April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Glen

LMFAO ahahahahahaahahaah

Good stay the hell out thats the point! Got to laugh at a president of a country where his own people flee to another country for a better life. Risking death and or imprisonment to escape Mexico, ahahahahahahaha

April 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. karina

I hope Arizona has enough money to pay for all the law suits...idiots.

April 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. david

PS and this travel ban – it seems like retaliation for our spring breakers not traveling over there after the State dept. warnings

April 27, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. James

The Federal government has neglected this for years.....glad to see the states are beginning to flex their own legal muscle on this. Feds would just rather create one big welfare state instead of enforcing our laws! You go Arizona!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marie M

Maybe the Mexican government can work on keeping their citizens in their own country. No one wants to stay there because it such a cruddy place to live.

April 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Roger

The obvious problem is that it is absurdly reminiscent of a fascist state.
    Beyond that it is unconstitutional to require everyone who looks a certain way to carry a legal burden the rest of us do not carry.
    Its also just plain hypocritical for republicans to harp and harp about a free america and a free economy and then not go after the actual free market forces that are bringing illegal immigrants to this country – the jobs. Cut down on employers hiring illegal immigrants and you cut down on illegal immigrants. People crossing borders for jobs IS what a true free market is you absurdly ignorant "conservatives." You made your bed...

April 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Linda K Senes

I used to care about this country, I used to love the state of Arizona. As a 60 year old white female with 5 children and 11 grandchildren I can honestly say that this country has done nothing for me except keep me stuck financially, emotionally, and spiritually my entire life. If you are not white, male, and affluent in this country you are nothing. This has changed very little in my lifetime. If I could afford an acre of land with a small cement house I would be in Mexico tomorrow.

April 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael

An American citizen stopped must provide proof of ID when asked. Why is it a big deal that someone provide proof of citizenship or legal status in this country? If I were in Mexico and they were checking legal status of visitors I would expect to be stopped and asked as I have red hair and very white skin and do not speak Spanish. My grandparents taught me the traditions of the country's they were from but always called themselves Americans. They learned English and followed the laws of the new country they claimed as their own. Why is it so difficult to ask others to follow those examples of those before us. After all are they not the ones that set up the conditions for everyone south of the boarder wanting to cross? Why should those before us that created, explored and developed this land have to pay such a heavy price for those seeking a better life. I fault no one for seeking a better life, but be ready to except this isnt your country of origin.

April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kevin, Virginia

you would have to be stupid to assume this will not impact legal citizens as well as people visiting the state,

or maybe its just ignorance, either way you are closing your eyes to the obvious abuse this could cause.

April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Darrel Sanchez

I think that there is a lot of finger pointing by the Mexican government. If they had any control at all then we would had stayed there instead of coming to the USA. Also if your not illegal then don't worry. We who went through the process correctly and got our citizenship or green card have nothing to worry about. Illegal aliens are a problem and being PC to a fault is not a good thing. I commend AZ to finally doing something about it. Mexico is in an uproar because there is so many of the illegals are from there hint hint.

April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. cf

Yes, but the ones who are there legally will be subject to CONSTANT harrassment every time a cop sees them. I can't imagine having to go through that every single time I leave my house.

This law will mostly punish the legal immigrants and anyone who appears to have Mexican heritage – even natural born American hispanics. It will be a police state. Has anyone thought of that?

It's easy to say "If you're legal you have nothing to worry about", but how would you feel if suddenly you were stopped at every street corner, every grocery store, every trip to the gas station – everytime you were seen by a police officer and questioned and grilled constantly every day while you were just trying to live your life.

April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Proud to be an Arizonan

Then wear your ID around your neck if you're that afraid.

June 6, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. JOhn Faison

Fourth Amendment
    Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mark

Yes, this may be an inconvenience to legal immigrants, similar to the inconvenience of a sobriety check for drivers who are not DWI. It is no different than when I travel to a foreign conuntry and have to have my passport and/or visa on me that says I'm granted permission to be there.

April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kimba

when I was in other countries, I was expected to have proper documentation on my person and I had no problem with it- I was in someone else's "house". So, what's the big deal with some semblance of reciprocity when foreigners are in "my house"?

April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. NuketheWhales

Lets see.. police in AZ can now check on the immigration status of thoise they come in contact with – how is that racist?
    The whiny leftists are just crying about nothing, as usual.
    If you arent an illegal alien the your immigration status will be okay.
    If you are an illegal, b-bye!

April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100