April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Bearski12

It is absolutely not true that this law only applies to the "illegals" living in AZ. If race and ethinicity are not to be used as basis for a request of ID under this law, what is? How fast a person is walking or running? Whether they are wearing dark sunglasses and a hood? How can a law enforcement officer identify an "illegal" person without using race and/or ethnicity? The law pays lips service to officially stem any potential criticism of racial profiling. Imagine this scenario: you are walking out of the gym and you left your wallet in the gym's locker room. For some reason (maybe the type of a haircut you have), a police officer asks you for your ID but you do not have it. The outcome? You are arrested until you can prove your idenity. Sounds wonderful, no?

April 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. airshotz

Have just a little compassion toward the families that will be torn apart because of this bill, I'm not saying that it won't help the drug,and smuggling problems plus all the dynamics that go with illegal immigrant crime statistics,but for everyone to cheer and use hurtful banter, it makes me wonder if the tides were turned would you be so cynical, I'm crow, native American, and i share my home with all of you, and the world hasn't stopped turning yet, be the Americans the world is inspired by, not be thought of as arrogant, and pompous.

April 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. beesquare

OK, you are white and don't look Mexican. To avoid looking like they are using racial profiling, the police decide to stop you on the street and ask for your "papers." You have your driver's license but that doesn't prove your citizenship. Nor does your library card, your John Birch society membership card, or your Discover card. You can't prove your citizenship with any of those normal "papers" so by Arizona law you must be detained. Oops...you should have been carrying your birth certificate with you. And not a state-issued, computer print-out either because that was not satisfactory to prove President Obama'a citizenship. You need to be carrying the tattered hospital-issued original with your little foot and fingerprints and birth weight... if you still have it that is.

April 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alan Villegas

Not problem for the legally mexican inmigrant, we use to carry the passport and visa. The problem is for the americans who look like mexicans and dont use to carry a document to demonstrate they are americans.

So, this is not racism against mexicans.., is racism against americans who looks like mexicans.

April 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. david

#223 luis in brookly.
    Your right that criminals don't give a dam about our immigration laws. That's why they are called illegal immigrants. They broke the law , all of them. you are so right by stating the obviuos for all to see.

April 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lizabeth

No matter which side one might be on regarding this issue, it is absolutely pathetic to see the venemous, hatefilled, racist, bigoted comments posted here. What has happened to civility in this country? What a sad indictment on the United States when our own citizens are filled with so much hate. Can people not have a civil discussion anymore without name calling & foul language & threats? Sad indeed.

April 27, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Angel

Don't worry they will all come to Colorado. I am hispanic myself
    a mother of three children 28,14.12. When my oldest was 14 he got a job at
    McDonald's. My daughter can't becuse they can hire adult illegals, so much for them taking only jobs Americans don't want. I also moved from my last house becuse a
    very nice Mexican family moved next door. Problem was they allowed 10 or more single men to stay there and all weekend they sat on the side of the house that faced mine
    and got drunk and whistled at my 10 yr old at the time daughter and her friends
    so that they could not go outside anymore. I called the city and health department
    and nobody could do anything cause it might violate their rights. By the way my younger
    two kids father is a Mexican immigrant. I have also been hit twice by illegal drivers with no insurance, guess who paid my$1000 deductible because CO is one of the highest states to insure your car. My agent said it is because of all the insured motorists, guess who most of them are. I watch my own kids and clean my own house , I welcome anyone here legally but those that are here breaking the law need to be gone.

April 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jack

This goes to show you how much the federal goverment and these politicans were going to do about the immgration in this country, Very little and its seems that our goverment is just as corrupt and Mexico govement because they are complaing about this law and they want people to enter this country illegally, So it will seem that any politican who is up for relection and says they are for immigration reform is a liar,

April 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tex

You people who don't support this new law have the most ridiculous objections I have ever seen. The AZ police will not be pulling over and/or questioning you simply because you are a mexican. The police will not be on a tyrant looking for illegals. Morons. The police will be doing their jobs as they always have, and now they will have the ability to determine whether or not you have the right to be here. If you were born here, guess what? YOU HAVE A BIRTH CERTIFICATE, A SS#, AND MOST LIKELY A STATE ISSUED ID. Unless you obtained any of those illegally(this is easy to determine when the SS# you have belongs to a dead guy and is shared by 500 other illegal messicans across the country), wtf are you worried about? It's clear to me the only people opposed to this are the ignorant, the illegals and the legals who have illegal friends/family. Shut your cry baby "I'm gonna get upset 'cause everyone else is" mouth and deal with it. I have ZERO objections to my background being thoroughly investigated if ANY law enforcement officer has the slightest doubt of my legal status. "Lets all cry racism and create as much friction as possible because we don't support the advancement of our country or the world" YOU people are shameful. Really.

April 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chuck

One of the obvious flaws of this law is the fact that not all Mexican nationals look Mexican. I have travel to and through Mexico for 25+ years and have met many people who had light brown hair and even some with blue eyes. If I didn't know them I would never guess the were Mexican. Tourism in Mexico (especially in the Yucatan) has made it easy for many locals to learn to speak English with virtually no accent. I also know many people who were born here and never even visited Mexico that are either of Hispanic descent or just have the features that might lead one to believe they are Mexican nationals. The law is bad for all and really puts forth a bad image of Arizona. Remeber the last state to acknowledge Martin Luther King Day as a Holiday? I am a white suuburban American that is ashamed of the way Mexican people are threated in our country. If we treated our Canadian neighbors in the same manner the outrage would be heard on every news channel.

April 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DAN

A LOT OF PEOPLE CARRIED THEIR DRAFT AND SS CARD FOR YEARS AND I STILL CARRY MY DRIVERS LICENSE SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? IT IS BECAUSE THE LAW ENFORCEMENT WILL BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT WHO IS LEGAL RIGHT AWAY. AND THE TRANSPORTERS AND EMPLOYERS AND MAYBE SOME OF OUR POLITICIANS AND AND AND AND, ETC. WILL NOT HAVE ANY EXCUSES.
    DO YOU REALLY THINK WE SHOULD STOP ANYONE WITH BLUE EYES?

HAVE A BETTER IDEA. LETS STOP ALL THE WHITE HONKEYS "LIKE ME" AND ASK FOR THEIR ID AND ARREST THE OTHERS BECAUSE THEY THINK IT IS BENEATH THEM TO CARRY IT OR SHOW IT.

April 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Barada

Wow! I wish they would put California on that travel advisory, too.

April 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gary S

So now in Arizona it is illegal to be illegal. Who knew?

April 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Aaron

So in order to avoid racial profiling, the cops need to be instructed that everyone should be questioned. Unless the oficer knows for a fact that a person (white, black, brown whatever) is a legal citizen, they should pull them over and demand to see proof of citizenship. Let John Q. Republican get shaken down for papers every day (hey, all white people look alike) and see how fast he wants to repeal the law.

April 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lisa

To all of you who are not latino....You need to realize this is about the legal latinos getting harrassed. Are you people that stupid to think that racism does not go on anymore?? You dont think racist police will abuse they have. Racism is still out there.

April 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100