April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. ralph

WARNING: Arizona is enforcing immigration laws.

April 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Student of the Law

Justice is a central tenet of democracy. But justice is not only about a just result; it is also about a just process. One without the other is not justice at all. Indeed, the Due Process clause iterates just that. Thus, there is no justice when a man suffers punishment at the hands of a mob or by order of a clown court even if the man is guilty of whatever he is accused of doing. For in the American justice system one is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. A just ends cannot justify an unjust means. There must be a just process. The comments in this forum that seek to justify the law by the notion that "If you are in Arizona legally, there will be absolutely no problem," fly against the tenets of the American justice system for they seek to rely on a "just" result to justify the statute regardless the justness, of lack thereof, of the process. The greatest injustices that mar our country's past are the result of abandoning principles of justice and due process. I believe the statute and the process under the statute by which a person's legal status attains a label of "reasonable suspicion" would fail under strict constitutional scrutiny. The means by which the statute seeks to achieve its purpose appears to fly against the Due Process and Equal Protection clauses of the Constitution.

It will be interesting to see: (1) whether the statute withstands a constitutional challenge; and, (2) if constitutional, how much discretion courts will give to law enforcement under the statute in finding a reasonable suspicion that a person is in the U.S. illegally.

April 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. emack06

You people seems to forget, illegals in this country are not only mexican. Plenty of white people are illegals too. Will they be stopped and questioned? Or do they feel their skiln color gives them a free pass? There is no shortage of idiots in the country, starting with Arizonia's Governor.

April 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JustStupid

If your are driving you have to carry "Your Papers" else the police can arrest you.

Grow up.

If your are here ILLEGALLY you should be sent back to your country of origin
    It is already the LAW!

Our only problem is that our GOVERNMENT is refusing to enforce the laws that
    are already in place.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Maxine

Doesn't bother me at all. I am Mexican and I look Mexcian, but I am legal...so if I am questioned, it really is no big deal to me. I know that we need to do SOMETHING. It's out of control.

April 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ep canuk

This will be fun. The Commies in eastern Europe and the Nazis used to make everyone carry status documents – that worked real well.

Officer: "Thank you sir, your documents are in order. But while I was reviewing your documents I noticed you have tail light out, can I please see your registration and insurance? ...... It appears your insuance has expired sir. Please step out of the car.

Arazonian: But ... but ... I'm a citizen, I'm legal, I'm white ...! Ow . . .they're too tight!

Have fun!!! I know we will.

April 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Margare

Ya, "What's wrong with having your papers in order?" Heck, why not make it easy on yourself and wear a gold star, I mean ahhh, just a letter indicating your 'status' it doesn't have to be scarlet.

April 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dave

nice FAKE message Manny – IF YOU EARN MINIMUM WAGE, you pay NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX – but you do have FICA deductions for Social security and Medicare – since illegals are never goning to collect social security or Medicare (they are not going to retire here – we get to keep their money – illegals do pay sales tax

European immigration in the 1900's, 20's and 30's was about the same as hispanic LEGAL immigration today

WE ALLOW AS MANY LEGAL HISPANICS PER YEAR AS WE EVER DID EUROPEANS

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS LAW IS THAT THE NEW LAW ENCOURAGES THE POLICE TO HASSLE PEOPLE WHO "LOOK" ILLEGAL – most of the time legals are going to be hassled

DON'T FORGET ARIZONA WAS MEXICO – WE STOLE IT IN A WAR – SPANISH IS THE DOMINANT LANGUAGE – we fought Mexico because they did not have the MORALS to let the Texans own slaves

April 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DenverGrl

I am hoping this law will help with the violence on the US side of the boarder that is due to Mexican drug cartels.

April 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. wow

Mexico is silly. If the show were on the other foot, they would villify the US until we bought a fence to keep americans out of mexico. oh well, i guess this is what you get when your country is founded on democracy and capitalism, and your government attempts to not be corrupt, or at least in plain sight.

April 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Esteban

Too bad more states haven't jumped on board with Governor Brewer. Imagine for a moment what it would be like to pull up to a McDonalds and NOT hear "Weccum to Madonna. Can I take dyor order? Wul dyu like a Pessi or Coke wit dat? Please pull to d nest weendow" Or to be in line at the DMV and actually have the line move faster than molasses in Decemebr because every one ahead of you speaks ENGLISH? I wish El Presidente Calderon would issue warnings to ALL Mexicans saying that the US has awakened and will no longer be giving out free tacos or burritos. Maybe then they will all leave and head south to Brazil or Venezuala or Guatemala. I hear Panama has nice weather. They can get a Yob there too. Ask Carlos Mencia!

April 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dee

This could be forcing the ILLEGALS just to go to different parts of the United States to get FREE Services.

April 27, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lizabeth

Re #976– yeah sure. If you think I believe that made up story, you're dreaming.

April 27, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. TammyB

You do have to have ID on you at all times....those who cited old laws which have been overturned or ignored have never gotten a ticket for not having their ID on them, which I see everyday as an insurance professional. I live in Arizona, and everyone here knows that they have to have their ID on them (State issued ID or Driver's License) at all times, walking or driving. It has been like that for a while. In order to get a driver's license in the State of Arizona, you have to prove your citizenship (birth certificate). Also, you DO have to have a passport card now to pass into Canada or Mexico from the US. That became effective last year. You cannot go to either without it. I think the only issue here is that if you are in another country and are asked to prove you belong there by work Visa or legal immigration status, you should be able to produce those things, as all of us have to do when we travel to places other than our homelands. Why should this be any different for anyone with brown skin as opposed to white? I was born in a border town, and get stopped every single time coming back from there to Phoenix, by Border Patrol....they ask me what I am doing, ask to see everyone's ID, etc. I don't get mad. I comply. No problem. I am caucasian and get stopped everytime.

April 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Alex

100% AMERICAN INDIAN...I believe that you are also here illegally......you came from Asia but you were here first.

April 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100