April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. jpc

Pardon me, pardners, but if you've travelled overseas (especially the Middle East) it is not unusual to have an officer ask for your papers. It's a fact of life. Live with it. Becoming legal is not that difficult.

April 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JohnL

I think its funny that the guy or gal from comment #228, is last name is Whitey, or Whittey same thing...

April 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Gary

I didn't see the Mexican Foreign Minister discussing the Mexcian laws that allow Mexican police to ask for proof of legal entry for no reason at all. I have been asked for ID several times in Mexico when I am just walking around. I showed my passport with legal entry visa and continued on my way. What's the problem?

April 27, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JIm

In April of 1774, half a mile from my house, a small group of armed men stood their ground as British forces approached in the early morning hours with malicious intent. It was the will of the people that stood up to the will of the authorities. Fate would turn that particular day into the beginning of a revolution that would change the face of not only the eastern seaboard but the world. And a nation was born that we now proudly call The United States of America. Shame on Washington politicians who are willing to turn a blind eye to the problems of Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas. We don't want the culture of Juarez Mexico spilling over into our country. We DO want LEGAL immigration. There is no room for dialogue on illegal immigration. This is a case of Obama do your job or we will. THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE ALWAYS SUPERCEDES THE WILL OF THE AUTHORITIES. In this case I assume that Arizona would drop its law if Washington did its job. The DEFENSE DEPARTMENT, by definition, is to defend OUR borders not Iraq's.

April 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ChicagoGrad

The only real problem with this law is that it allows cops to harass anyone that looks "foreign." I think the defenders of this law would quickly change thier mind if white people could be detained and questioned. Make no mistake, legal residents and even citizens are going to lose their jobs because they are late for work because some cop wanted to question them, they will be late for appointments, miss job interviews, and the list goes on and on. It's easy for white people to say nobody except illegals should have a problem with it, because they are not going to be the ones getting constantly harassed. If white people were the ones that are going to have to leave early for any important appointment to allow for harassment time, they would be shouting at the top of their lungs that this was unconstitutional. Anyone that supports this law is racist, plain and simple.

April 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. OpenTheGoldenDoor

Judging by the comments I've read here, Jingoism is alive and well in the U. S. of A. I don't care. We have a lot of stupid laws (and lawmakers) here. As for me, I don't care if you're legal or illegal, I want my lawn cur and my vegetables picked cheaply. If you want to work, we have work for you to do.

April 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lynnvan

Unless you can come up with a SOLUTION to end the illegal alien activities which have take over a large populous of the area, stop with the uneducated opinions as to the legality of a state to protect it's legal citizens, If you are not part of the solution, you too are a part of the problem. I applaud Arizona's new law and welcome it to the world communities of which this is the norm for ANY visitor to carry appropriate papers. If I go to Germany illegally, much less take one of their jobs, I will go to jail. period. If I am there legally, I have no problem showing my papers. Stop whining you flaming liberals. You will be the long term demise of this country's safety with your crazy liberal attitudes,
    God Bless America and ALL of her laws.

April 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. David B.

I bet this law will be challenged and found to be too vague. That is anyone can be targeted because of their looks. AZ is a backward state- I live here and wished the housing mkt would pick up so I could move. I am as white as a ghost btw. This is the state that did not want to recognize MLK day either. It is full of rednecks lacks culture and they can keep it. The weather attracts many because of the sunshine but even with that try going out in the summer- if it were any hotter it would be hell. Can't wait to move.

April 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Craig

letitia, you are a bitch.

April 27, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mr. Steve

No one will be stopped or questioned because of skin color. If you are stopped for breaking a law, like running a red light – and you get pulled over and show your valid Mexican drivers license (which is invalid in the U.S) you might be asked to show you are here legally. If you show your Arizona drivers license, there is less of a chance to be asked to show your green card. If you speak English, you will be less likely asked for your green card. If you have U.S. plates on your car, you will be less likely to be asked for your green card. If you have proof of U.S. valid insurance, you will be less than ... you get the point.
    If you have Sanora plates, no ID, don't speak English, and have no address, you will likely be questioned as to your residency status.
    Truth is, Mexico doesn't want the illegals back in their country. They are happy to get rid of them. Most are illegal for a reason. And don't give me that "They're just trying to better their life, .." stuff.
    Before you open your mouth, look at the statistics of crime in Tucson, AZ. Compare the number of "legal" criminals to the "invaders" and you will see a STRONG leaning towards crimes committed by "invaders" out numbering the "good citizen" criminals. You know what happens if you're caught in AZ illegally? You get a bus ride to the border so you can start over again.
    Wanna see something really interesting? Google Yuma, AZ and school bus and border students. There is no security. There is control. It is all an illusion. Like the Texas Mayor said, "Arm yourselves".
    It's not an immigration issue. Immigration is a legal process. This is a trespassing issue. Just ask that rancher's family in Douglass who lost their husband/father to an illegal border crosser.
    Oh, and screw you SF! We don't want your kind here any way 🙂

April 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. yezmani

"ITS A SECRET' what i was trying to say is that all u stupid racist white trashy people should go to hell.

April 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Buck12

I don't get all these people who are mad...if you're legal then you shouldn't worry. If you get pulled over show your damn papers and get on with your day. If you don't have papers go back across the border because you shouldn't be here to begin with. It's about time a southwestern state cracked down on our huge immigration problem.

April 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jimmy

former state employee 1174. OK so you can tell if someone has an accent. Is it illegal to speak with an accent? I should let gov Schwarzeneger know he needs to carry his papers when in Arizona. Or is it just bad to have a "Mexican" accent? But hey we all can't be perfect.

April 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

I agree that people entering the country should have to present their papers, and should be here legally, but that is not the issue. The issue is being in the country and being constantly made to prove you are here legally based on racial & ethnic heritage. It's pretty obvious that citizenship is not required to obtain a driver's license (and if it is, people get around that pretty easily). Maybe all of us should carry our passports and birth certificates with us. Then the police can do random stops of everyone, whites, blacks, asians, males, females, christians, jews, muslims (insert whatever other group here). Only then will this be a fair law.

April 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Adios Amigos

I hope GA passes a law like this one. Get those f'ing basterds the hell out of the south, and up there with them tree hugging yankees that love 'em so much.

April 27, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100