April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Woody

As a person who lived in Arizona at one point and time, Arizona may not want to admit the simple fact; they can't live without there immigrants ILLIGAL or LEGAL. For anyone take say "There taking away jobs from good hardworking US Citizens" that person is not being realistic. Most americans will not work for the same a day laborer is willing to work for.

The simple fact the matter I can't hire some one to clearn my lawn for the same amount I can pay a mexican and I'm sure the contractor who support Arizona booming build, rebuild, construction and other businesses secretly agree. The day laborers have a nitch in Arizona.
    Prince William County Virginia tried the same tactics to some degree and found they had to scale it back... Illegals were running everywhere and leaving everything behind including there cars and homes which hurt the local economy. Local neiborhoods felt the pinch in the grocery stores, car dealerships, real estate agents, gas stations ect: With all that being said, I want to see how round 2 of this fight is going to play out.

April 27, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Captain Ding Dong

People need to quit comparing this to Naziism, or anything related to how Europeans immigrated in the 18-1900's. A bunch of crazy SOBs crashed some planes into our buildings. A bunch of people are streaming across our borders, stealing jobs, government resources, etc. I'm pretty tired of the "poor me" logic behind this bill being bad and racist. My family immigrated from Poland. Came through Ellis Island, registered, etc. And the only Polish that was spoken or written was in their neighborhoods. Now, anywhere you go, there is Spanish spoken, and you are accused of discrimination if you can't understand what is being said.

Does anyone remember the first Democratic Presidential Debate from the past election? One of the questions was should English be made the official language and NOT ONE candidate raised their hand.

This country is supposed to be a melting pot, but with the Hispanics crying foul and wanting Separate but Equal, that's crap too.

I'm not a racist, but fair is fair. You wanna be here? Do it legally and learn the language

April 27, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. miajjay

So what happens when a natural citizen like myself gets pulled over by the cops and bymistake i forgot my wallet at home. If i cant prove that I am a citizen and the pigs decide that becaue I might look like a hispanic, then I have to be taken in untill they can prove otherwise???? You gotta be kidding me.... I would sue their asses for racial profiling....

April 27, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LSGrace

As a legal American I always carry proof that I am an American citizen on me. Its called a drivers License and proof of insurance. Its illegal for me NOT to have it! Big deal! Carry proof that you belong here (like I carry a passport anytime going to mexico) or leave. I live in Chandler, Az. The only people complaining about this, are the illegals, or family of illegals!!! If our state is voting for this, then let us be! Why does eveyone else care. Worry about your own state, and let us be!! I just love how the Mayor of Phoenix is meeting with Shakira now on this! Please!!! She's not a citizen ethier. What should her opinion matter?? For all you people complaining, come live in Chandler. And hour and a half from the border. See what its really like, then you have the right to complain and judge!!

April 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DAN

EVERY PERSON THAT ILLEGALLY CROSSES OUR BORDER DOES SO KNOWING THAT THEY BROKE ONE OR MORE LAWS IN THE USA. THEY HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THE USA, THE PEOPLE, OR OUR LAWS. THEY KNOW THAT THEY ARE A BURDEN ON OUR ECONOMY, AND THE CITIZENS OF THE USA, SUCH AS MEDICAL, HOUSING, NO INSURANCE, BANKRUPTING OUR MEDICAL SYSTEM, OUR SOCIAL SERVICES, CRIME “AND” TAKING SOME OF OUR EMPLOYMENT AWAY FROM US.

YOU ARE NOT AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT AS OTHERS ARE CALLING YOU.
    Y O U ARE A CRIMINAL AND ARE HERE IN THIS COUNTRY AND SHOULD BE DEPORTED, PERIOD. WHY DO WE O W E YOU ANY OF OUR EARNED RIGHTS AND OUR MONEY NOT COUNTING OUR EMPLOYMENT.

COME INTO OUR COUNTRY AS MILLIONS BEFORE YOU HAVE AND DO IT LEGALLY. LEARN OUR LANGUAGE, OUR CULTURE, AND OUR LAWS. DO NOT EXPECT US TO CONVERT TO YOURS IN ANYWAY. NO MORE BI-LINGUAL SIGNS OR PHONE OPERATORS. ENGLISH ONLY.

OUR PROBLEMS ARE BECAUSE OF OUR POLITICAL SYSTEM MANAGEMENT! ...... OUR POLITICIANS ARE G R E E D Y & P O W E R HUNGRY AND ARE ALWAYS DOING FAVORS FOR THEIR PEERS, FRIENDS OR FAMILY AND EVEN THE COUNTRY OF MEXICO. OUR LAWS NEED TO BE ENFORCED TO PROTECT OUR CITIZENS FROM ANY AND ALL OUTSIDE PROBLEMS AND THREATS. THEY LINE THEIR POCKETS WITH CHEAP ILLEGAL LABOR LOOT AND DO NOTHING ABOUT SOLVING THE PROBLEMS THAT ARE BEFORE THEM.

WE HAVE HAD AN IMMIGRATION SYSTEM THAT HAS WORKED FOR YEARS BUT, GREED TOOK OVER, YOU KNOW, CHEAP LABOR AND THE PROMISE OF VOTES AND MORE VOTES SO OUR LEADERS AND EMPLOYERS COULD MAKE MORE MONEY.

I THINK IT IS TIME FOR AN ACCOUNTING OF MORALS AND VALUES TO ALL THE USA CITIZENS OF THIS GREAT NATION BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

I CARRIED A DRAFT & SS CARD MANY YEARS AND STILL CARRY MY DRIVERS LICENSE, SO WHAT IS THE CARRY PROBLEM?

I’M MAD AS HELL AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY LONGER.
    BY THE WAY,,, ” P C “ IS NOTHING BUT CRAP.

April 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

I do not have a problem with anyone in the world visiting this country. But, when your Visa expires it's time to go back home. However, if you want to stay and work or live permanently then apply for a green card or apply for citizenship. My parents had to do it so why shouldn't everyone else? Every other country in the world has tough immigration laws. Stay over your Visa and you will be deported. Don't carry your passport in a foreign country and if you are asked for it you and can't provide it you will be arrested . You can't even check into a hotel in most European countries without leaving a passport. So why is everyone in an uproar over the institution of laws that are already in effect throughout the world? If your illegall in America then YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED, all others relax and enjoy what the country has to offer.

April 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gary, White Guy From MN

Wow. What a bunch of freakin racsists. You people are an embarrassment to the ideals this country was founded on. BTW, this is NOT your country. Your ancestors stole it from the Native Americans so, in accordance with your values, you should all pack up and leave tomorrow.

April 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rob

Technically, the police can ask you for your identity at any time that they suspect you of doing something illegal. If, however, they have no probable cause to believe that you are doing something illegal, then they are not permitted to ask for identification. What this law does is codify the police ability to request papers for anyone they suspect of being illegal. Does that mean that they'll go ask any brown-skinned people for their papers? Or just the ones on the broccoli farm?

My problem with the law is that it brings us another step closer to a police state. Asking people for their papers is greatly resonant with what the communists were known for doing, and just because today the law is intended to stop illegal immigrants from walking around, that law is one step closer to stopping EVERYONE from walking around. It may sound far fetched to your ears today, but all long journeys begin with a single step.

Chances are good that it will be struck down as unconstitutional (the states are not empowered to enforce the national borders, which is why it's the US Border Patrol and not the Arizona Border Patrol), but the sentiment is still going to exist. Somehow we need to do a better job of enforcing crimes committed by illegal immigrants regardless of country of origin, and for that matter, crimes committed by Americans. To accomplish both, we needn't toss our principles into the sewer.

April 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Endtimes3

Mexico, remeber the Alamo, don't forget

April 27, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Selmers

I AM SO SICK!!! Of hearing the argument of how our food costs will go up if we get rid of illegals!!! STUPID!!! First, are you saying it's okay to exploit illegals? Your argument is "Let them be here illegally so we can exploit them"? ASSININE!! Second, have you ever seen what they get paid to work the fields? That's right! More than minimum wage! Here in Lodi, they get $10/hr! You're telling me legals and American citizens wont work for that?! ASSININE!!!

April 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. N

I've noticed on some posts about "what about the legal people?" This is unfortunately like a whole lot of other things. People who spill hot coffee then sue and now we have HOT COFFEE labels everywhere; people stealing electronics so now when you go buy electronics there are those strips that set off the WalMart alarms each time; showing ID when purchasing items cause of stolen credit cards; a black kid stole a car and now all are "robbers"; What do most think when seeing someone of Middle Eastern descent, cause of the things that've happened?; and the list goes on. Unfortunately, the illegal people are causing a headache for the ones who are legal. They know it's illegal, but when caught, their families are torn. Ummm, unfortunately that was a very risky thing to come here illegally in the first place. You don't walk up to a Mustang on the Ford dealership and drive it off thinking it's yours...that's illegal! You don't go into the supercenter and load a shopping cart, then load your car without paying...that's illegal too! Basically, all the illegal people need to get out of the U.S. Do it the right way...legally.

April 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. An Arizona native with a hispanic heritage

AZ state law already required everyone to carry valid identification. This has been in place for many years. If you are stopped and do not have valid identification you are subject to fine and/or arrest. I am sure many other states have the same requirement.

In AZ, a valid driver's license (or identification card) issued after October 1996 already proves a lawful immigration status as it is a state law to verify lawful immigration status prior to obtaining state issued identification.

I am of Mexican descent and I have the dark hair and dark skin. If the cops stop me I always carry valid photo identification with me as is required by state law. Am I worried about Arizona becoming a fascist state as some people claim? Not at all. If I get stopped and have to produce identification I will do it. I am breaking no laws and have nothing to worry about.

For those in other states objecting to the new Arizona state law, the rule of law creates a society. Any country, state, or city has laws. By residing in that country, state or city you agree to abide by its laws or face the appropriate penalties. Are there families that will be impacted by this new law? Absolutely and I am sure some families will be split apart as people are deported. Is that wrong? No. As a parent how can you teach your children to be obedient if you yourself are not obeying the laws?

April 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Demoshe

Instead of focussing on Racial Profiling, they should spend that money on Hiring Extra Border Guards or Building a Fence!

"Trying to deport 11 million people who are already here is like trying to Abort a one year old toddler" by Demoshe ( Please give me credit for this quote)

April 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sheila

Wow are you all aware that the United States of America was colonized by immigrants. I guess when it is white immigrants it is ok. Is anyone really surprised by Arizona's actions?Do I need to remind everyone that Arizona was the only state to not observed Martin Luther King holiday even though it was a federal hoilday. A man that preached non violence even though white people were violent towards him. The only reason they changed their decision was because Arizona was boycotted. Arizona is a racist state-it has been as always will be.
    Everyone want to act as if America has changed. Oh please. America is the same racist place I was born in 36 years ago.
    And for all you so called patriots, I bet the majority have never served in the military.
    Well I have and even though I have been discriminated against because I am black and a woman I still served and represented my country that has never represented and stood up for me.
    Semper Fi

April 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ronald A.

Right on Arizona! Wish Texas Law makers had a back bone
    Like your GREAT State

April 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100