is almost exactly the same as the federal law. Part of the federal law states that "A green card is issued to all permanent residents as proof that they are authorized to live and work in the United States. If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid green card in your possession at all times". This law has been in effect at the federal level for YEARS and it has never been enforced. I came to this country more than 20 years ago and carried my papers with me at all times until the day I became a citizen because that is what I was told to do when I was granted my residency. I don't understand why Washigton is on an uproar about this. The president calls this law "misguided", what is misguided is the fact that the federal government ignores our laws unless it's convenient for them to do otherwise. Maybe they haven't noticed all the problems we have? What we are seeing today in our country is decades of Democrat and Republican failed policies. People are sick and tired of this circus! We will not see real change until two things go away in Washington: Democrats and Republicans. As far as Mexico goes, we just need to trow this little saying their way "Among individuals as among nations, respect for someone else's rights is peace–Benito Juarez" The US has the right to prevent anyone from entering the country illigally and all countries have the obligation to respect this right.

April 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. pamela

Why doesn't the Mexican government tell its citizen to stop going to other countries and breaking the law. In Meixco their government shoot people who enter their country illegal. We have a right to protect our borders as well. We welcome over a million new comers every year. If you are illegally here, go back to your own country and apply like everyone else The Mexican government should have never allowed this to happen and is just as guilty as the U.S. governemnt. Time to put an end to this, and enforce our laws.

April 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ilene woodd

i have lived in aizona for 5 years and it is the most racist ,hate filled ,mean spirited state i have ever lived in and that includes hawaii, washington, california, and cabo san lucas, baja, california.

April 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

I have been a legal immigrant in the US for over a decade now... and at this time I'd refuse any travel to Arizona, simply because my legal paperwork in the US is not a card that I can carry in my wallet... it consists of my foreign passport, and a series of letter sized documents that I will NOT carry with me at all times. In addition, it would be extremely aggravating trying to explain to some regular cop that went for 6 months to a police academy and was never trained in immigration regulations what my legal status is. This is why I think this law makes no sense.

April 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

People who are saying "whats the big deal I carry my DL or ID today". Your DL or ID does not prove that you are here legally. Lot of undocumented/illegal immigrants have DL and IDs. Proving that you are legal will require you to show your Passport, Birth Certificate, or Green Card. I have a feeling that caucasian people do not care about this because they will never be asked to proof their legallity. I am concerned about the people like me a minority. Even though I am a citizen, one day I might end up being asked by a policeman to prove it. I hope I carry by Birth Certificate at that time.

April 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. don pepe

what will they think up next............some sort of patch that ALL people of dubious looks must wear ....................GEE...........didn't they do that somewahre in a place called GERMANY............

April 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Al Sharptongue

Yes, I hope they crack down on illegal Candians and Europeans, USN Retarded #635. They're such a HUGE problem in this country.

April 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jase

The term "illegal immigration" is incorrect. The word is invasion, and it's gone on long enough. Adios, bandidos!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. george bragg

Here's what's wrong with the law: It places the responsibility on the cops to determine when to ask someone about their status. Given the jobs cops do, this is another area where abuse can be overwhelming, as in the drug trade. Just look at what cops in Arizona have done about drugs. The abuses, wrongful deaths, lawsuits and corrupt cops have allowed the drug trade to flourish, it has not cut down the demand. This immigration law, while it may make some folks feel good about getting tough on illegals, will do nothing to reduce the flow of illegals, it will only make the situation more violent. You just watch, and I'm here to say I told you so. America is such a draw that people will risk anything to come here, and putting the cops in charge won't stop that. We need tough, effective and intelligent immigration laws that take into account the reality on the ground. People are her illegally, that should not be. The question is how do we secure our borders and handle those illegals that are here already? While I don't favor a blanket amnesty, I think some form of obtaining legal status for those already here needs to be undertaken. Let's just keep the cops out of it, because they will only incite blanket violence. Thus, the Chiefs of Police have come out against this law, while the union and rank and file officers are raring to go, because the cop on the beat thinks of job security and power. Both a corrupting influence on community policing, which the cops are afraid of because they don't live in the communities they are poliicing, for the most part.
    '

April 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Stephen

1. Yes, they work the crappy field jobs and keep produce cheap, but they also go to our hospitals and do not pay their bills... Inflating hospital costs, and bankrupting them.

2. Police are not allowed to stop someone because of race, if you do not have a drivers license then you will be asked to show proof of residence. NO WHERE does it state this is directed towards MEXICANS at all.

3. The federal government would not do their job so we now have to do it for them, I for one would be very happy to see my area cleared of illegal immigrants from Mexico.

4. How is this any different than the Border Patrol asking if you are a U.S. citizen? That happens everyday at road blocks all over the place.

5 And finally to those that don't want to come here because of this law, good stay away you liberal hippy scum!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Maurice

There was a world context to determine the world's most currup country. It is rumored that Mexico gave a bribe not to get first place.

Racial profiling? Please. We are not being overrun by Scandinavians or Australians. We are being overrun by Aztecs, Mayas and Incas. What else would a reasonable person do?

Read the immigration law, it clearly orders resident alliens to carry their green cards at all times. That is a federal law,.

Perhaps the government of Mexico does not understand the meaning of the word: "illegal" immigration?

April 27, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100