April 27th, 2010

Mexico issues advisory for Arizona

Mexico's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday issued an advisory to Mexicans living and working in Arizona following the signing of a controversial law to stem illegal immigration in that state.

In Arizona "there is a negative political environment for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors," the advisory states.

The new law requires Arizona police to determine whether people are in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect they aren't.

Although the new law doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the close of the state's legislative session, the Mexican government advised its citizens in Arizona to begin carrying all immigration documents with them immediately "to avoid needless confrontations."

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican, signed the controversial legislation into law Friday. Supporters say it is needed to control illegal immigration.

The advisory points Mexicans in Arizona to the state's five Mexican consulates for legal advice if they feel they have been subjected to abuse by authorities.

"As long as no clear criteria are defined for when, where and who the authorities will inspect, it must be assumed that every Mexican citizen may be harassed and questioned without further cause at any time," the advisory states.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Mexico • World
soundoff (1,492 Responses)
  1. Jimmy

Don't like this at all! 1345. I too used to be a Republican. You are wrong. The party will never return to "fiscal responsibility". They say "No big govt." but as you can see their actions tell a different story. Please, I am not saying to vote Dem. But don't let the Republicans fool you. They have hijacked decent people and are taking them on a joy ride from hell. If you cannot vote Democrat then help form a third party that supports your views.

April 27, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Carlos R.

There is a lot of misunderstanding and ignorance floating around out there about the changed laws in Arizona. I’m 100% Mexican, but I was born in the United States. I didn’t have to go through all the steps people have to go through to become a citizen. I was very fortunate to be born in America. Legitimately I can say I understand people being fed up with illegal immigration, because frankly, I AM TOO!
    I was born in a border city where we had to deal with people coming over the border, disobeying our laws and doing as they please. I DO agree illegal is illegal. If someone wants to be here, he or she should have to go through the process that everyone that became a citizen went through.
    People are assuming that all Mexican citizens are opposed to this law change. That is not true. It’s the WAY in which Arizona choose to approach this. What gives them the right to question if I’m here illegally based solely on my skin color? That is blatant racism. There is absolutely NO WAY of being sure that someone is here illegally based on their skin color. Think of all the Europeans, Canadians, Asians, Islamic and hundreds of the other countries from where people were here on Visas they let expire, but failed to leave. Why should I have to worry about being arrested if for some reason I forget my identification at home? I’m pretty sure that everyone has at one point or another walked out without their ID. Does that merit someone getting arrested?
    So let’s say a Caucasian person walks out of their house without their wallet on their way to work. They get pulled over for speeding or whatever traffic violation and can’t show proof of citizenship. How would that person feel if they were arrested for not having any way to prove you’re a citizen? There is no way a Caucasian person would say it happens. That is total non-sense. As a LEGAL citizen would you be ok with knowing that you might lose a day of work and/or pay, or worst case scenario your job just because you were hassled by a cop who put you through the ringer just to find out you had a right to be here??!
    This is an issue that should NEVER have made its way to a state level; it should have remained a FEDERAL law. There is no way to get around this being a race issue, unless the police start randomly stopping ALL RACES, but this law targets strictly those of “darker color”. Again, I say, it’s not just some Mexicans here illegally; it is people from EVERY country. Open your eyes and see what this is going to do to the United States if other states follow suit with racial profiling. What was once a Country proud to be called a “Melting Pot” of nations, is now going to be a country filled with hatred for other races. It’s 2010 for goodness sakes; why are we regressing instead of growing and learning??

April 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. vicky

And while we are at it – let's discuss "anchor babies". As I see it, if you are born of illegal parents then you are also illegal. Everyone goes home.

Been here 30 years illegally? – go home!! You do not belong here. We can no longer afford to subsidize your life and 'liberty'!!

April 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

To youcantstopus: maybe your country (mexico) has a good idea after all...the same country that legally allows it's soldiers to shoot on sight Guatemalan's illegally entering their southern border...time to load up the rifles and defend the US border, since that is the only method you seem to understand.

April 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. YouCantStopUs

@BORN.HERE. Ya es hora que se den cuenta no? La Raza vive Cabrones!

April 27, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. James

Maybe the federal government will consider enforcing the immigration laws once the first dirty bomb makes its way here through MEXICO.

April 27, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sickandtired

1346 – ILLEGAL! TIME TO GO HOME.

April 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John

@ YouCantStopUs, when the government fails it's people (lacks balls), then it is up to the people to do what is necessary to protect and defend themselves.

April 27, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. j lo

If I do something illegal I will be in jail but its ok for people to break the law and live here illegally? I dont get it. I think its about time they are doing something about this situation, its long overdue. They get benefits from the government and drain the economy make kids they cant afford etc... If our ansestors had to come legally then why cant they? We have to spend money to teach there children to speak english and most jobs no require you to speak spanish and english why we are in AMERICA??? I dont want to press 1 for english its time for americans to take america back if you are here legally then you are american I dont care what race you are! Maybe I need to move to Arizona!

April 27, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Stephen from Sierra Vista, Arizona

I can't say that I'm entirely thrilled that this law has passed but I have to laugh in mockery because the Mexican Government had something to say about it. This, the same government that functions as a castrated entity against drug runners. Probably the main reason that they even have a comment about it is because they are so crooked that they know that this may stifle their cash flow they get from helping the drug lords in their own country. Hey Mexican Government: why don't you be quiet about issues we have in our government until you weed out the crooked thugs you have in your own government. What a frickin joke!!!

April 27, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Andre

I have to laugh when I hear Mexicans speak of racism. Mexico is the most racist country in the world. LA RAZA! The whole idea of "taking back" this land in the name of Mexico is inherently racist, as is much of Mexican culture.

April 27, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JOHN MARX

It's about time, everyone that knows me knows I've been waiting for this some time now and I am so excited it's here.. This should be nationwide. Send all illegals back and respect the quota system. Who gave them the right to say their suffering supercedes law. Let them go back and bleed for the rights in their country for change, maybe even change it so much they can adopt our way of living there. Instead they rather march on the blood of those who already fought for thier rights here and suffered. Our civil right martars did it for us (U.S. citizens) not for illegals. Those hypocrites, then you even see them go to church as illegals. They are a cirminal over there and over here.. their government does not condone their acts and niether will we. They should respect the laws of thier land.

April 27, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Andre

How many blacks, asians do you see in Mexico? Not many. You know why? Mexico is an intolerant, race-based country that would never have blacks and asians in large numbers, never. Central America, South America and the Caribbean have huge black mixed populations. Not Mexico, not the country of LA RAZA!

Mexico is completely racist.

April 27, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Karl Marx

It's about time, everyone that knows me knows I've been waiting for this some time now and I am so excited it's here. The citizens need to learn thier place. Now the state has proper authority, now the state can ensure a proper order.

April 27, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jimmy

TIM D IN AZ BLAH BLAH BLAH CAPS BLAH CAPS BLAH CAPS BLAHCAPS BLAHCAPS BLAHCAPS BLAHCAPS BLAHCAPS BLAHCAPS BLAHCAPS BLAHCAPS BLAHCAPS BLAH!

April 27, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100