April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Billy

Hey Crisco,

The issue isn't about moving to a different country. I am a Mexican American born in this country and a U.S. citizen as much as you are. It is more than inconvenient to be asked to prove it. It is a violation of my civil liberties. And for those of you who will rip me as a whiner it is probably because you are white and won't have to deal with it. If you don't believe it sets a scary precedent you are living in a hole. Then we should do the same for all people of Middle Eastern background,

Opinion, you also are missing the point. And most likely not going to be troubled by this. I carry my Driver's license, but unless I am in the middle of commiting a crime, I shouldn't be asked to show it to prove I am American. Get over this RAH RAH proud to be American. I am very proud. Pay my taxes, etc. This is racial profiling. The good news is this will never flys. And for those of you who don't think Brewer did this for political purposes you are smoking something good.

April 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Benj

So many people keep suggesting that this law only affects the illegal immigrants. CORRECTION. This law affects everyone who may "look like a foreign national." If I go for a jog, swim, bike ride, or cut grass in a nice neighborhood (in my own yard despite a dark skin color)...despite being a citizen descended from people from the Mayflower and Jamestown...I could be arrested and interrogated! I GUESS I NEED SWIMMING TRUNKS WITH WATERPROOF POCKETS.

April 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Me

Why do some of you think it's racist to protect our borders?

If I go to Canada I need a passport. If I go to France with my southern drawl they know I'm not from around there and have every right to ask to see my papers.

Once you leave your home turf and enter someone else's turf ILLEGALLY, you put yourself at risk. Now if that travel minister would just tell them to stay home!!

April 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Aaron

Wow, sounds just like every other country in the world. If you are there and you are not a citizen, you can be asked as to your status and reason for being in that country.

April 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

Isnt a Valid US Drivers licence enough to prove legal residence?

April 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sandy

They should do this for ALL foreigners - Middle Easterners, Indians, Pakistanis, South and Central Americans Chinese, Japanese, Europeans - whereever they come from. Then it would be fair and equitable. That would be a better way to secure the borders if that is what we are trying to do.

April 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Eric

Next thing you know they will require Latinos to wear little yellow sombreros on their clothing showing they are "legal". This is wrong

April 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CHRIS NM 505

You dont have to be a legal citizen to get a drivers licence. All the racist people on this thread have no clue what there talking about. AZ just put a big bullseye on thier back. You think you have violence now, just wait until the Mexican cartels start invading your state. There is no law in mexico becasue the dman drug lords run it, which brings me to my point that everyone here is segragating all brown skiined people into one group. The ones causing the violence are the ones that get in and out becasue there paying off our police, politicians, military and so forth. What suprises me is all the ignorant people on this site.

April 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. GB

Hey Mexico! I'm one of the many that has already stopped visiting your country because you don't do enough to protect your tourists from the drug cartels! I haven't been to Mexico since 1998. I think the rest of the U.S. should follow suit.
    At least Gov Brewer is TRYING to do something to protect us.
    Been there, done that, seeyalaytah!

April 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Peter

Raise your hand if your family came here legally and had complete respect for the original occupants of this country? Hmm didn't think so, this is absurd and only strengthens the immigration reform/amnesty agenda

April 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. AT

Idiots. The law says that the cops cant just ask for someone's papers just because – they can only ask for the papers if they have pulled someone over for some other infraction AND have reason to believe the person is here illegally. 70% of people in Arizona now support the law and I bet the majority of Americans would support something like this if this bill was passed in their states. Stop screaming racism – unbelievable. Cannot we not do anything right these days without being called a racist? Several years ago three young lives were ended in a Newark, NJ playground (execution style). It turned out that the murderers were illegal immigrants who were arrested for other crimes and let go each time. The system knew they were illegal and let them go anyway! How could that happen? And this happens all of the time – and it's disgusting. The Federal government isn't doing enough to protect our borders and it's about time that someone took a stand. It's a slap in the face to those immigrants who have jumped through so many hoops to live in this country. This is to protect all of the legal residents in the state of Arizona and I only wish that other states wouldl follow suit. This is coming from someone who is married to a person of Hispanic descent – and he also thinks this is a great law!

April 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. NJTLH

I lived in Japan for 5 years. We were required to our passport with our immigration status everywhere we went. Even if you stepped out of the house for a few minutes to run to a neighbor or to the deli to grab a soda. Or to walk down the street to the public baths in just your bathrobe and slippers. You were subject to being arrested if you didn't have it. You couldn't even go back home to get the passport. Straight to jail. I didn't like it one bit and I was there legally. You were constantly paranoid just because you weren't Japanese. And I was stopped and asked for it several times. Do we really want citizens to feel this way in the US?

April 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mad

Please, please can California jump on that new Law! I am so tired of the free education that all the people from other countries get. If we are American, making a living, we can't afford college so our children must take out student loans. I as a single parent, earn too much money ($72,500 yr) to get assistance with college grants. How fair is that!! Don't get me started with this "I'm going to be targeted because of my color". Get the F over it! We could go on and on about what isn't fair!!

April 27, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ray V

Instead of making "advisory" statements about our U.S. laws, that guy should maybe focus more on the situation in his own country. There is a reason why HIS people come here illegally. That is because of ignorant ministers like him with the focus in the wrong places.

April 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kathy

I have traveled as an American citizen to 28 countries in 4 continents and always carried my passport. I can recall two separate occasions – two different countries in Europe – two different years – when the tour bus I was on got stopped and all of us on the bus (all American citizens) were asked to show our passports. Nothing happened because we all had valid passports. These were just random checks that were made and within a few minutes we were back on the road. I know that if I do not break the law and carry my valid passport, I am fine. Anyone in Arizona who obeys the law and has proper identification will be fine. Governor Brewer is adamant that police will not detain anyone for no reason other than they look Mexican or speak Spanish. She is adamant that police will stop someone and ask for "papers" only if the person has done something to give the police a reason to stop him/her. Walking your dog is not a reason to be stopped as long as you are not trespassing on property, letting your dog defecate on someone's property without cleaning it up, crossing a street illegally, letting your dog bite someone, not smoking a weed as you are walking, etc. Behave, obey the law, be respectful of others and their property and you will be fine. Stop being like Chicken Little. The sky is not falling.

April 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100