April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Ana

Why wouldnt you just make a law for all illegals? just Mexicans? pretty effin racist to me!!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. MATT DENVER CO

IN REPONSE TO WEST VALLEY DAVE: Travel advisory? If you come here legally you've got nothing to worry about. If you come here illegally then you 1) take your own life in your own hands and can succumb to the desert, bandits, etc or 2) be jailed if you are found being here illegally. Do yourselves a favor... STAY HOME!
    """"""""
    travel advisory: as in, here legally, on vacation, etc.. it's a warning that the law may harass you, MORE CERTAINLY without cause. It's like you go to Canada and.. OMG YOU'RE AN AMERICAN! 99.99% CHANCE YOU'RE ILLEGAL IN MY OPINION! STOP HIM! BOTHER HIM! FRISK HIM FOR PAPERS!
    DAVE, HARASSMENT IS THE KEY HERE FOR SIMPLY BEING LATINO. DON'T BE SO NARROW MINDED

April 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JD

@ Linda K Senses
    " If you are not white, male, and affluent in this country you are nothing. "
    That's funny, because as a white male, who is affluent in this country, I am extremely discriminated against. Nobody cares though because we haven't "suffered" and been "held back". Have you ever gotten a rejection to a college, or 17 scholarships with a 4.26 GPA because you weren't a minority? Because I have. Go ahead and try to reject an African American of a scholarship solely based on race, see the response that gets. You'd have more attention than Arizona SB1070.

April 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mat

Since a passport is not required for border crossings from Canada or Mexico into the US, how would a legal visitor prove his status?

And yes, we need a passport when we fly to other countries, but I don't need one when i drive to Mexico or Canada. And I am not required to show my passport walking down the street. In fact, I'm advised NOT to carry it so I don't lose it.

And this really has nothing to do with illegal immigrants. The problem with this law is that it violates the constitutional rights of all Americans by requiring them to carry proof of citizenship. In fact, it is within the Constitutional rights of an American to refuse to provide identification. So, what's to say a white guy isn't here illegally from Canada or the UK? it opens the state up to charges of racial profiling. I hope every American citizen that is asked for papers refuses, then sues.

April 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rob

re: @ John Faison...that appiles to citizens of these United States of America and those protections should apply to those of us that will follow those rules...

April 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Buzz Lightyear

Reight On Arizona. Allus gut!

April 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jack

No American citizen is requirerd to carry identification.
    In Kolender v. Lawson (1983) a California statute that required "credible and reliable" identification be carried was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

Writing the for the majority, Justice O'Connor said, the law "furnishes a convenient tool for `harsh and discriminatory enforcement by local prosecuting officials, against particular groups deemed to merit their displeasure,'" and "confers on police a virtually unrestrained power to arrest and charge persons with a violation."

April 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carla

If the cops stop you repeatedly just b/c you look like an Illegal immigrant, How many times do you think it will take until you feel its becoming a problem? I am a US citizen and its obvious to travel internationally you need a passport. I don't think to drive around my neighborhood I need to carry my US passport just to show proof I belong there.

April 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. shaun

all you have to do is just stay out of our country like you should and the world would be a better place. its not our fault you cant govorn your country and have a bad economy. it your kind wouldnt commit so much crime we probably wouldnt do this.

April 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. D

They really need to spend a month where we drive out all illegals from our country. Like a big cattle heard and drive them accross the border back to their country that they love so much..We love our brown friends but the illegal situation is making us hate brown people, legal or not.

April 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mike

that is brilliant, it must be Bush!!

if you do not have the facts and want to inject a Liberal perspective, B-O-B !!
    or
    Chinton
    Bush
    Regan
    Carter
    Ford
    Nixon
    etc....................

April 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fair is fair

I guess this means anyone can be asked for documentation. Even non-Mexican citizens. . If I were a police officer in Arizona, I would ask Mccain for proof of residency. I hope Mccain has his passport with him at all times. This bill puts everyone under suspicion of being illegal and all are subject to verification. All US citizens are supposed to be treated equally in the United States. Except if you are Mexican!!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kim in SC

First off I am white. This law is the first step towards a community or a society becoming a police run state (ie: Hitler's Germany era.....which the Allies had to give lives in order to stop it's existence.) We were considering moving to Arizona for health and family reasons BUT now maybe we'll talk our son in to moving back here.
    You don't really beleive that law enforcement is going to stop all the Chinese, Vietmanese, Indonesian, Korean, Pakistani, East Indian, British, Russian, Canadian etc people on the street to see if they are legal do you????? Get real !!!! This is all about Mexican people.
    The people who were fortunate enough to be born here should stop and give thanks for living in a country that has so far been desirable to live in ...I wasn't born here but I legally live here....You can't tell by looking at me where I was born anymore than you can tell where ANYONE in Arizona was born. USA is mostly about living in a relatively free society...(technically speaking there is no such thing as a Democracy) I don't blame the Mexican gov't for posting there notice....People in Arizona are going to be stopped to show ID by what they look like, otherwise they would have to stop everyone....maybe check points like they have in some countries will be the next brilliant idea they will come up with in Arizona.

April 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Steve

I challenge the Mexican government to name any country on Earth, including itself, that most ignores the fact people that enter illegally and have broken the law by doing so. Further, these people can take advantage of the country's education and health/welfare systems. Actually, I can only think of one. America. I suspect that If I illegally entered Mexico and had a child, she/he wouldn't be enrolled in the nearest mexican public school and given 2 free meals per day.

Travel advisory? How about it reads this way: The United States will now be enforcing it's laws (like we do). Be careful.

April 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lastsmile4me

It is about time we Americans stood up for what we believe.Why is it that our country is the only one on this planet that allows undocumented citizens to be here. Good for Arizona for standing up for what they believe. Enough is enough. Yea our country was buit by immigrants, but it is the undocumented ones that are hurting our country. If you don't like the way we run things in the USA then by all means feel free to leave.

April 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100