April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Eric

Let us not forget how cheap we can buy foods at our local grocery stores. How do you think we can do this? If farmers hire only citizens, the prices of foods and agricultural goods will skyrocket to pay for a more costly work force. I'm not saying that I support this system of exploitation, I'm merely pointing out the fact that seasonal agricultural workers are a major portion of the unseen backbone that allows an American kid to work at Starbucks and not have to put in a days worth of serious labor in a field.
    How much do you think an iPhone would cost if the mine workers in Africa were paid a decent wage? $1000? $2000? Please don't become blinded to underlying reality by the mere connotations that are fueled by news networks spinning the truth. I have read comments from both sides of the isle on this forum and I find it hard to imagine that so many people can actually believe that such a complicated issue can be thought about and discussed in sound bytes.
    Disguising racists attitudes and idealisms under the auspices of law in an attempt to stop illegals from living in this country will increase profiling and probably turn neighbors against each other. The world will soon be running out of clean drinking water, oil, and other vital natural resources and we care about where someone is from? We are all from the same planet. We are a tiny blue globe all alone out here in our portion of space. With all the technology we have we should focus less on greed and division and work to build a world we can all live in... together.

April 27, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Laura

I also think that the United States needs to close the Mexican/American Border for at least 6 months until the New Bill gets all worked out between the Sheriff, Hiway Patrol, ICE and Border Patrol....just close the border...

April 27, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Foley

It's about time! As an Ariizona residient I am sick of Mexicans coming accross the border illegally. Some of the comments posted are so ignorant, like why don't we check the Europeans. WHAT??? A European can't get on a plane without a passport and visa, or perhaps you are suggesting they will just swim accross the Atlantic. Wise up people, legal immigration is a process that everyone should have to go through if they are in our country.

April 27, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. misands

I think I'll be skipping on visiting Arizona anytime soon. Considering that I have a flag for Costa Rica, Brazil and Great Britian on my car (all counties I have visited), I guess I would be a prime target for them to pull over, even though I am American. Carrying my passport seems a little silly, but perhaps that would be ideal when visiting AZ. When I was in my early 20's, some states wouldn't serve me a beer because I had an out-of-state license, so your driver's license might not be enough.

April 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steph

Arizona can do as they wish, it's your state your revenue, your problem.While that is a very tru statement... here's another: I will spend my money elswhere, we where booked for a trip to Arizona, my parents wanted to tour the Grand Canyon, I just canceled, I have to take enough grief to cross the border LEGALY and now run the risk of being profiled becouse I'm not blond enough? my money is as green as anyone elses, I can spend my money elswhere. so good for you, and great for me, I changed my plans to go to Paris, they like my money there.

April 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ahmed mustafa

i think it is economic reason. now that economy is so bad, unfortunately and sadly so many out of work, earlier the menail jobs were pre-destined for illegals, now that we have a big legals who can do the same job very eagerly, let us get rid of the illegals. before it was economy driven to tolerate illgels, and now it is economy again to intolerate illegals.
    clinton was right, it is the stupid -economy!

April 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. JustStupid

How many of you people crying racism Live off the US government (namely the rest of us who are paying taxes and holding down non-pensionsed jobs?

So if you are living off the Government Teat maybe you need to sit down and shut up.

April 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sgt Death

this isnt a complicated law..

If you are legal, you must carry your papers.. this is NO DIFFERENT than any other US citizen.
    every, and i repeat, EVERY US citizen must carry some form of identification.
    1. Drivers Lisc.
    2. ID Card
    3. Military ID
    4. Passport

in order to obtain one or more of those forms of ID, you must posses:
    1. Birth Certificate
    2. Social Security Card

so, whats the problem??? racial profiling agaisnt hispanics?
    aww... well then move to a different state then.
    Yes, im sure there will be a majority of hispanics that will be pulled over and questioned for no other reason other than to verify immigration status. again.. get use to it or move.

really, this is no different than any other person in the US. you can be asked for your ID for no reason by any state or federal officer.

as for illegals.. you are not a US citizen, therefore, you have no rights other than basic human rights, which will be provided as you are deported. im sure you will have a nice comfy bed ( well softer than the desert dirt) a couple of meals and free transportation to YOUR HOME, which is not here in the US.

so really people.. where are you confused on this? this is a good law. i hope it succeeds ten fold!

April 27, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CTB

THE PEOPLE WHO FIND THIS LAW WRONG, APPARENTLY ARE NOT LIVING NEXT DOOR TO THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE DISCUSSING. FIFTEEN PEOPLE IN A 3 BEDROOM HOUSE, DO NOT TAKE CARE OF ANYTHING. TRASH EVERY WHERE. CARS PARKED EVERY WHERE. SOFA, WASHING MACHING, DRYER SITTING IN THE YARD. IT'S TERRIBLE. THE YARD NOT CARE FOR, YOU TRY TO TELL THEM TO PICK THE TRASH, AND CUT THE LAWN. "NO SPECK ENGLISH" THIS GOES ON FOR 6 MONTHS. THEN A NEW BUNCH MOVES IN. AND THE TRASH IS COMPOUNDED THEY DEVALUE NOT ONLY THE HOUSE AND PROPERTY BUT THE NEIGHBOR TOO. I'VE LIVED NEXT TO THIS CRAP FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS, I'M SICK OF IT, YEAH FOR AZ FOR DOING SOMETHING, WAKE UP MARYLAND.

April 27, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Donna Poole

Can we take a break here for a minute. Is it not already a law that an adult it supposed to have a form of ID on them when they are in public places? This is nothing that any legal citizen would be glad to do. We also need to make sure that the person working next to us legally doing so and not taking a job away from an American Citizen. Good Job AZ

April 27, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Elisa Harvie

Interesting how no one seems to address two very important issues. One HOW do mostly uneducated Mexicans manage to cross the border illegally by the thousands?? WHO gets bribed to let them in? Secondly, if employers were fined for hiring illegals they would NOT come. Let's face the truth: Most companies want cheap labor and do not want to pay benefits. What would restaurants do without all the bus boys? What would agriculture do without all the fruit pickers? Not to mention the hotels, etc. etc.

This ongoing probolem could have been solved long ago if only the illegals were just not allowed to work unless they could prove they were here legally.

As to racial profiling, face it there is NO way around it. If you're here legally there is nothing to worry about! I just wish this law would be passed in ALL states!

April 27, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JustStupid

Hey Steph

as brilliant as you sound I do hope you stay home

you appear to have no Idea of what you are saying

April 27, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BORN.HERE

Do you all self called Americans actually believe that this bill will stop us of coming to the USA illigealy?? If so you are WRONG; we will get cought today and we will be here
    tomorrow again LOL LOL. This will cost millions of dollars to all of Arizona's tax payers on law suits and training officers, it will not cost a penny to illegals as we DO NOT PAY taxes, then we will laugh harder HAHAHAHAHAHA

CATCH US IF YOU CAN ... LMAO LMAO LMAO

April 27, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JAB

Peter Dailey, you too are an idiot. Please shut up, your only making yourself look stupid.

April 27, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jimmy

all of america 1240, I would say 99 percent of the people 'complaining' are American Citizens! Illegals have no reason to complain but American citizens have rights. WE DO NOT WANT TO GIVE UP OUR RIGHTS BECAUSE YOUR BACKWATER BOOTIE IS RACIST!

April 27, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100