April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. chris

Darth Cheney... Please change your name to Neville Olberman.

April 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff

I think it is interesting to note that the majority of people responding negatively to this law are assuming this will be another Nazi whitch hunt.With as much publicity as this issue has generated, do you think there will be random stops of people just because of someone's skin color? If you were in, say, Mexico (and Anglo), I could see this happening because the Federales wanted to shake you down for money. There is no recourse for the individual there when this happens. In the United States, under our current system, the police are very aware that they are the targets of people who look for any reason to sue over the smallest incident. I cannot see them pulling people over "just because." I do think that legal citizens in this country who are of Latino descent will be subject to this happening to them more than an Anglo would. For that reason, I believe that anyone who is detained for just cause should be required to provide proper documentation as to citizenship, or the right to be here legally. That way, we are all treated equal. If you don't do anything to warrant being detained/stopped, you have nothing to worry about. I also think the State solutions need to be in effect until the people who are really responsible for the current illegal immigration issue step up, and fix the situation. Those people would of course be our own Federal government. Please support term limits on all elected officials in office. Real change will not take place in our government until we break the chain of outdated, self serving political representation that currently exists.

April 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CHRIS NM 505

1079– NO as a matter of fact you dont have to be a citezen to get a drivers license.

April 27, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gettysburg67

Hahaha, that's right, If your illegal please stay home. Mexico is so blowing this out of proportion. I guess they don't see an issue with illegal immigration either, heck why should they? Our dumb asses will take care of them. Bet you a million dollars Mexico won't take care of our poor. As if our poor would be desperate enough to go to Mexico for help.

Hey Mehico... you can have em all back. I'm sure your drug lords will take better care of them than we do.

April 27, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bulldog

All I got to say is hurry up TEXAS and follow in Arizona's foot steps. I'm tired of seeing these illegals taken jobs from our hands...Hell it might even get me to vote.

April 27, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DivineChef

Anyone opposed READ THE LAW!
    "The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't."
    This should be a given nation wide. Everywhere in the world police can ask you for ID, paperwork that says you are allowed in the country. When I go to east Europe I have my passport and immigration documents and if I tried to enter or leave without such documentation I'm sure their customs would have a fit.

Of course this gives hispanics and the president of Mexico a reason to whine, complain WAAA WAAA WAAAA. You stay on your side of the border we'll do the same if you're not allowed here legally. If you come illegally and get busted then suffer the consequences.

I think illegals regarless of race/origin should they be caught be put into a labor camp to help build the wall on our border until it's finished!

April 27, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. its a secret

Also, these damn illegals come here have a million damn kids and use our state to pay for there food, child care and they even get cash from our gov so they can sit on there a$$ at home and sell drugs and bring more illegals into our state. When an american goes to mexico and gets arrested WE ARE F%#ked.... but yet our gov and state pays for them and there damn children...... GET A JOB AND GET HEALTH INS, PAY FOR UR OWN DAMN FOOD. The americans who need this assistance get turned down....WTF

April 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. David

Wow, to read all the bigoted comments, with no realization what this law actually means. Has anyone asked what constitutes a reasonable suspicion? In this case it's going to come down to the colour of your skin. Really who do you think will get stopped the group of white illegal immigrants or the legal resident with coloured skin walking ten feet back behind them? The police won't care if the group of whites has papers or not they won't even be checked. How can an officer determine if there is reasonable suspicion from a visual check? Next thing will be an armband or patch for all mexicans living legally in the state. Sound familiar? All this is going to do is violate the rights of minority groups living in Arizona. As for the people complaining about the jobs they are taking, they are doing the jobs that no legal citizen wants to do, farm work, menial labour, they are getting paid a fraction of a minimum wage, and sending most of that back to their families in mexico. They have a better work ethic than most of you complaining do. I've been to the state of Arizona, it's a beautiful state, but I know I won't be visiting it as long as this law is in place, and I'll tell all of my friends not to visit either. This law as it is, is racist and repellent. It's one step on the way to American fascism. I think every American should be appalled by this law. After all it's the same law that nazi germany had against the jews, the same kind of thing that hundreds of thousands of Americans fought and died for in the second world war.

April 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Roberto (Legal)

Mexican government self-righteous hypocrisy is such a joke. I feel sorry for the poor people that they encourage to sneek over here to break our laws and send money back to Mexico, because without it the most corrupt government on the planet would have to figure out how to feed, house, protect, and provide health care for them. Illegals – if you want to help Mexico – stay there, get an education, work hard to improve the economy and provide opportunity for your children, etc. (starting to sound like the "American Dream"?). Your country has resources other than drugs, violence, and poverty to develop and export. Does your Roman Catholic faith condone lying and stealing, because that is what you are doing by entering illegally, and taking resources from our country without paying for them (not paying taxes while demanding free public education, healthcare, welfare payments). My grandparents were immigrants – they applied, waited in line, learned the language and culture, paid taxes, and genuinely wanted to become Americans. You don't – you want the USA to accomodate you on your terms with no regard to our laws while staying Mexican in language, culture, and loyalty. What hypocrisy! Ask the poor from San Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, or Nicaragua when they try to stay in Mexico illegally! They get beaten, killed, and thrown into the hell holes known as Mexican jails( Sherrif Joe's jails are the Ritz Carlton compared to Mexico's!

April 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tom

I am a citizen and if I cant prove who I am I will be detained till I prove I am an American citizen. What is the problem??

April 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mike

Throw all the white illegals out first. If you cannot then you are a racist/nazi like the GOP.

April 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. noko

Police State.
    How many white people are going to be asked to prove they are legal? There are plenty of undocumented Europeans living and working in this country. Ever been to Boston? The illegal Irish are all over. Racism pure and simple.

April 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CHRIS

WELL, I THINK ARIZONA POLICE DEPARMENT NEED TO CONCENTRATE MORE ON THE REAL CRIMINALS THAT ARE ON THE STREET DOING REAL CRIME. IT IS NO ONE'S BUSINESS ABOUT YOUR LEGAL STATUS, UNLESS YOU ARE TALKING TO A BORDER PATROL OFFICER, EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE A LAWYER AND NOT TO SAY A WORD OR SIGN ANYTHING AT ALL. ARIZONA WILL SUFFER FINANTIALLY FROM THE HISPANIC MARKET. I DON'T THINK IT WAS A VERY SMART MOVE FROM ARIZONA GOVERMENT TO AGREE WITH THIS 1070 LAW. THERE WILL BE A LOTS OF PEOPLE FROM MANY RACES AND CREEDS PROTESTING ALL OVER THE USA.

April 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff

So suddenly the police are going to follow the rules? It's been my personal experience, at least here in San Francisco, that the police are going to do what they want, and provide the justification later. When I was younger, I was stopped in a car with a group of friends of varying nationalities, some white, some asian, and we were all pulled out of the car and searched for drugs. No mention was made about justification until the police said we were free to go. I asked why we'd been pulled over in the first place, and the cop looked at his partner and after a pause of a few seconds, said 'we thought you were speeding'.

Now, the police in Arizona are allowed to search anyone they want, and they only have to justify that illegal search after the fact by saying something as inane as 'he/she was acting in a suspicious manner'. That's it. I spent nine years in Arizona, and I can tell you from personal experience, the police there are going to be more than willing to take advantage of the fact that their burden of justification for searching anyone on the street just got dropped to the floor. I sincerely hope this misguided law is thrown out by the courts, because the courts are the only thing standing in the way of conservative abuses of power, as we've seen by the Arizona Legislature. The motives behind the law may be sound(personally, I doubt that, but it's possible), but the way it's being done is making Arizona more of a farce than it already is.

April 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SRT

We have to have our passports ready and available when we as US citizens travel to foreign countries. I don't understand why anybody feels that this should be any different. I am not against anyone coming into the US, lets just make sure they are doing it legally.

April 27, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100