April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. gilbert

GOOD

April 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michael G

Im hispanic living next door in New Mexico and if Im ever passing thru Arizona and Im asked by a Police Officer if Im american I can tell you I will NOT be offended and will be more then happy to prove Im an American. If this is the small price to pay to get our JOBs and security back so be it.

April 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. savetheUSA

Don't tell me people here illegally do not get assistance. Obama's Aunt lives in federally funded housing and has been told to leave, but she is here. So if you think Mr. O cares about "illegal immigration" think again. All the Democrats who voted for him have been very mislead.

And who is paying for her legal fees, bodyguards? You, the American tax payer.

April 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. none

Only a matter of time till ANYONE is driving down the road and the gestappo will stop you and ask you for your papers... What is your name? DO NOT ANSWER, WE ALREADY KNOW!

April 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Buzz Lightyear

i was once mistaken for an alien from plouris flostide
    actually im from boston

April 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. FedUp!

Wonder why this country is in trouble? Read the messages posted here! Everything from the religious fanatics to the just plain stupid...

Arizona has a BIG problem. It is called illegal immigrants. This country has the same BIG problem and the solution is not amnesty! Arizona is trying to do something about the problem.

Frankly, I am tired of all you 'do-gooders'. If you are so concerned about and care for illegals, why don't YOU adopt a family of illegals. Assign 25% of your pay check to them to help support them. That way, maybe MY taxes will decrease because of reduced welfare and health care costs for illegals.

This law is a start. It is intended to allow law enforcement to verify citizenship **if they suspect you are illegal**. There will be no arbitrary roadblocks with associated ID checks. Producing an AZ drivers license (or passport if visiting) is a simple response if asked. I have to provide proof of my identity whenever I cash a check or use my credit card. Get over it.

Step two of controlling the problem should be sealing the 'open border'. Mexican citizens with tourist visas are welcome at border crossings. Same for Mexicans that immigrate legally - WELCOME!! But the remainder of the border should be protected by Claymores and Border patrol should have strict orders to shoot people attempting to enter illegally - no questions asked! Maybe then these people (the illegals) will know we are serious and stay home. The Mexican government is free to implement the same measures to protect their borders against illegals.

April 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hbhobby

So Mexico is telling its citizens not to travel to Arizona because of a law that MIGHT ask them to produce documents. Fair enough, America has told it's citizens not to travel to Mexico because of the violence from drug gang wars. (I think I would take my chances with the law instead of the gangs. But that's just me.)

April 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Marine Mom

Its not different than if you walk into a bar and they ID you to make sure you are legal!

April 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. KG

It's about time that someone took a stand for legal residents of our country. We have been sitting back allowing illegals to have far too many rights. I am fine with those here legally. More power to them for coming to a country where they can make a better life for themselves. I applaud that. I do not applaud those here illegally. I don't applaud those here illegally that expect to participate in our government funded programs. I don't applaud those here illegally that expect us to change things to their language because they refuse to learn English.

If I am pulled over by the police I am required to show proper identification. I don't think this is any different. If you are not here legally – get out. It's that simple.

April 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kay

there is also something called white illegals, are they gona by stopped

April 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

The fair solution is a national ID that everyone would have to produce for police on demand. But of course the same people who favor this bill would scream fascism and Stalinism at the first mention of such a proposal despite the fact that is exactly what this law is going to require of Latinos. In otherwords, police state tactics are OK for Latinos but not for whites.

April 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bullymom72

I think the big hub bub is the media's use of the word "papers". It brings back thoughts of the Nazi's persecution of the Jews. If my behaviour causes law enforcement to have a converstation with me, what is the first thing they will ask for...my id. So how about the media not fuel this fire. I have a Canadian friend who has a legal Resident Alien card he carries with him at all times, just like his driver's license. The media needs to stop exploiting the suffering of the Jews to paint a picture that gets them ratings by using the word "papers".

April 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Al Sharptongue

Al Sharptongue back at Kali: Go shave your legs!

April 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mr. Wright

Here is a question for all the people that are in favor this bill. What happens when a Mexican American is stopped and asked for ID and he says he doesn’t have one? Will he be detained for hours until they figure it out? Or will the police let him go on good faith. A law is needed but this law has the potential to hurt Americans as well, it’s called racial profiling and it is supposed to be illegal.

April 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kh

What happens to a US citizen in a Foreign Country Illegally ?? You are Sent HOME.. You are Illegal. If you are American In China Illegally. What happens. They put you in jail and send you home.. If you are American in Canada . Illegally.. What happens.. they send you home. I see no problem with this.. If you have your Visa and live in US not just AZ legally your fine..

April 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100