April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Lina L.

I don't quite agree with the law because there could be issues of racial profiling, but on the other hand I do believe something has to be done regarding Illegals. I'm a first generation Immigrant, I came here legally in 1997, I served 6 years in the Army, I am proud to be an American.
    I have worked in hospitals,welfare department and other agencies.
    I am sick and tired of illegals who come here to have anchor babies,get their labor and delivery paid with emergency medicaid(Your tax dollars),their children keep getting medicaid(your tax dollars) until age 18. Oh and if you get pregnant and Illegal feel free to get WIC, (women, infants and children) that gives you coupons for food. Not to mention all their Illegal children get to go to school for free( paid by your tax dollars)...
    Come on America it is time to wake up! It is time to secure our borders,I really don't know if a reform is the solution,. But I do know if the US did not have all this free programs and education was only for legal citizens a good amount of those opeople would not come here to milk the sistem.

April 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CHRIS NM 505

What dont you damn people understand. A US drivers licence is not going to be enough proof. If the cop wants to be an a-hole then your butt is going to jail. White folks should be scared too as they will also need to carry papers at all times becasue the az governer said racial profiling is a no no....yeah right.

April 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marvin

I dont know why all the spanish americans are making so much of this.I am an american and I get pulled over all the time because im a biker.Do I care!No!If youre legal then you have nothing to worry about.Unless you have family members here that are illegal and youre scared they will get deported.Keep in mind that there were no mexicans when the first 12 colonies were established.But youre feeling youre rights are being violated .How about the us citizen whos looking for work and cant find any because companies have illegals working for them at reduced wages.Keep the law going because the federal goverment doesnt want to do anything because they want reelected.

April 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jim

Most of you are xenophobic Nazi’s. I hope you all get your wish. I would love nothing more to watch as you and your love ones are persecuted for being different, but then there will probably just be Rush's and Sarah's like you all. Welcome back Nazism! Gosh we sure wish we had you here sooner, then we wouldn't have the black, Latin, gay, Asian, Jewish, Arab, non-white problems we've been having...

April 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. N

@CYNTHIA
    We, Oklahoma, did in 2007.

April 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ballantine

I'm going to Russia in August. I have to submit my passport to a Russian Embassy/Consul to get a visa before I can enter the country. Problem? No. Its common sense. Same with Mexicans entering the US. Enter legally. No problem. Enter illegally, yo' dude, you should have a problem. And no passport? You have un problemo.

April 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jimmy

Stacy 1118 when telling someone to learn English it helps to use proper English. "If you not illegal"?

April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. oli

oh by the way, way to be rascist. is there anyone or anything republicans don't like to screw over.

April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CERO

GO TO IMMIGRATIONCOUNTER.COM TO SEE A LIVE COUNT OF HOW MUCH ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS COSTING AMERICA.

April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cindy

I am completely amazed that Arizona had to create a NEW LAW to enforce the OLD LAW. Why are we called racisit when the USA decides to start inforcing the law? Please, those are the same people who do NOT take responsibility for THEIR own actions which is one of the biggest problems we have in our country. You can't please everybody so grow up, get over it and obey the FREAKING LAWS!!!!

(case in point)

Linda K Senes – blamed everything on the US not once did this person take ANY responsibility for herself including her spiritual life. REALLY?

April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DeeBird

Maria is under the impression she needs a passport to get into Canada. Not so. She heeds her passport to return to the United States. Picture ID (driver's license) is all that's needed to get into Canada from the U.S.

April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John Boy

The Governor was surrounded by an all white municipal service personnel. It just aint right....you think those same heads of department will promote qualified Mexcians to work side by side with them throwing out all illegall Canadiiens from the coutnry and back to Mexico.

April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JustStupid

For all of you who seem to think ILLEGAL is ok.

Send me your address I know some people who would LOVE to
    visit your house and OF COURSE THEY WOULD DO IT ILLEGALLY BUT THAT SEEMS TO BE OK WITH YOUR RIGHT!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. its a secret

***yezmani*** OK NOW IN ENGLISH PLEASE......WHAT R U TRYIN TO TELL US.....I THINK U NEED SOME ROSETTA STONE

April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Paul

What a joke! Mexico warning people about travel safety. The bottom line is illegals have no rights. They are here illegally. Finally a State did something. I personally want to see the National Guard at the Mexican border with a "shoot to kill" order. The rest of the illegals need to be rounded up and shipped south.

April 27, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100