April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. huan s vazquez

FOR THE MEXICAN GOVERMENT TO BE SO CONCERN ABOUT PAPERS IS
    PURE STUPIDITY...WHAT ABOUT THE CUBANS THEY ARE DEPORTING BACK
    TO A CRIMINAL/COMUNIST REGIME

April 27, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Den Den

Why should any Mexican be harassed in their own state of Arizona. All Mexican should be welcomed home in Arizona, Texas, California and all other places of their territory.

April 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Edwin Marquez

I once took my then 10 yr old to her new school and I could not find her name on any classroom so I went to the front office. The lady who I spoke with stated that my daughter was going to be bussed to another school because they had too many children from Mexico. I was so surprised by her answer that I started to raise my voice as to why my daughter had to be bussed, but the Mexican children were not. The school adminstration called the campus police and I was escorted off the school campus. Tell me know if that is fair? By the way, I am a Mexican American of LEGAL MEXICAN PARENTS.

April 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. malsings07

So, basically it's just racial profiling ...like how they do with Blacks.....what's the big deal I mean if your Black and your an American they get you for something else. So, the Illegals shouldn't be undocumented all they do is cause havoc with fake social security cards, fake DMV license, no insurance, crime etc.... not like we don't have enough already.

April 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Buzz Lightyear

Chief Wigwam
    smoke pot it is better for you

April 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Julio Hernandez

I am in this country illegally. I understand I do not belong here and do not blame the state of Arizona for their actions. If I do not receive my green card soon, I will return to Mexico and apply through the Mexican Consulate. The law is fair and just. If I am pulled over by the police and questioned about my immigration status regardless of my nationality, I will pay the price for my actions. I salute the State of Arizona for passing this new law.

April 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cynthia

I don't know one single citizen including myself who carries anything but a drivers license in their wallet as a form of ID. Most people don't carry a birth certificate and social security card on them for security purposes. If someone steals your bag and all that stuff is in there it makes it extremely easy to steal someone's identity. This law is also racial profiling to the max. I'm of hispanic origin so according to this law that automatically makes me A. Mexican and B. Illegal so a cop can pull me over with ZERO cause. I'm pretty damn sure if they were like oh well we don't like all those european immigrants lets pull over anyone who looks european, waaaay more people would be pissed. Such nonsense. This country was created by immigrants. Only the native americans are technically not immigrants not even their ancestors. EVERYONE ELSE'S IS!! It's called better border control. Don't penalize people who were born here or are here legally based solely on how they look.

April 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LL

Interesting that in some ways we have brought this problem on ourselves. Despite the high unemployment, there are too many Americans that will not work the restaurant jobs, or in the fields, or factories or other outside or dirty jobs. It is so much easier to live off the government. The foreigners fill a void we leave and then we complain. Who's the fool.

April 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Buy anything from Arizona

Make all the Nazi comparisons you want. Just bringing it up and in any way comparing it to the situation in AZ shows you know absolutely nothing about history and further proves your ignorance. This country is finally waking up to the fact that we will not be shamed into political correctness for the sake of giving criminals a free pass.

April 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Buzz Lightyear

get rid of all non wasps

April 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. M.L.

Does anyone knows of any other state that has 5 Mexican consulates!!! wow.

April 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Spicoli

Dude, who's gonna bend the tostadas into taco shells if we give the Beaners the boot?

April 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. rivirivi

I believe that if MExico really really LOVES the United States of America, Mexico should second the Arizona bill and would be proud to stand behind the other states of United States of America because lately we have been receiving a lot of threats from the Sociopath murderers Radical Islamists that "something bad" is going to happen inside our United States of America.

April 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Buzz Lightyear

racial profiling is good
    how else you gonna tell the criminals
    from the good guys

April 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. IaCheNeHe

914 is correct

April 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100