April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. David

If your here saying it is against the law to arrest and deport non legal residents you know nothing about law or the constitution. It is not against the peoples civil liberies to be asked if they are in this country lealy.
    It is not our fault that stats show that mexicans are the biggest illegal immigrants in the US.
    What makes me sick abbout this articale is you got eh Fed sitting there ssaying we dont have time to help you controll illegal immigration cause our healthcare issues and goldman sachs are more importanat..Oh and btw if you take your state rights ansd apply laws to help yourselves we will call you crazy and extreme.
    How exactly do you keep illegals out of your country? You enforce yuour laws activly deport and make it so they cant earn a living.
    The Fed isnt willing to do that. You should applaud a state that takes care of its own.

April 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jason

Travel Advisory? Like there is a huge amount of Mexican tourists in Arizona. I suspect that if there were NO Mexican tourists anywhere in the country the loss of those tourist dollars would not be noticed. I say, the US should close it's borders with Mexico for a year while we clear out all of the illegals. Build a huge wall and good riddance with them. Then we finger print, eye scan and electronically monitor all Mexicans coming into the US. When they run out of money, send them packing.

April 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sneaky Pete

Interesting,

I carry my citizenship paperwork with me when ever I am in another country. So why not Mexicans? Are they special somehow? If I travel north to Canada, and do something stupid like try to live there and work there without being a citizen, I would expect the authorities to find me, stop me, and deport me. I am doing something illegal, thats what happens when you do something illegal. I drive a car, when I do something in my car that gets me noticed by law enforcement, they pull me over and ask that I prove I own the car and am able to drive it within the rules and regulations of the law by asking me for three simple pieces of information; license, registration, and proof of insurance. Why should it be any different when your citizenship comes into question?

April 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Flint Pig

Wonder If they will Profile whites also ...but i doubt it ... just another way for a mexican to be targeted.

Response: I have never seen a blonde- haired blue-eyed Mexican.

April 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. CATom

Anyone who is in Arizona legally will have no problem. I would have no problem showing my id to police officers but then again I am not a lowlife thug criminal piece of garbage in the country illegally. These Mexicans have to be the most demanding migrants to ever walk the face of the earth.

April 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Al Sharptongue

@#688, More is on the Way: I agree! In fact, why don't all the crybaby liberals open up their homes, lives and paycheck to the illegals? Wait, that would actually involve more than just lip service.

April 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bill

Maybe gas chambers for Pedro...new fuel as they will burn forever..probably not

April 27, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nick DeLuca

BUILD A WALL!

April 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brad

You can't possibly be calling this racial profiling. It's Mexico and the illegal Mexicans. We do the same thing when people from other countries come here to tour, visit, or start a new life. We check to see if they have proper documents! We are only doing this because there is too many illegals not abiding by the law to become legal citizens and do a VERY simple thing that the U.S. ask for. We abide by the law visiting other countries by showing them paperwork. This isn't just about the illegals coming here. It's also about catching some of these illegals who have no intentions to become legal citizens and are probably helping the cartels run the drugs into the U.S. or doing something that isn't contributing to our society. Why should we stand by and allow this to happen when the rest of us continue to contribute day in and day out. Look at the Welfare systems and people abusing the welfare and using money to buy drugs or something else. We've gone a long ways to clamp down on the use of Welfare money. I applaud Arizona for doing this. Just remember, we are only being a little more aggressive on the illegals from Mexico because most of them end up having bad intentions against our society and we are simply bringing back a little bit of the Wild West days and cleaning up the streets by asking for proof of being a legal citizen. We aren't gunning anyone down. We aren't doing bad things other countries might do. We are putting a stop to those who break the law. Shame on Mexico for putting up an advisory. I would have thought they should spend more time on cleaning up this violent drug war and their poor people than spending time on scrutinizing Arizona's new law.

April 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anna

Think about the immigrants who came here, honor-bound to obey the law, and went through the required process to become legal. NO ONE here legally should have to worry about losing their job or an opportunity to get one to ANYONE who is here illegally.

April 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rob

I am a Filipino immigrant. Stop and verify me and I won't mind.

I hope you wont mind either.

April 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Erin

You all are missing the point-what about all the Latinos that ARE here legally and ARE citizens? They will be harrassed endlessly. It isn't fair and the politicians should find a better way. Period.

April 27, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Carry

I cannot be seen at my doctor's office if I do not provide a picture id with current address information. I have been treated by this doctor for over fifteen years. My heritage is Apache/French. My "French" family connection has been in the USA since the 1600s. This new rule is in place because of all the identity theft that is mainly being commited by people in this country illegaly. If I have to show id to go to my doctor, others can show id to prove they are in this country legally.

April 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Fred

Some of you are asking what if they forget and leave their documentation at home. Well I got an answer for that. If I forget my drivers license and leave it at home, I can recite my drivers license number from memory to the cops. They can run that number and presto, up comes the status of my drivers license on their laptop.

I can do the same thing with my social security number and it won't come up as someone who is 1)deceased or 2)a drug addict in another state who sold their ss# for drugs.

The name on the SS will also match my drivers license AND I will know the mailing address on record for the drivers license. I can probably even tell the office what restrictions, issue/expiration dates and class the license is...since it is actually MY license.

It's not too hard to figure out who's got proper documentation and who is full of crap.

April 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. GLP

Being of Native Decent can any of you prove that you are not here illegally I thing not GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY

April 27, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100