April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. victim of democrat hypocrisy

Cool. Now could we institute the same law in California and get Mexico to issue a warning for us, too?

April 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. maql

I am sure that all the people happy with this will also be willing to pay 300 dollars to get their yard work done, 15 dollars for a hamburger and a 50-75% incresase in theirrestaurant bill to pay for all the illegal workers preparing the food!

April 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jafet

The whole Arizona Bill is just a whole racial profiling bill. I mean they midas well call it that. With Obama an [African American] in office you best believe Conservatives are going to start fearing minorities. Things are starting to change and Conservatives hate that but they midas well get use to it.

April 27, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dave

When I lived in Southern California, I was surprised at the extent of anti-Mexican bias. People who would never, repeat never, make a comment that was racist, or that disparaged gay people, would go on and on about the perceived threats and evils of Mexican people. Every Mexican was waiting for the opportunity to break into your house and car. Mexicans are here to take things away from us.

This never made any sense to me. The chief beneficiaries of illegal Mexican labor are ... American consumers who can buy goods at cheap prices. Illegal Mexican labor means that it doesn't cost as much to go out to eat, that you can buy a bin of strawberries for $2.50 at the grocery store even though they must be picked by hand, and that you can hire day laborers for $10/hour at Home Depot. Who pays for this? Well first and foremost the Mexicans pay, because they're working without OSHA, Social Security, or Worker's Comp. Or the practical ability to call the police.

In light of this deep seated prejudice, a law that targets the new slaves for a special, hightened level of police harassment isn't that surprising. But profoundly disappointing.

April 27, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rc

Well let's get something stright the people who are here legally have earned the right to be here and it does not matter what Country your from you must come legally. It does seem that everyone is targeting Mexicans and that is not fair as we have many people from all over, here illegally. It only seems that the Mexicans are target so much since we live on a boarder state with Mexico, and we do have a lot of Mexicans that are illegally here. The people who came to this Country legally think that all should come that way or go home, yes it takes time to come and cost money but your legal at that point and you never have to worry about anything. As far as carrying papers well I think we all should carry them no matter if you are a citzen or not show me a country that you visit that you don't have to keep you papers with you all time. Yes before the Mexican Governemt tell the World how America is treating there Citzens wrong and being tough at there boarder crossing they need to look in the MIRROR and see how they are treating people who are trying to come there illegally the last I checked they were shooting wome, children, men trying to cross there boarder illeaglly all we are asking is carry the proper paper work you won't get shot for not having them, you will only be escorted out. But I do think something needs to be done and soon it does cost money for the illegal people to be here and not just Mexicans all walks of life who are here illeaglly.

April 27, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sickandtired

To YouCantStopUs, post 1326
    You are a perfect example of the reverse HATE, RACISM, ARROGANCE and BIGOTRY which has been going on. You and other's like you are part of the reason why US citizens want you gone (I'm going to assume you are an illegal because you stated "you can't stop us"). This is NOT your country...we WILL take it back...you make me NO money – only cost me.
    I am making it a regular practice from now on to contact ICE every time I suspect a local construction company, landscape company, restaurant etc. of employing illegals. Gonna make your lives really difficult. I hope the door does hit you on your way out.

April 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sickandtired

1338 – HAHA!

April 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BORN.HERE

To: You Cant Stop Us,

ERES UNO DE LOS MIOS, We are taking over. Don't be surprise if the next President of the Unitaed States name is JOSE PEREZ.

April 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sickandtired

1338 – Can dish it out but you all can't take it huh? haha.

April 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mexican

Very racist law IMO, but the Mexican government has no business issuing this advisory, it is just a retalliation from the US warnings (well deserved, by the way, Mexico is war territory right now). US and Mexico governments need to agree on a plan for these people to work legally (and pay taxes) in American territory, inmigrants will be there, with or whitout it.

April 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CHRIS NM 505

Does anyone have any clue as to why the federal government cant handle the borders? They are called Drug cartels, they are so powerful that even our own government is afraid of the money they have. The violence is 100% drug gangs that will smuggle drugs, people, ammo, to the states.
    How do they get through? Well they either pay someone millions of dollars to get through or they threaten to kill that persons wife, daughter, family if they dont. Which would you pick? People are quick to point the finger however there is alot more to the story. Do not under estimate the Mexican Gangs called "latin Kings", Mexican Maphia, MS13. If you think you have a problem in AZ now, just wait until the Mexcian Drug Lords start really knocking on your door. The US does not have the resources to handle what these Drug Lords are capable of. That is why we cannot fully secure our borders. IT 'sCALLED CORRUPTION. This is real and people all over the country have no idea its happening. Ex Loredo TX.... Just sayin'

April 27, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joel

That's funny. The last time I was in Mexico, I had to carry a passport and a visa. But that didn't stop the federales from f___ing with me at a highway blockade ("checkpoint"), with threatening gestures and laughing between them just for their amusement anyway. What a bunch of hypocrites. I haven't been back to Mexico since then, and have no plans to ever go again.

April 27, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Don't like this at all!

I tend to vote Republican, not because I am one, but because I can’t wrap my brain around the core of the Democratic Party. I must say, this law stinks! Republicans believe in less government and we pass this? Of course we need to solve this problem. We need to stop being PC. Stop printing things in English and Spanish. We speak English here, learn it or you’re up you know what creek without a paddle. Why is that so hard? We can be welcoming without making it so darn easy; we are the only country that has yet to understand this. It will make us stronger if immigrants enter legally and are free to be an American, learn to read, write and speak English (otherwise why are they driving on our roads and why does my DMV give these test in Spanish when all of the road signs and alerts of road changes are written in English….think about this!?), and make the penalty on those who employ (take advantage) of these persons illegal status for their own profit, while selling the rest of us (legal immigrants included) down the river.
    Let's remember most of these illegals are just trying to make their lives better, so while they are breaking the law, we need to find a humane way to deal with it. It is also our fault they were able to cross our border. Let’s take some responsibility and blame the Federal government for not doing its job now and in the past.
    Let's remember our fellow AMERICAN citizens who are strolling along walking their dog could be stopped, asked for proof, not have it on them, and be taken in. Sure, all will be fine in the end, but this is not going to happen in my country and not to an American citizen!
    In the end, I will continue voting Republican because I have faith in those of us who are true Republicans. We can change this party back to the party of fiscal responsibility and not the party that wants to say who you can sleep with at night!

April 27, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MANI

I WOULD LIKE TO MEET UR STUPID ASS SICKANTIRED. THEN U WOULD HAVE A REASON MORE TO BE HAITING. IDIOTA.

April 27, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. YouCantStopUs

@sickandtired, I'm glad you feel that way buds. I'm glad someone has the balls to admit they're racist just like you. That's about the only thing I respect about your comment. Look above I already gave my address in case you want your savior ICE to come for me. I guarantee they take your call and tell you they're going to do something, but guess what I'm still here. Besides, it's fun to get a rise out of people like you. You say this is your country huh? And you're going to take it back? Let's talk in 20 years when your kids are mowing my lawn. LOL!

April 27, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100