April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Al Sharptongue

EXCELLENT IDEA!

April 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. javier

I do not understand why so many say that illegals MUST be treated like criminals. These are people coming over here to make a better life for themselves just all of your ancestors did. The bigger point is the fact that this IS racial discrimination, because if while I am visiting my family in Arizona (I am a LEGAL son of legal mexican immigrants) I ever get ordered to show my paperwork by a office I will definitely not show the ppwk because there is no reason why I should have to. All of you who are so against illegals being here should think about what you are going to do when illegals are gone and all your food and services double in price, because don't kid yourselves, illegals ARE the new slaves of this country.

April 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tij

Do you really think that police thinks MEXICANS are that important that the police will start raiding a CINCO DE MAYO celebration and start asking everyone for proof of legal residency in the USA. The police are NOT that stupid. They do not have the time and money to waste on brown people celebrating some party. The police will be going for the worthy cases.

April 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Burbank

I can't believe all this whining going on because Americans are fed up and finally sending a tough message that it's not OK to come here illegally. These illegals have been depending on the bubble wrapping from the left wing-nuts that is now being stripped away. Yet any American that goes to Mexico has to watch out for being "profiled" and robbed by the Federales! I personally know people that has happened to, just because they were American and whilte and wanted to enjoy Mexico for a weekend. Now we have to worry about asking illegals for I.D. and perhaps a legal person or two acting suspiciously gets asked as well? Sorry, but the abuse of our system that has gone on for so long has made this necessary! Boo hoo hoo! Where's my violin??

April 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Veronica A

Dear Flint Pig, Not only is my family Blonde haired, GREEN eyed, my ancestors in Mexico are decendants of Germans that colonized an area of Mexico just as they did here in the United States. So my MEXICAN relatives are most likely blonder and more blue eyed than you are. Thank you for letting everyone know how uneducated you are. Most people forget that as in the United States, the old world sent explorers to the "New World" to colonize. So there are decendants in MEXICO that are from France, Spain and Germany, and even Italy.

April 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Colt Hunter

All the protests seems to have a racial profile (largely Hispanic). I would think they good people would be more interested in the future good of the nation as a whole, not just focused on illegal aliens in their own "community". I'm Welsh-American. If we had a sudden influx of illegal Welsh into the country, I would be glad to be profiled and have to carry my papers in order to help catch the culprits that "look like me". For the greater good of the country as a whole. The law is a terror only to the lawless. Are we just going to give the country away to all the trespassers? Let all come who desire, but let them come through legal means, by all means.

April 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. A Bit PO'd

Angry for 'the way they go about doing it' .... give me a break! Why do police, sherrifs, etc have sobriety check-points? Big clue: to catch and stop ILLEGAL activity! If you drive sober, guess what? you still may have your ID checked, but have nothing to worry about by having ID or being sober...and if you 'forget' your license, they could still trace you in the DMV system by the auto's VIN#, etc. Alas: ILLEGALS angry over the laws being carried out. I'd bet the Wash DC and entire NE seaboard area would have the same law as Arizona if they had the financial burdens of the illegals in the SW!!!! To reiterate what everyone else has already said: Why can't the US federal government enforce federal laws? Why are the state left to 'take care of their own' on this NATIONAL SECURITY issue; which is why the reasons we as international travelers are required to carry proper ID – ie., valid passorts, visas, etc. Does the idea of developing a department of 'Homeland Security' only apply to the security of US northeast? Maybe this country should divide itself into 4 quadrants: NE, SE, NW and SW. Then maybe we'd have more 'common interest' like focusing on protection of our citizens by a government not sooooooooo far away....

April 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. whodat

Screw Arizona. If we can't be in Arizona then I would like to see anyone from Arizona go to mexico now.

April 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jane

I'm originally from Arizona and completely aghast at recent legislation in the state regarding immigration, handguns, and, of course, birth certificates for presidential candidates. There are so many problems related to this particular legislation, but for those of you in favor of it I would ask: How would you feel, if while traveling overseas in democratic nations, you thought the police could be expected to request and examine your passport at any time? As a legitimate tourist, it would still make me a little uneasy and it would deter me from going if I started to hear about other Americans getting singled out. If this is enforced in AZ, the same is likely to happen with legal Mexican tourists. AZ is basically thumbing their nose at Mexican spending, which is not insignificant in the state. I hope this ultimately resonates with AZ citizens - at this point, it seems hopeless for them to recognize the racial issues with the bill, but perhaps the financial angle will ultimately hit home.

April 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Erica

Since my posting will appear after #674, no one will read it anyway, so here goes:

1-You are supposed to carry your ID. If you are driving (walking, biking, etc) and get pulled over, you might end up in jail (or at the very least, in the back of a cruiser) until your identity can be verified.
    2-I have lived in California and Nevada, and both DMV's required my birth certificate to get my drivers license. I think California will also accept a current green card or resident alien card. What does this mean? You have to be here legally to have a drivers license and when the police verify your information they should be able to verify what identification you used to get your DL. If all states have that requirement (and I don;'t know what they require) then a valid drivers license is the first step to being left alone.
    3-Just an FYI, on the California DL renewal, it states that by having a DL issued by CA, you agree to accept service of process at the address on file with DMV. (No dodging the process server)!

Sorry for any typos – I think they put the comments section in 2pt!

April 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

I see it over and over again: "If you come here legally you've got nothing to worry about." Nothing could be further from the truth. I know from firsthand experience that EVERY SINGLE INTERACTION with ANY cop has the potential to go bad. Cops are bad news. The more you're around them, the more you will get burned.

April 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

I came here from the UK and am living in Arizona legally. I carry my Green Card with me at all times, and have absolutely no problems with this law. Citizens and legal immigrants alike should realize that illegals in most cases do not pay any taxes, make use of our health care facilities at no cost, have a significant criminal element and depress wages. Anything that discourages them from coming to Arizona is a good thing.

April 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lisa

I have lived and traveled in other countries that required me to carry my papers with me at all times so what's the big deal? It's just the media and the polticians trying to make a big deal of the issue.

I hope all the illegals are so disturbed by this travel advisory that they go home! That will teach those people in Arizona to enforce the laws!

April 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Charles

"if I am brown and don't speak English very well...or am cutting grass outside, I may easily be 'picked out' for 'reasonable suspicion.'"

Wow you're ignorant. Is it illegal to mow a lawn? Because cops can't just walk up to you, you have to have done something wrong first, e.g. speeding, loitering, murder.

April 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Juan

when did the nazi party move to arizona? if you really look at it all non native american people are here without papers. you just killed and cheated them out of their land.t is that the american way?

April 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100