April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Joe

1016 you are clueless! The other way around Repubs need to bash illegals to get the redneck vote!

April 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. steve5150

If he is warning illegal aliens to avoid Arizona lets pass the same law in every state.

April 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DAN

I LIVE IN AZ AND MY WIFE IS PART INDIAN. CUT THE CRAP ABOUT RACIAL PROFILING AND INVADERS BULL. SHOW YOUR ID AND GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE STUPID. THIS IS A NECESSARY EVIL AND I WILL NEVER, NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM BY BEING ASKED FOR MY ID. ALL YOU IDIOT RACIAL PROFILING NUTS GET REAL.

April 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bill

Based on 9/11, it should be that way in all states and for all Americans. You should have to provide proof of identity and if you are a US Citizen, here on a VISA, or tourist. If you are undocumented, you are illegally in this country. The same treatment should apply to Americans in other countries. The US and other countries need to take such things seriously since it is obvious that terrorists can come from any country inluding the USA.

April 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

I don't get it. "Ripping people away from thier jobs and thier family." Doesn't the government do this to Americans every day when the get caught doing something ILLEGAL? and go to jail? Why should Mexicans have special rights when caught doing something ILLEGAL?

Serious though, this is just another election year law that will never be enforced.

April 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fishman

Ummmm, yes you DO have to carry your "proof" at all times in most, if not all states. It is called your drivers license\ID\MilitaryID\passport. You will be cited for not carrying on your person at all times. Liberals just cannot see what has happned in many neighborhoods and the entire state of California. Illegals send all their money home, so once they saturate an area, the businesses go down. I can send liberals all the pictures they want of where this has happened. All the supposed "crazy Nazi right wing conservatives" want is that they do it legally, and the liberals to stop wiping your rear with the Constitution your Messiah Obama SWORE to uphold and defend.

April 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mikey

The illegals are mad at this legislation. HELLO, who should be MAD. What about ILLEGAL don't you understand. Sovereign borders are what any civilized nation should insist upon. Also, what about all those in Asia, Europe, India, etc, that want to LEGALLY eimigrate. Unbeleiveable.

April 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Enrique

Dewayne:

Thats totally retarded please do not post Stories you thought you heard or read, and then claming it happened to yuo after you tanned your ignorant ass at some random mexican beach.

April 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. guest

Whats so difficult showing an ID? if you are legal, shouldn't be a problem. Its not like it takes that much time and energy to pull out your ID.

April 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. BB

Who cares? If you are not here illegally then you have nothing to worry about. If people want to stop me because I am white and they want to verify I am legal.... I will be more than happy to produce what is requested. OF course, it is only the illegal ones that will have a problem with this.

April 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ezstreet

Here's a thought – why don't the legal ones get bright arm bands to show us who they are, and the ones without are immediatley suspect. Or, here's a killer – they can have their social security numbers tattoed on their arms with easy access for anybody who needs to look. No, wait. That's been done to death.

April 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Travis Philson

OK FAIR ENOUGH! IF THIS IS THE WAY WE ARE GOING TO DO IT, THEN EVERYONE SHOULD BE GETTING HARASSED BY THE POLICE. OLD PEOPLE, YOUNG PEOPLE, WHITE, BLACK, BROWN, RED, YELLOW, BLUE AND GREEN PEOPLE. EVERYBODY! LETS KEEP THE POLICE REALLY REALLY BUSY. WE CAN INCONVENIENCE EVERYONE WITH THIS NEW LAW. WHY SINGLE ANYONE OUT,

April 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. its a secret

Trust me once all these W**B***S are gone our women and children will stop getting RAPED you just watch.

April 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Maria from Brazil

@ Ron- What does it take to get an ID, you ask. Well, if you are a legal permanent resident of the US, it takes filing a bunch of paperwork, taking very specific photos, waiting in line for days... days you have to take off of work... then wait another 6 months to go pick up your new green card. If you're required to carry your green card with you everywhere and you get robbed or simply lose or misplace your wallet, you're screwed. Actually, in Arizona, you're thrown in jail. If and when you get out (since your family can't just show the cops your Green Card considering you lost it and only you can go down to the immigration office in the closest major city to get a new one), you have to waste more of your precious time and money to procure a replacement Green Card. It is not an easy or quick process. You think the DMV lines are bad, try waiting in an INS line. Do to a clerical error by the US government, my green card expired 5 years before the rest of my family (I was 13 at the time) so I had to miss 3 days of school and my mom 3 days of work to fix this error.

Also, just because I want to visit my white American friends attending grad school in Arizona, I should not have to bring my American passport. (I am now a citizen) In fact, I may just book my ticket to Arizona and wear one an "I could be illegal" button on my shirt just to prove the point that this law requires racial profiling.

April 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bill

We have already done "Amnesty for Illegals" back in the 80s. What did it get us? More illegals than before.
    I am sorry for the family issues cause by you being illegal and having children in the US.
    Think about that BEFORE you become an illegal imigrant.

April 27, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100