April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. savetheUSA

Just for the people who don't know what the definition is of amnesty. Based upon Obama's words, it is clear that he does not know what the definition is either and he is a Harvard graduate! How embarrasing. So where do all the people who voted for him stand now?

Definitions of amnesty on the Web:

•a period during which offenders are exempt from punishment
    •pardon: a warrant granting release from punishment for an offense
    •grant a pardon to (a group of people)
    •the formal act of liberating someone

April 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Albert Tucson

While some people have touched on it, most don't seem to have a clue. The crux of this is you (ALL of you) are giving up your freedom with this law. Today it's illegal aliens, tomorrow it's NRA members, ACLU, Catholics, etc. If you give the government the right to stop and search you for no GOOD reason, it's just a step away from Big Brother.Most of you I read on this blog I'm sure are members of, or sympathetic to the tea party movement, and yet you rant in favor of governmet searches. Do I need to say more?

April 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Peter

What a bunch of WHINERS! As an American Born American Citizen, I had to show my American Birth Certificate in order to obtain a LEGAL drivers license! Therefore a valid drivers license is a form of Identification that shows I am here LEGALLY! If a Mexican, Brittain, Chinese. or anyone else has shown that they are here LEGALLY then they have the papers they need.
    We Arizonans are NOT against ANY LEGAL visitors! We need jobs and our government has taken steps to invite jobs for our CITIZENS. I'm sorry that there are no jobs in Mexico because the government has been about as much help as nipples on a boar hog! But deal with your government and stop thinking that when we stop an ILLEGAL from taking an American job that we're "discriminating" against Mexicans!
    Legal = NOT breaking the law!
    Illegat = CRIMINAL !!!
    There it is in Black and White.

April 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wow

i guess the other option is to issue documentation to all the illegals saying they are illegal.

April 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Problem solved

Problem solved – ID everyone. Let's see you complain about that now. AZ has this thing figured out brilliantly. All the legal immigrants in the US worked hard to earn their citizenship and opening the flood gates is a slap in the face to all of them. The votes will prove where the country stands in November. Don't be surprised if the Fed government backs off of this issue and throws in the towel – it could be the one issue that polarizes this Country once again and they don't want to risk it.

April 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. IaCheNeHe

Dave what you wrote about american indians is so far from reality. The truth is American Indians never needed any of those items! How funny are you?

April 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. badq

This law is great. I wish it was enforced nation wide. Good going Arizona!

BTW, calling an illegal alien an undocumented worker is the same as calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist.

April 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. votemout

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! do not belong here legally get the hell out! every state should have this law!!

April 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DAN

RACIAL PROFILING IS AN EXCUSE FOR NOT KEEPING THE USA SAFE AND ALL THE ILLEGAL PEOPLE OUT. IT IS A CATCH ALL PHRASE AND MOST OF YOU KNOW IT. IT IS LIKE THE "PC" CRAP. BULL! IT WILL ALSO HELP SOME OF THE WHITE HONKEYS GET A JOB. REMEMBER, IF IT WALKS LIKE ONE, IT MUST ME ONE.

April 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. DEHK

If you are an American citizen and you are traveling to Mexico you can expect to get the shake down and have to pay off their police so they will not throw you in jail for no reason at all.

April 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Indian

As a Native American I feel that many in this country do not belong here. Maybe we should ask all the invaders to leave – how would you like that?

April 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Betty

Not only am I legal, I am a natural born American citizen who also is Hispanic (and no, before you ask, no one in my family is illegal; we are Cuban and all came legally), and I DO have a problem being forced to identify myself all of a sudden because this is the color of my skin. Why should I be second guessed? This is MY country too. How quickly right-wingers forget their opposition to "big-government" when it suits them.

April 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. woodbrrm

There is no problem with this new AZ law? When I travel oversea's, I am always required to have my identity ie passport with me. The only people who really object to this law are the ones who either directly or indirectly benefit from being able to have people come here illegally.

April 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SurrealThought

You know...everyone is calling it racial profiling. Lets be honest, it is. Why? Which group of people streams nonstop into this country illegally? Oh right, the Mexicans. It is time to stem the flow before much of the US is just a sh*t hole like most of Mexico is.

Its nice to want a better life, but we all know these people bring the 3rd World with them. Enough is enough is enough. Start treating it like illegal invasion and let our military take up posts on the southern border.

I support Arizona and hopefully the other 49 states will have the balls and foresight to pass a similar law.

When you are illegal you have no rights , IMO.

April 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. als_kid

Hmmm...when I traveled abroad, I didn't have to carry my passport with me at all times for fear of being arrested. As a matter of fact we locked it in the hotel safe so it wouldn't be lost or stolen. When you start classifying illegal activity based on the race of someone...you start going down a slippery slope.

April 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100