April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. John

I am so proud Arizona has Politicians that listen to the LEGAL people and do what they need to do to make Arizona a better place to live. WTG ARIZONA!!

April 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. James

So..what are the options? How about we dig a 50 ft. moat along the border, load it with piranna, add a 20 foot wall with electrified razor wire on top and allow guards along the border to "shoot to kill" anyone trying to get in? Guess what? if no one attempts to cross illegally, NO ONE GETS HURT OR KILLED! How about that! The real problem is sitting in Washington trying hard to make us a welfare state willing to rob its own hard working people to support anythign and everything that wants to drop in. Pathetic and disgraceful!

April 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. joe

Mexico has travel warning for Arizona

better yet.. all Mexicans stay home.. we don't want or need you

April 27, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Teresa

So all of you who are for this rediculious law, are telling me that if I go to Arizona and I am Mexican and legal, the cops have the right to ask me whether I am legal or not just because I look and have a brown skin color. Give me a ^&*(( break, I am really going to be stopped and asked my status.

Then there should be a law passed if you look white then they should stop you and ask if you are part of the KKK.

Same thing! All you racial profilers get a life and stop being racist .

April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MATT

last i checked mexicans could still file for a visa to visit. you can VISIT, but please dont leach off the systems we've set up, and finally, go home.

April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. J. Holmes

Canadians........YOUR NEXT!!! I live in Michigan and they are everywhere....Arizona please help us!

April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Allison

So Chris, you carry papers with you everywhere you go? Because I was born in Pennsylvania 30 years ago, into a family that has been here for generations, and I don't have papers. I would assume anyone born here wouldn't. I agree that Arizona has an immigration problem, but this is not the appropriate way to go about it.

April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. asianguy

As an asian, I would rather see cops in AZ stop me and ask for documentation because that means they are doing their jobs protecting our borders. I'm a US citizen that's why. There's nothing wrong with being asked for documents. Besides, I don't look like one of those who cross the river or border to get here. I came here legally. That's why I am not afraid. Those who are here illegally should be scared because they have no right to be here.

April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Theresa

You just need one power-hungry cop to overstep his or her bounds. So, people who are there legally can be harassed based on this law. I think so long as people are trained to work in this area and don't let their egos get in the way, it should work. I just don't want to see innocent people treated badly because of misunderstandings or discrimination.

April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. WhayneGHale

im going to rob a bank . but sat im just visiting see of the legal status holds.

April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bebop

Those here who don't see anything wrong with being asked about citizenship are the very ones who would never have this question posed to them. Funny how many in the majority can poo poo a thing when it won't directly effect them.

April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ed

take a look in your pockets. How many of us could prove that we're legal if stopped by police right now?

April 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jennifev

After reading many of the posts, CNN readers are racist and naive. I am Mexican and the majority of my friends are Mexicans. Some of us are not obviously brown but some are very obvious especially when they speak English with an accent. Needless to say we are legal because we were either born here or have the "proper" papers. This law will give a legal excuse to pull over a brown individual in a nice car or question them when they are in a nice area,places I am when in Arizona. Besides who will clean your house, hotel rooms, pick our produce, change our baby diapers, make our knock off purses, and keep up our yards for cheap? We can't even get Americans to do this work without asking for at least minimum wage. Sadly I am not joking about this either

April 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cf

Would anyone on here leaving comments in favor of this law be in favor of you yourself being stopped and questioned several times a day every single day from here on out just because you left your house and appear hispanic?

I am white and don't live in Arizona, but I can clearly see how this law is going to lead to a police state in Arizona and unfairly punish every Hispanic-American living in that state and subject them to unreasonable harrassment and searches constantly.

Believe me, the illegal immigrants know how to hide from the law and not be seen. It's the people who are just trying to live their lives day-to-day LEGALLY who will be targeted.

April 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Terri

What most of you fail to realize is that this law doesn't just target "illegals." Every latino; legal and American citizen will be subject to unconstitutional harrassment. Shame on Arizona. And, especially, shame on all you "Americans" who have forgotten your own roots. We are all essentially immigrants, unless of course you're native american, which I doubt because we've subjected enough hatred towards them as well. This is truly embarrassing for our history. Oh, by the way, I'm white so don't waste your time thinking I'm one of those Mexicans you all like to discriminate against.

April 27, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100