April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Leo

Cleary this law is unconstitutioanal. Just smoke and mirrors and politics to further divide America.

April 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. KH

Perfect Advisory....only thing left out was the part of, "if your traveling to the USA illegally and you are returned...we will in turn put you in jail for defecting". We advise and require all Mexican's to do the right thing and go thru the process correctly. For Cartel's, carry on, because we don't have the balls or spine to do anything about you.

April 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Buzz Lightyear

the minorities are always the criminals

April 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dave

Dear Indians: you are not NATIVE AMERICANS there are NO PEOPLE NATIVE to North or South American - human beings cam to the new world over the Bering Land brige

TRUE Indians may have been in the Americans 11 thousand years before Europeans - but in that 11 thousand years Europeans invented the wheel, bronze, steel, the alphabet, writing, mathematics, navigation, etc. INDIANS INVENTED NOTHING - not even the wheel

Watch a cowboy movie - almost everything the Indian has came from the white man - horse, knives, metal tomahawks, guns, drinking and scalping

April 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Big Leonard

Bitte, show me deine Papers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RB_Chicago

Those cheering should contemplate how much their food bills would skyrocket without Mexican migrant workers to pick their fruit & veggies. Consider every crap job Americans don't want and there's likely a brown person doing it - housecleaning, yard maintenance, car washes, child care, restaurant & hotel workers. There needs to be immigration reform that keeps the criminal element out, but allows hard-working people in.

April 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BMS

The constitution states that civil liberties apply to all people in the United States. If it were made easier and more realistic for people to legally immigrate to the United States from Mexico or other Latin American countires, there would not be so many ¨illegals" to deal with. People need to realize that they were once "illegal" here as seen by the native peoples of the region, yet we are still here. We are the land of freedom and opportunity, where the hell is that going.

April 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Julie Moore

#877 FER Where has your head/brains been buried this past year? Read the newspaper and follow the news. People across the United States from all walks of life have been voicing their opinion boldly in public about illegal aliens. I don't believe there is one person making comments on this post that would not hesitate to voice their opinion bodly to the face of all unauthorized races boldy coming to American with their beliefs, their way of worshipping, their cuisine etc... and receiving free or subsidized housing, interest free loans for (5) years, just ask all of the millions of Patel families across the United States in motel/hotel businesses, welfare, disability Social Security, food stamps, free education, free college, the list is enormous.
    I suggest you study up on what is happening to your country.

April 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PaganForLife

kali13 @ alsharptounge – Я люблю Россию!

April 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Buzz Lightyear

minority=stranger-criminal
    #1 Law of Physics

April 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JustStupid

For all of you who want to allow illegals inour country.
    YOU put up the morey to pay for them and I'm good.

If you WON"T put up the moneyto take care of them then SHUT UP!

If our federal government would just enforce the laws already in place none of this would be a problem.

April 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dave Althaus

I'm not worried. I carry my ID at all times.

Semper Fi,
    Dave

April 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mike

I can't believe the comments from people saying this will hurt local retailers. Open up your mind here. Retailer profits is one of the very benefits to excess bodies in an area. If the illegal immagrant issues could be contained more money could be saved that spending wouldn't have to make up for. Shoot hospital care is HUGE, if they are illegal there is no accountability, they leave the hostpital and there is no one to contact to even pay the debt(make your hospital care go up). My property taxes are higher becuase of illegal living in my area and their kids going to school. Don't forget most rent and do not own real property and don't directly feel this consequence. My daughters class has 29 students in a class that can hold 20. My local court system is overwhelmed with illegals in general. They spend time and effort attempting to track down the ones that don't show up to court, then even more time and effort dealing with the non english speaking ones that do.

Last week I had a court date becuase of a speeding ticket. I show up at 6A and am the 2nd one in line for court that opens at 7A. By 7A there are roughly 30-40 people in line. At 7:01A the court opens with the baliff coming out and asking any non english speakers to the front of the line. I was HOT about the situation. I start talking with one of the court appointed defenders and he mentioned to me our local court can only afford for a translator from 7A-10A each day. Plus he said since most non english speakers are illegal, they are just happy to collect what they can for the honest few that do arrive to court. Guess what i didn't get my turn until 10:30A. All the lazy arses who showed up at 9:30A got to cut infront of me.

I am not even talk specifically about Mexicans, I am in Texas and I know/see just as many from other countries. Go to Chicago or Boston and people would shocked at the number of illegal europeans, mainly Irish/Scottish.

April 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Buzz Lightyear

Long Live Teabagistan

April 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. anonyme

I was once mistaken for Puerto Rican...I'm of English, German and Ukrainian ancestry ... P.R. isn't that far off from being Mexican (just ask freddy prinz) ...so I guess I should worry about going to Arizona.

April 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100