April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. NEHicks

What a bunch of hypocrites! If I go into Mexico, the police can stop me at any time and ask to see my identification. Am I going to complain, NO. You notice, the government of Mexico isn't saying anything about the fact that so many of their citizens are doing everything they can to escape Mexico. Or to denounce all of the Mexican Nationals that are breaking the laws of the United States. They are considering it harassment if the police should stop their citizens. What if they stop me in Mexico – can I go to consulate and complain I am being harassed by the Mexican police? I would be told to not visit Mexico if I didn't like it.

April 27, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CYNTHIA

I AM SO HAPPY THAT ARIZONA IS PUTTING THEIR FOOT DOWN. tHIS IS OUR COUNTRY, AND THEY DONT LIKE IT.. LEAVE. WHO CARES WHAT THE MEXICAN PRESIDENT THINKS, OR OBAMA. HE IS JUST PISSED THAT HE DOSNT HAVE TOTAL CONTROL OVER ARIZONA, LIKE HE WANTS TO CONTROL THE WHOLE PLANET. YOU GO ARIZONA, AND I PRAY HERE IN OKLAHOMA, WE DO THE SAME THING...

April 27, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Craig Ormond

The Mexican goverment is run by a bunch of morons. Year after year for hundreds of years, they haven't found a brain in that country yet to run it. That is why they are still a second-world country. Gee, is Arizona more hostile than Tijuana? Get real. WE need to annex Mexico and run it for them.

April 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Imagoodguy

We Coloradans hate this new law in Arizona. Word on the street is that all illegals in Arizona are being advised to head to Colorado and beyond. Nice. Shift the problem from one state to another. Who do we need to contact in Arizona to get the framework for this new law so it can be put to vote in Colorado and other states? Or maybe the federal government should enact a similar law? Hmmm, what a novel idea. The US Government doing something to protect its borders. Hmmmmmmmm

April 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. pc

see how easy that was. Now Mexico gets the point. Mexico warns their people not the come into the US illegally and if there are legal residents with Mexican nationality, they are told to bring their legal documents. Wow, it's already working! Good job AZ!

April 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. guest

I am an American living and working in a 3rd world country. I respect their laws, and have no issue pulling out my ID when asked. Why? because I am here legally. If illegal immigrants or legal ones as well, dont like how their host country laws works, then just go back to your home country. I dont complain about immigration laws in the host countries I have lived in.

April 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bill

I cross border, poor and broke,
    Take bus, see employment folk.
    Nice man treat me good in there,
    Say I need to see welfare.
    Welfare say, "You come no more,
    We send cash right to your door."
    Welfare checks, they make you wealthy,
    Medicaid it keep you healthy!
    By and by, I got plenty money,
    Thanks to you, American dummy.
    Write to friends in motherland,
    Tell them 'come fast as you can.'
    They come in droves and in Ford trucks,
    I buy big house with welfare bucks
    They come here, we live together,
    More welfare checks, it gets better!
    Fourteen families, they moving in,
    But neighbor's patience wearing thin.
    Finally, white guy moves away,
    Now I buy his house, and then I say,
    "Find more illegals for house to rent."
    And in the yard I put a tent.
    Send for family they just trash,
    But they, too, draw the welfare cash!
    Everything is very good,
    And soon we own the neighborhood.
    We have hobby - it's called breeding,
    Welfare pay for baby feeding.
    Kids need dentist? Wife need pills?
    We get free! We got no bills!
    American crazy! He pay all year,
    To keep welfare running here.
    We think America darn good place!
    Too darn good for the white man race.

April 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. noko

When they start asking everyone for papers. I'll shut up.

April 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. king taco lol

@ 1073,why would they want them back?Because,they work here,make money,and send it all home,then the family in mexico spends it,its win win for mexico.Indians versus Mexicans=No Comparison,Native Americans are Native Amercians,not mexicans,the spanish,from spain intermingled and thus=a mexican was born..

April 27, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Billy

I'm on my side of the border DIvine Chef...America, just like you. I just happen to be Mexican American. I am not crying racist. But it does set an ugly precedent. And this argument will continue because it is a firestorm. Just like you think everyone protesting this is crying racsim, everyone who isn't protesting this is saying we need to protect Americans. Both sides are rushing to the extreme. The argument of if you are here legally doesn't fly. This was enacted in Arizona targeting Mexicans. If you were to go to a Canadian border state, should we target Middle Eastern's? I mean, that is how they came across the border for 9/11. Yes, that is extreme but I am trying to make a point. The law doesn't call it out, but this ABSOLUTELY targets a specific ethnicity. I agree we need to secure the border. And I am more supportive of more border patrol or even the Berlin Wall. But this is a dangerous path. And cries hypocricy for everyone calling Obama a Socialist. Hmmmmmm, which direction is this going?

April 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SANDOR

We live in a country where everyone has migrated, except for native americans everyone else has come from another country wether legally or not... this infringes on our civil rights, opens the door for typecasting, stereotyping, racial profiling, and pigeonholing. The same way we singled out people wearing turbans in 911. We need to break these racial barriers. The focus here seems to be on Mexicans otherwise why Arizona? States like California and Florida have similar issues with immigrants and they deal with them accordingly without the need of Misguided laws in practice. By the way I am a Legal Citizen of this wonderful country and I will refuse to answer any questions of my Legality and would be insulted if ever questioned by a cop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Breeze

I dont understand why this is such a big deal?!! So a police officer has the right to ask you to see your paperwork stating you are a legal resident of the United States, why would that be considered harrassment? Its a simple question and if you are legally in this country then there should be no issue. Honestly, people are blowing this way out of proportion, This is not an issue, if you are illegal then you shouldnt be here, if your own country is that horrible then get your greencard and become a legal citizen. I dont understand why these people want to stay here illegally? If you like it here, then there should be nothing wrong with getting your legalization papers and learning to speak english. I would never go over to lets say Russia and expect all of the Russians to speak English for me and let me stay there without becoming a legal citizen of Russia, I would be shot to death right where I stood making such a request. This is only an example I have no idea what Russia's laws are when it comes to people from other countries living there. But I know they wouldnt cater to me. I would be forced to learn thier language and obtain legality or I would be made to leave. I give the Governer of AZ a lot of credit, it took a lot to finally stand up to pass a law like this, and honestly we should all have it, there is absolutely NO reason you should be in this country illegally!!

April 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nat

Seriously people this doesn't at all sound a little bit like how things started out in Nazi Germany. Not a bit facist... not a bit like a police state. I guess it is easier to blame mexicans for your problems you dumb hillbillies.

April 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. north of 49th

SHORT AND SWEET COMMENT....LEGAL IS LEGAL OTHERWISE GET OUT EH!!!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jvob

Germany had problems with their immigrant population until they came up with a plan to rid themselves of the illegals. "show me your papers"

Maybe we can send the illegals to some kind of camp, where they can do work for the society, until we find an ultimate solution for the problem.

Those who are not citizens but are in the country working legally should just have to wear gold stars so they aren't confused with illegals.

April 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100