April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. CHRIS NM 505

If we get rid of the drug cartels then we get rid of the violence. Where did my last comment go CNN?

April 27, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Adios Amigos

The reason illegals are not here complaining is simple: they cannot read and write in English. THat is part of the problem to begin with.

April 27, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TammyB

A lot of people are "profiled" everyday....case in point: my son-in-law, who is white, riding his bicycle home from where he works late at night (Pizza Hut) was pulled over by the police and they demanded to see his ID, which he didn't have. They brought him home and made him get his ID (State issued) while his bicycle had to stay where they picked him up at. He was "profiled" for being young (19 years old), riding a bicycle after 11:00 pm at night. I know many white people who have been stopped because they looked "suspicious", long-hair stoner types. Those who believe that racial profiling is the only profiling that exists then you are naive. But you don't see every biker, long-haired stoner type looking, young, white, female, male, crappy car riding person demonstrating and yelling about discrimination!

April 27, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JACKIE RUBIO

I WAS BORN HERE AND JUST CUS IM OF HISPANIC DESCENT THEY CAN STOP ME AND HARRASS ME.FIRST THEY HARRASS YOUNG HISPANICS AND NOW ALL HISPANICS WILL BE HARRASSED. ARIZONA MUST BE RAN BY THE KLAN SOON IT WILL BE AN ALL WHITE STATE. I KNOW ONE THING IM STAYING OUT OF ARIZONA. DONT GET TO TANNED NOW OR THEYLL BE STOPPING YOU TO! ALWAYS A REASON JUST TO HARRASS.

April 27, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Laura

I am proud of our Governor for signing the Immigratrion Bill ! This whole illegal problem has been ignored for too long. If you are not in this country legally, you don't have anything to worry about. If I go to another country, I carry my papers with me, so what is the problem? The problem is that the illegals have been slithering into this country thru every little tube and tunnel and there are so many here, they are scared because finally, something is going to control this problem. The legal Americans do not need the illegals to be in this country..we can make it without them, so don't be stupid..The whole thing in a nutshell is.., if you want to come iinto this country do it LEGALLY..not ILLEGALLY..which is against the law..if you choose to do it Illegally, then you made the decision to be questioned and deported..plane and simple...If you made a decisiont to steal a social security number to work in this country, You made the decision to do somethng against the law..its all your decision. So quit blaming others, quit making excuses and abide by the laws of this country...The Mexican government can threaten us all they want..this is America, Not Mexico..if I go there, I abide by their laws and rules, should we expect any difference from their people? I applaud Arizona's governor...finally someone is taking a real stand for this country and this problem....Live in Arizona folks and see what we see every day...this is America..speak English, pay your taxes, pay for your health care..the illegals are using and abusing this country...I will stand by any person who is honorable to do what is takes to be a legal resident/citizen of this country and I will not hesitate to turn in someone who is not....there is no gray area with this hugh proble of Illegal Immigration.

April 27, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AYKM

I'm very happy that at least one Governor has some cajones. I believe in giving people a chance,but when someone illegally comes into a country do'nt be surprised if they are looked at in a suspicious manner.What do you think would happen if we had as many people go to Mexico and ignore their laws and rules? We would end up in Mexican jail and they don't treat thier prisoners NEARLY as good as we treat ours.If they are here legally and follow our laws and rules and pay the taxes then good on them if not we don't want you here.

April 27, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jose

It has been plainly stated that no one will be stopped because of there color.

There are those that are spredding fear that this will happen.

Guess what? It will happen. But it will only be from a few racist cops, and most will be caught. Even some who are racist will not pull people over because of race since this is such a big issue and everyone will be watching.

People are trying to play the 'race' card just for this purpose. So don't let them scare you into thinking you will be asked for id and possibly arrested because you are Latino. There are more than enough people crying about this race issue for it not to happen that much, if at all.

All possible racist issues concerning the police will be delt with quickly and harshly.

No one has to be worried about racial profilling until it actually happens, and again, it would be in all the media and blown out of purporsion even if it was just one incedent, and would be taken care of immediatlly.

Stop crying racism for everything and scareing others just to get your way. Yes, it does happen, but it is not that big of a problem anymore and is usually taken care of quickly.

I have friends of all colors and would scream as loud as anyone if they were not treated fairly because of race.

I have not seen masses of people being pulled over for being illegal due to racial profiling, this law has not even been enforced yet......... You should not say that the police, (and they are individuals to), are going to pull you over illegally when it hassn't even happened yet. Just wait and see if there are a few bad policemen and take care of them if they commit a crime(racial profiling) and let the good police who protect all of us do there job.

April 27, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Zapata

I am a Mexican American US Citizen and have been stopped and questioned by police for looking suspicious. I live in a good neighborhood in the Chicago Northwest Suburbs, but because of how I look I am a suspect, even though I have a Graduate degree and work in a fortune 100 organization. I have no criminal history

It just goes to show that no matter how much we as a country advance, there are always those individuals that are ignorant to what we as American cherish

April 27, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. YouCantStopUs

@1279, here is my address so you can pass it along 9505 Meredith Ave Omaha NE 68104. I'll be here until I decide to leave. MUAHAHAHAHA!

April 27, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pugman1952

7% of Arizona's population is illegal people breaking the law. Many have no car insurance, health insurance, cost the state an estimated 1 billion dollars a year to educate, and any pay no taxes. Arizona has a right to be mad and I for one think other states should do the same

April 27, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Colton

BREAKING NEWS: Georgia immediately rushed a similar law into effect through a worm-hole (a very fast loophole) that requires all African descendants to carry papers proving their citizenship or be arrested! Word is Berlin was one of the first states to experiment with such a law for the Juden from the South, kinda remember that one? Yeah, all hell broke loose..

THE ARIZONA LAW IS ANTI-AMERICAN.......PERIOD.

April 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Carlos

Congratulations to Arizona!!

If you are here legally, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I'm hoping we do the same in Texas where I live. Yes I'm Mexican but I worked my way to citizenship in this wonderful welcoming country. I love both Mexico and the US and I totally agree with Arizona. Why is it that is somehow OK to be an illegal immigrant? What in the world? Under Mexican law, it is a felony to be an illegal alien in Mexico. So why can't we do it here? Why is it that Guatemalans and Salvadoreans are treated so bad and actually killed if seen trespassing into Mexican territory? What a mess. I hope all US states adopt the same laws that Arizona is enacting! Good job! Become legal and become honest. You cannot pretend to be honest and reputable and at the same time be here illegally!

April 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jesus

seems to me that this is only targeting anyone that is latino. There are illegals that are white and black from other countrys that have stayed past there visa, but will they be targeted...no because they dont LOOK illegal. this law is just racial profiling

April 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Publius

So Mexico is advising Mexicans not to go to Arizona, So is what's the down side to this?
    Many are now viewing the news media as nothing more than the lap dogs for the corrupt despotic unconstitutional government

April 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wal-Mexico

I live in Arizona and am becoming enraged by my right to speak English. Instead of walking into a Wal-mart here you might as well be walking into a Wal-Mexico. How about they learn to speak English instead of the Americans learning to speak Spanish? Because of my ethnicity, I look mexican and am spoken to everyday in Spanish. When I explain I don't speak spanish, they call me rude names and sometimes give me the finger. I say get them out!

April 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100