April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. jeff jackson, alabama

Some of these letters are ridiculous about
    profiling Mexicans. When was the last time
    you saw a white illegal from Mexico ?????

April 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. More is on the way

When you travel to a foreign country legally you have to have your passport with you at all times in case your stopped. If a US citizen tried to "hop the fence" into Canada they would be arrested. As a matter of fact I can't name any country you could get away with sneaking across the border without getting arrested or shot at. I don't understand anyone who thinks its acceptible. Try to get into Mexico from their Southern border and your going to jail. If your ok with this then don't be mad when I break into your house, sit down on your recliner and make myself a sandwich....I'm just making myself comfortable in your home like the Mexicans are doing in mine.

April 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Thomas

Kim, Ian and several others here seem to be ignorant of the laws in this country. I believe all states have a similar law to what we have in Texas though they may vary, in which you can be arrested for failure to identify when a police officer asks you for your identification and you don't have it on you. That ID proves who you are. It says you're here legally because you can't get a drivers license or a Social Security card in this country if you are illegal. You not supposed to anyway. These people who think they get to do what they want in this country are shamefully ignorant and should invest in the time to learn the laws of the land. No wonder so many people act like this is the end of civilization. Its a great law and will hopefully lead to a federal law being enforced as it should be.

April 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Al Sharptongue

#635 Your argument is weak, because you have to be legal to get a legitimate license/ID card. If an undocumented alien has a driver's license or ID card, they came by it illegally, which also a crime.

April 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Martin

Just wait until California, Texas, and New Mexico all do the same thing.

Travel advisory because if you're an illegal immigrant they will catch you! Great!

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. analyzeit50

I travel all over the world on business. I have to show my ID and credentials everywhere I go. I have to carry a state drivers license and I have to show it whenever I am asked for it. It has never bothered me to show my ID and it wouldn't bother me to carry a form of ID that proved my citizenship. Why should it bother anyone else? This has nothing to do with racial profiling or profiling in general. It's about helping to make out country more secure. Anyone against that concept should have their heads examined.

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AmericanME

I guess there aren't any immigrants from Europe in AZ??

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nick DeLuca

illegal mexicans are ruining what america is when my great grandparents came over from italy they worked hard payed taxes and became citizens why it is so hard for illegals to do the same instead of screwing all us hardworking americans who pay taxes. i dont care if you wana come to our country stay and work but do it the right way pay taxes apply for citizenship and become a true american so go arizona you rock you have balls i hope to see other states like mine Nebraska follow in your steps! sad part is they will be back in the country before the paywork to deport them gets filled out!

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LegalCitizen

I am a US citizen living in Texas. To fly to Arizona all I need is a driver's license at the airport. God forbid, I get in some trouble like an accident where the police has a reason to question my citizenship. How will I prove that I am a citizen? Do I need to carry my passport / birth cirtificate all the time when I am in Arizona?

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paco Rodriguez

So american citizens now need to carry and provide proof to cops that they are here legally??? No thanks.
    _________

if carrying your driver's license is too much of a chore you can always just off yourself.

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TIna

I am white just to let everyone know. How would all of you white people like to be held to the same standards? this law is complete and total B.S. No one should have to be subjected to this just because of the color of their skin. They can target any latino/latina and that includes those who were born here. How would you like to be a white person interrogated for whether or not you belong here? Why don't we just resurrect Hitler and we can replay that scene where white people were sent to the gas chamber because they didn't have their "papers" in order. Get some brains people. This is bigger than border control. It is WRONG.

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ron OverlandPark Kansas

It's about time someone stood up and took control of teh immigration problem in the US. This is not aimed at one culture but all who come to the US illegally.

Why should any illigal have free education, welfare, health care, and pay no taxes when we have an unemplyment rate that is skyrocketing by the day.

Please don't tell me they are the only ones who will work the jobs they do. This summer high schoolers face a 38% unemploymnet rate because thy cannot find jobs.

if illigals want to be parto of the US then do it the right way.

No one in the goverment from Obama down wants to take this on. Chickens as they are.

I applaud the Governor of Arizona and hope other states follow suit.

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. larry

The Jews in Nazi Germany had to always carry their papers. Why not the Mexicans in Nazi Arizona?

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

Looks like the Fed's say it is already illegal to be here illegally. Not so much a race issue, as it is an enforcement issue of laws enacted by the federal government. How about making it a human rights issue and the danger imposed on people trying to make it to the United States that are packed in trucks or hidden in the dashboards of cars? Maybe this law could help curve some of that!

April 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cris

Bill you are really ignorant and narrow-minded!!!

April 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100