April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. JD

@Jim
    "At least in Arizona you do not have to worry about being kidnapped and held for ransom"

Actually, here in Phoenix, we are the WORLDS second most dangerous city for kidnapping, second only to Mexico City. The reason we enacted this law is because we DO have to worry about being kidnapped. I'm sorry, but this law does NOT allow officers to racial profile, they have to have probable cause to request proof of citizenship. Gov. Brewer has already stated that every officer will be trained in what justifys probably cause, which does NOT include race. Really, how hard is it to make a copy of your birth certificate and keep it in your glovebox?

April 27, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

If you've not already done so, you should read Linda Greenhouse' online commentary about the issue in the NY Times (see http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/author/linda-greenhouse/). Her concluding point was, in her terms, a "modest proposal":

Everyone remembers the wartime Danish king who drove through Copenhagenwearing a Star of David in support of his Jewish subjects. It’s an apocryphal story, actually, but an inspiring one. Let the good people of Arizona — and anyone passing through — walk the streets of Tucson and Phoenix wearing buttons that say: I Could Be Illegal.

Consider making your own (it is easy to do, using a printer and press on templates, or buy one online somewhere, for example http://www.cafepress.com/IMightBeIllegal) and wearing it proudly, to show your opposition to the bill (and the bias behind it) and your support for those impacted.

April 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RSH

A travel advisory warning coming from Mexico, that's rich. How about this for a travel advisory? If you in the country illegally go the hell home!

April 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. USMP

Sounds like a "tit-for-tat" response since the US issued a travel advisory to US citizens advising them to avoid "unnecessary" travel to Mexico due to the cartel violence...go figure? I wish we could all act grown up about an issue that affects all of us on all sides of the issue (and the border).

April 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bert romero,, ca

Thye problem is not whether you're ok because you're legal; it's that you will be stopped and questioned. If you don't have your proper documentation (normal ID may not be suffiecient), what then? Get your mother to come and get you at the slammer. How convenient is that? Sop it's not a simp;e question of legality: it's a feeling of being in a f=ree society! Next the cops will be boing home to home and take out those dastqardly nannies and gardeners so the proper citizens can fill those jobs–I see them waiting in line.
    t

April 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. prankster

Boy,it's a good thing the Governor signed-these people from south of the border have been stealing away all those NEUROSURGEON JOBS from hard working Americans for years now!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Butch

It's about time. That says it all.

April 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Klatu Berata Nicto

Why doesn't Mexico tell it's people to stop sneaking onto the US illegally? That would actually be helpful. Oh wait, that's right, they actually promote it. Printing pamphlets and maps, complete with instructions on how to avoid the border patrol. Isn't that abetting a crime on a massive scale? We should hold them accountable and send them the bill for all those incarcerations, deportations, skipped hospital bills, identity theft and Social Security fraud cases, etc. The nerve of these people...

April 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Karen

The dictionary defines ILLEGAL as "not according to or authorized by law ." According to the Mexican government's claim, "It must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time" Why on earth should any illegal not be questioned? The mexican government is pretty rough on it's ILLEGALS!

April 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GS

This is not the same thing as someone traveling to a foreign country and having their passport on hand. I am an American citizen but because I am Mexican I have to carry my "legal documents" with me at all times? I'm not visiting this country, I live here!! Day in and day out just like all of you who are commenting. If I have to carry documentation with me at all times then so should you. The color of my skin does not indicate my legal status!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Stanley

Mexico has encouraged their populace to break the laws of the United States for years by supporting illegal migration just send back remittence. That remitence fuels narcotics and human traficing. We must as a country defend our borders from this invasion.

April 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rosie

I had to show ID when I was in New Mexico looking for an apartment and I am a blonde/blue eyed caucasion. Maybe we need a federal ID system and just get it over with.

April 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. letitia

WHAT DON'T THEY UNDERSTAND ABOUT I-L-L-E-G-A-L. STOP WHINNING AND STAY IN MEXICO, NO ONE ASKED YOU TO COME HERE. MY SISTER-IN-LAW CAME HERE FROM ITALY, IT TOOK HER 7 YEARS TO BECOME A U.S. CITIZEN AND SHE IS MIGHTY PROUD OF THAT FACT.
    I GUESS IF I GO TO CANANDA ILLEGALLY USE THERE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM AND ANYTHING ELSE THEY HAVE, THEN GET CAUGHT I CAN CRY DISCRIMINATION, OR GO TO FRANCE AND MAKE EVERYONE THERE SPEAK ENGISH.
    I WOULD LOVE THE SHAKE THE HAND OF GOV. JAN BREWER, KUDOS TO HER FOR STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE AND HAVING THE COURAGE TO DO SOMETHING NO OTHER GOV. HAS DONE.
    I JUST MIGHT SEND HER A FRUIT BASKET.

April 27, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dave

finally, a state getting real about the overrun situation. But after 8 years BUSH did nothing – two terms, and ppl have the gall to blame Obama. lol

April 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Klatu Berata Nicto

BTW Remember the Alamo!

April 27, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100